Yorkshire Ballet Seminars (YBS) 2023

MissEmily

Thank you! She has been to YBS every year for the last 3 years, and this is first year she got a scholarship so very pleased. Yes they were at York, but when Iain took over it moved to Harrogate. Will be interesting to see what the new director does :)

• Like 1

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
On 07/01/2023 at 00:07, Babyballerinamum said:

I’d be interested in people’s experiences of the SI, especially for younger boarders. Thank you!

My DD is 12. She’s been twice, boarding and loved it. Applying again this year. 
mid you have any questions happy to answer. 

My DD went last summer at 10 (almost 11) and loved it. A good mix of classes and down time and the campus is lovely. The younger students were in rooms of 3/4 across two floors I believe. There were some fairly casual activities arranged in the evenings from memory but they were optional, I think DD ended up joining in sometimes but also liked relaxing in the evenings either all piled into one of the rooms or out in the grounds (it was a very hot week!). 

On the final morning there was a demonstration which was a lovely chance to see what they had got up to.

I can't really comment on the pastoral care if there was any homesickness or other upset as we didn't have any issues and DD is very self-sufficient but I'd imagine it's good - DD thought all the house parents were friendly and approachable. 

1 hour ago, Ballet_dancer2020 said:

Does anyone know usual number of applicants versus accepted and whether  it's mainly for children at vocational school? I saw this was a question on the application so now wondering if it's appropriate for my daughter. Thanks for any insights! 😊

It's quite hard to get a place, I know of plenty of vocational students who have got waiting list (often getting a place after all). I definitely wouldn't let that put you off applying though, you never know!

3 hours ago, WhatsThePointe said:

It's quite hard to get a place, I know of plenty of vocational students who have got waiting list (often getting a place after all). I definitely wouldn't let that put you off applying though, you never know!

Thank you for the info, really appreciate it - helps in managing expectations! 😊

I'd agree, think it's pretty hard to get a place although there are three weeks of it and classes aren't very small so there's a fair chance. In the younger group there were quite a few at vocational school but also some y5/6, most of whom were associates and several of whom were about to start vocational after the summer. There were also a few, however, who perhaps hadn't done quite as much but still seemed to be having a happy and beneficial week. 

On 11/01/2023 at 16:07, AllAboutTheJourney said:

I'd agree, think it's pretty hard to get a place although there are three weeks of it and classes aren't very small so there's a fair chance. In the younger group there were quite a few at vocational school but also some y5/6, most of whom were associates and several of whom were about to start vocational after the summer. There were also a few, however, who perhaps hadn't done quite as much but still seemed to be having a happy and beneficial week. 

Thank you again, my DD is younger so plenty of time. Will give it a go, sounds like would be a fabulous experience - they can only say no! 😊

• 3 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, Ballet_dancer2020 said:

We had our sad no this afternoon so maybe worth checking...

Sorry to hear that hope your DC is ok 🥰 I still havent had an email so thinking not great news here either. Its late now so dont expect an email today now. Looks like from here they came out around 5 xx

15 minutes ago, Tuliprose said:

Sorry to hear that hope your DC is ok 🥰 I still havent had an email so thinking not great news here either. Its late now so dont expect an email today now. Looks like from here they came out around 5 xx

Yes ours came around then. She's ok thanks, she knew it would be a big ask but at least she tried. Hope you get better news tomorrow x

1 hour ago, Tuliprose said:

We got our email at 5pm fingers crossed for you, your email may have just bounced back. They emailed during the application process saying they’d had some issues with emails x