The Royal Ballet in Doncaster, 23rd/24th September 2022

What with all the Covid-related reschedulings, I've been prompted by a post in the Tickets forum selling tickets to realise that we don't actually have a thread for this, so here is one!

The Royal Ballet in Doncaster | Royal Opera House’s multi-year partnership with Doncaster Council and Cast | Ballet News | Straight from the stage - bringing you ballet insights

Given that the link is several months old, scheduling, dancers etc. may have changed.

If you do some Googling, you may find some local competitions to win tickets which are still open ...

33 minutes ago, alison said:

What with all the Covid-related reschedulings, I've been prompted by a post in the Tickets forum selling tickets to realise that we don't actually have a thread for this, so here is one!

The Royal Ballet in Doncaster | Royal Opera House’s multi-year partnership with Doncaster Council and Cast | Ballet News | Straight from the stage - bringing you ballet insights

Given that the link is several months old, scheduling, dancers etc. may have changed.

If you do some Googling, you may find some local competitions to win tickets which are still open ...

But nothing (that I can find at least) on the ROH website.

If this event is part of their inclusion/outreach drive (mandate?), they should at least advertise it.  

Edited by oncnp

1 hour ago, oncnp said:

But nothing (that I can find at least) on the ROH website.

If this event is part of their inclusion/outreach drive (mandate?), they should at least advertise it.  

Why?  It's advertised locally and bookable through the theatre in Doncaster.  One performance is pretty much sold out and the other has only a handful of seats left.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, bangorballetboy said:

Why?  It's advertised locally and bookable through the theatre in Doncaster.  One performance is pretty much sold out and the other has only a handful of seats left.

I believe these performances have been rescheduled from those originally due to take place in 2020.  I couldn't go to the originally revised dates in 2021 so this has sadly passed me by as I could have gone this week!

Northern Ballet performed at Cast a couple of times when they were touring smaller venues and I think it's a fabulous theatre but the stage is rather small.

I hope this and the Diamonds bill selling well will encourage RB to programme more galas in future. Either outside of London (probably a stretch) or in! 

will be intrigued to read reports from those that go and what they perform. 

• Like 1

I had tickets for the event cancelled during lockdown but am occupied elsewhere this weekend. Originally Fede Bonelli was running the project but he has now moved on.

I think to manage expectations, it is important to clarify that this isn’t advertised as a gala but as special performances. As such, it will be interesting to see what is presented..

“Experience first-hand the extraordinary power of ballet as The Royal Ballet perform at Cast for the first time.

Led by Director Kevin O’Hare, the Company presents a programme of classic and modern dance from their acclaimed repertoire, performed- by some of the most extraordinary artists gracing the world stage today.

These special performances form part of an extended partnership between the Royal Opera House, Cast, Doncaster Council and Doncaster Creates, with the aim of working with every school in Doncaster to inspire children and young
people. This initiative was introduced before the pandemic in 2019 and will now run until July 2023, creating invaluable opportunities to develop young talent through dance, music and theatre craft.”
  • Thanks 1

The ROH IG account has just now put up a picture and announcement ending with "Head to the link in bio for the full announcement."

Except, as of now, there is no link in the bio.  

Update: The link is now up (I messaged them but doubt that was the reason) but no additional info about the performances. 

Edited by oncnp

21 minutes ago, oncnp said:

The ROH IG account has just now put up a picture and announcement ending with "Head to the link in bio for the full announcement."

Except, as of now, there is no link in the bio.  

Update: The link is now up (I messaged them but doubt that was the reason) but no additional info about the performances. 

Clicking on the link brings up a series of buttons, the first of which says "The Royal Ballet in Doncaster" and links to the Cast Theatre page.

• Like 1

Just now, bangorballetboy said:

Clicking on the link brings up a series of buttons, the first of which says "The Royal Ballet in Doncaster" and links to the Cast Theatre page.

As I noted above 

2 minutes ago, bangorballetboy said:

You also noted that there was no additional info but there is if you follow the link to the Cast Theatre page.

Sorry - wasn't clear.  I did not see any casting information. Could you link to it?

Isn’t a gala just a special performance? The blurb states they will be dancing a programme of classic and modern dance which sounds a lot like a gala to me? 

(not trying to be antagonistic just not sure if “gala” has some other special meaning I’m not aware of?)

• Like 1

On 20/09/2022 at 19:00, Lizbie1 said:

They don't generally publish details of galas held at ROH either. I wish they would but it's nothing new.

I must admit I generally never go to galas at ROH as they used to be very expensive with only (my opinion) too short snippets of ballets and a lot of opera bits I didn’t like, but in May 2018 I came across a social media post from Robert Fairchild saying that he and Leanne Cope would be dancing a pas de deux from Wheeldon’s An American in Paris, so with about only a week to go,  I got the last pair of non-restricted view seats left! It turned to be brilliant (Vadim dancing the Blessed Spirits solo for the first time, Hayward and Ball dancing the Unknown Soldier pas de deux- she still hasn’t danced the full ballet yet because of the  Cats  film)....and only one opera bit I didn’t like after all! Yes, they ought to confirm who they are sure will be appearing. PS that gala was discussed here on this forum in Dec 2017 but I wasn’t aware of the forum yet. 😁 I believe you announced it, Lizbie1! From your Friends mailing information....I’ve only just found the thread. What a coincidence. 😁)

1 hour ago, JNC said:

Isn’t a gala just a special performance? The blurb states they will be dancing a programme of classic and modern dance which sounds a lot like a gala to me? 

(not trying to be antagonistic just not sure if “gala” has some other special meaning I’m not aware of?)

I think when they say gala it should have some sort of celebration or special purpose eg to celebrate an anniversary, pay tribute to a person/organisation, serve as a grand occasion to raise funds for an important cause/charity, etc. Otherwise it would technically be called a recital or variety performance, or a mixed programme. Many performances in Asia or the Pacific are often just mixed bills/variety programmes of various pas de deux, solos, the occasional pas de six or other group dance, usually classical plus one or two contemporary. They’re not galas but the standard theatre fare, as they either don’t have a resident ballet company or are too far away from their national or regional ballet company. (We’re really lucky to have so many excellent ballet companies in Britain.) PS of course that doesn’t stop some show presenters from calling their programme a gala to make it sound more special and festive so that higher prices can be charged. (“Gala? What are you celebrating or paying tribute to?” “We’re celebrating the fact that the show is happening!  We’re paying tribute to the excellent dancers we have!”)  😂

On 20/09/2022 at 20:22, JNC said:

I hope this and the Diamonds bill selling well will encourage RB to programme more galas in future. Either outside of London (probably a stretch) or in! 

will be intrigued to read reports from those that go and what they perform. 

They really should schedule another gala at ROH. Audiences will pay more for rare items on a gala programme - that year, it was Blessed Spirits, which wasn’t planned to be repeated, Leanne and Robbie, Unknown Soldier. And singers Pretty Yende and Hraruchi Bassenz, who weren’t scheduled to appear with them that year, who were incredible in their arias. We all know the ROH needs the income from a special gala! Also, am still waiting for the cancelled 2020 ROH Gala with Roberto Bolle’s participation advertised (a rare bit of announced casting!) to be rescheduled! 

Slight digression from Doncaster to Covent Garden, sorry 😉 

.....as you were. 😁 Yes, anyone who can attend the Doncaster one (unfortunately I can’t), do let us know how it went, please. 

Edited by Emeralds
  • Like 1

Thanks @Emeralds

yes I’m puzzled why ROH haven’t (yet) rescheduled the cancelled Spring 2020 Gala - that one was due to a mix of ballet and opera (I would have gone), but obviously would be happy (and prefer to be honest) a solely ballet one. I think that Gala was due to be a fundraising effort, it seems odd they haven’t tried to do one post pandemic given they keep going on about £3 in every £5 lost etc…a Gala (or two) would surely be a good idea, the last one sold out quickly and was priced higher than regular performances. 

(sorry to sidetrack further)

• Like 2

On 23/09/2022 at 18:06, RHowarth said:

Cast sheet for tonight. Hope the upload works!

20220923_180306.jpg

20220923_180312.jpg

Thank you RHowarth! What did you think of the show? I’d love to have seen it.

If they’d programmed that on the Covent Garden stage for a RB gala, I would definitely pay gala prices to attend. What fun casting!  For those of you who haven’t seen Steven McRae in his tap solo to Vittorio Monti’s virtuoso violin solo, Czardas, you definitely have to see it live- it is spectacular. Intrigued to see repertoire from Paris Opera (Le Parc) & ENB (Ben Stevenson’s Three Preludes) which are of course popular gala items. Wheeldon’s Within the Golden Hour pas de deux (originally made for Maria Kochetkova when she was at San Francisco Ballet but frequently danced by Sarah Lamb at RB who is amazing in it) is gorgeous and the fast duet for two men is spectacular. 

A pity they didn’t/couldn’t publicise the programme and casting in advance or I’d have made arrangements to go to Doncaster to see it. But if Alex Beard and Kevin O’Hare are contemplating the idea of a fundraising gala for RB at ROH, this programme would be a good one (please don’t forget we are still waiting for Roberto Bolle, gentlemen- maybe he could do the Swan Lake pas de deux or a McGregor pas de deux? ) 😀

Edited by Emeralds
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, capybara said:Why Bolle? I would much rather see some of the younger RB artists dancing, as in Doncaster.

Only because he was in the 2020 gala that was cancelled due to Covid and so far hasn’t been rescheduled.  It would still include the younger artists of course. Eg Charlotte and Lukas could dance the Act 2 pas de deux while he dances Act 3. Or he could dance the Borderlands pas de deux with Melissa Hamilton which I’ve never seen on stage here (Borderlands wasn’t made for RB but for SFB). It doesn’t have to have Bolle if his schedule is already full, of course. Just getting the gala on stage at ROH would be fantastic, for audiences, for the dancers, and for their box office income. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, capybara said:

Why Bolle? I would much rather see some of the younger RB artists dancing, as in Doncaster.

And also because (I assume) he is approaching the end of his stage career so we might not have many, if any, further opportunities to see him here.  And from a personal point of view....I had just started reading ballet.co.uk in 2003.  Some guy called Graham Watts advertised that he had a spare last-minute ticket for R&J starring Bolle/Ferri at the ROH that night if someone could get down there at short notice.  I could, so I got in touch, we met up, he very generously didn't want any money for the ticket (which was Grand Tier) and so I met him for the first time....and saw a spectacular performance.  That was the first time I had ever bought a ticket from someone on the site!  Furthermore, Roberto was the first person I ever interviewed for ballet.co.uk.  So he has a special place in the ballet part of my heart.  And not forgetting that I am half Italian...  :)

• Like 9

46 minutes ago, Sim said:

And also because (I assume) he is approaching the end of his stage career so we might not have many, if any, further opportunities to see him here.  And from a personal point of view....I had just started reading ballet.co.uk in 2003.  Some guy called Graham Watts advertised that he had a spare last-minute ticket for R&J starring Bolle/Ferri at the ROH that night if someone could get down there at short notice.  I could, so I got in touch, we met up, he very generously didn't want any money for the ticket (which was Grand Tier) and so I met him for the first time....and saw a spectacular performance.  That was the first time I had ever bought a ticket from someone on the site!  Furthermore, Roberto was the first person I ever interviewed for ballet.co.uk.  So he has a special place in the ballet part of my heart.  And not forgetting that I am half Italian...  :)

Grand Tier, Sim! A dream outing. 😁 I was at that performance. I think there was only one? Maybe two....but I presume it was for the first one if Graham was covering it. I got a last minute ticket (from returns) in the Front Amphitheatre when the Evening Standard announced inside the theatre listings that Ferri was replacing, at short notice, (I think) Darcey Bussell due to injury. It was also Ferri’s return to ROH for the first time since she resigned to join ABT.  I hadn’t seen Ferri dance on stage since 1984, and only ever saw her dance Juliet on the 1984 recording on video before that evening, but she looked and danced like a day hadn’t passed since that famous recording! They were both spectacular- the whole performance was. One of my favourite ballet performances of all time. Great memories! 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Rob S said:

Gutted I didn't check out exactly what this event was earlier, I could've got to this using my free rail staff travel and gone to the matinee!!🤦‍♂️

Next year!!!!!

I’m both sad that RobS missed out on a good show and that we’ve missed out on some great curtain call photos! 

Edited by Emeralds
  • Like 2

38 minutes ago, Emeralds said:

Grand Tier, Sim! A dream outing. 😁 I was at that performance. I think there was only one? Maybe two....but I presume it was for the first one if Graham was covering it. I got a last minute ticket (from returns) in the Front Amphitheatre when the Evening Standard announced inside the theatre listings that Ferri was replacing, at short notice, (I think) Darcey Bussell due to injury. It was also Ferri’s return to ROH for the first time since she resigned to join ABT.  I hadn’t seen Ferri dance on stage since 1984, and only ever saw her dance Juliet on the 1984 recording on video before that evening, but she looked and danced like a day hadn’t passed since that famous recording! They were both spectacular- the whole performance was. One of my favourite ballet performances of all time. Great memories! 

Absolutely.  Tbh the reason I went was to see Ferri in her signature role!  Graham wasn’t covering it;  back then he was just a chap who posted on ballet.Co.uk !  The good tix were because it was a special treat for him and his wife, but she couldn’t come at the last minute.  Poor her but lucky, lucky me!  😀

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Sim said:

Absolutely.  Tbh the reason I went was to see Ferri in her signature role!  Graham wasn’t covering it;  back then he was just a chap who posted on ballet.Co.uk !  The good tix were because it was a special treat for him and his wife, but she couldn’t come at the last minute.  Poor her but lucky, lucky me!  😀

Oh wow, that was indeed a long time ago....hadn’t realised how long it was! Incredibly, Ferri and Bolle are still dancing, which is fantastic for the art form. I do agree- poor Graham’s wife, I hope she got to see them later (whether in R&J or in other ballets, or with different partners). 

• Like 1