Men in Motion’s 10th anniversary show - London Coliseum on Sunday 6 November.

Guest oncnp

Guest oncnp

Male ballet stars line up for Men in Motion’s 10th anniversary show (gramilano.com)

The programme for the evening includes extracts from classical ballets and contemporary works and will be accompanied by a live orchestra. There will also be a world premiere by Arthur Pita as well as his solo piece Volver, Volver, performed by Watson. Fokine’s Le Spectre de la Rose and works by Serge Lifar and Bronislava Nijinska are in the programme, which will be announced shortly.

Edited by oncnp

Men in Motion will feature performances by principals of The Royal Ballet, Matthew Balland Vadim Muntagirov, former Royal Ballet Principals, Ivan Putrov and Edward Watson, senior artist with Ballet Black, José Alves, principal with Royal Swedish Ballet, Dmitry Zagrebin, first Soloists of The Royal Ballet, Luca Acri and Joseph Sissens, soloist of Stuttgart Ballet, Matteo Miccini, and first artist of The Royal Ballet, Leo Dixon.

What a great provisional cast list! Hope it starts early and finishes early, so that we can go! 

And the press release:

PRESS RELEASE

THURSDAY 28 JULY 2022

Ivan Putrov’s

MEN IN MOTION

10 Year Anniversary

London Coliseum

Sunday 6 November 2022

Performance at 7.30pm

londoncoliseum.org

a pretty wonderful case for the male dancer The Guardian 

This autumn, Men in Motion celebrates its 10th anniversary with a special one-off performance at the London Coliseum on Sunday 6 November. Originally conceived a decade ago by Ivan Putrov, dancer, producer and former Principal of The Royal Ballet, Men in Motion sees the male dancer take centre stage, showcasing the development and evolution of men in ballet over the last century.

Men in Motion features performances from internationally renowned ballet stars including Principals of The Royal Ballet, Matthew Ball and Vadim Muntagirov, former Royal Ballet Principals, Ivan Putrov and Edward Watson, Senior Artist with Ballet Black, José Alves, Principal with Royal Swedish Ballet, Dmitry Zagrebin, First Soloists of The Royal Ballet, Luca Acri and Joseph Sissens, Soloist of Stuttgart Ballet, Matteo Miccini, and First Artist of The Royal Ballet, Leo Dixon.

The programme for the evening includes a range of much-loved classical ballets and contemporary works from some of the most exciting names in dance, accompanied by a live orchestra, including the world premiere of a new work by award-winning choreographer Arthur Pita as well as his acclaimed solo Volver, Volver. Alongside these will be Fokine’s Le Spectre de la Rose and works by Serge Lifar andBronislava Nijinska. Full casting and repertoire to be announced shortly.

Of Men in Motion, Ivan Putrov said: “For over ten years we have shared the history of men in ballet with audiences around the world, celebrating the talent and virtuosity of male dancers who have emerged from the shadows as supporting artists to take centre stage. I am incredibly proud that in that time we have presented bold new works, ground-breaking classics and contemporary masterpieces performed by some of the world’s greatest dancers. For this tenth anniversary I am delighted to welcome our outstanding cast of dancers to the stage at the London Coliseum for audiences to enjoy and share the beauty of Men in Motion.” 

Ukrainian born former Principal of The Royal Ballet, Ivan Putrov has performed lead roles in all of the classics on some of the world’s most prestigious stages, winning numerous awards throughout his career. He has worked with leading names in the creative industries including Mario Testino, Gary Hume, Sam Taylor-Johnson and Pet Shop Boys, who created The Most Incredible Thing on him. In 2012 Ivan conceived Men in Motion, which has since had three successful runs in London as well as in Italy, Moscow, Poland and Ukraine. In 2022 Ivan produced a fundraising gala for his home country, Dance for Ukraine, which raised over £160,000 for the Disaster Emergency Committee’s Ukraine Humanitarian Appeal. Ivan is the founder of Inspiration in Motion, a charity that promotes dance and the performing arts. 

- Ends -

Notes to editors

Tickets go on general sale on Monday 1 August from 10am via londoncoliseum.org

Casting and repertoire are subject to change. For up to date information see londoncoliseum.org

• Like 1

Good to see a lot more of these one off ballet galas being programmed! 

Sunday is a bit of an odd night though, certainly for people outside London trains are likely to be less frequent (if running at all) and doesn’t allow for overnight stays like Friday/Saturday if you have work the next day. 

Hope it sells well regardless and interested to see the repertoire! 

Sunday is often a ‘dark night’ for theatres which have productions running on the other days of the week. It is often chosen for ‘one off’s’ such as galas and ‘concert performances’ of musicals. Whilst not being ideal for those travelling from afar, it has the spin off  benefit of allowing industry peers to attend who might otherwise be working. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, PeterS said:

Sunday is often a ‘dark night’ for theatres which have productions running on the other days of the week. It is often chosen for ‘one off’s’ such as galas and ‘concert performances’ of musicals. Whilst not being ideal for those travelling from afar, it has the spin off  benefit of allowing industry peers to attend who might otherwise be working. 

And those taking part would definitely not be performing with their companies on a Sunday night, so programming it then means there are no clashes.  

• Like 2

Guest oncnp
On 29/07/2022 at 10:41, Emeralds said:

What a great provisional cast list! Hope it starts early and finishes early, so that we can go! 

Starts at 7:30 PM according to the booking page

Unfortunately as this does look very interesting it’s unlikely can attend if in the winter on a Sunday as often the rail line from Brighton is a bus service for half the journey …all right going up but not okay for going home late. 
If by any chance it’s a weekend off the rail works and it finishes very latest 10pm then might be able to go. 

I also can’t figure out why row C is £40 only to jump back up to £60 for the behind Row D.

perhaps even the third row of the Coli suffers from restricted view issues but that doesn’t explain why the central section of row C is £60. 

But yes looking very pricey with few £25 tickets. 

I think full casting and repertoire will need to be anointed to sway me I think!

4 hours ago, JNC said:

I think full casting and repertoire will need to be anointed to sway me I think!

Yes, I'm waiting for that too. If the repertoire is mostly classical then I might to be prepared to fork out for the rather high prices but not if it's going to mostly be modern.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

Yes, I'm waiting for that too. If the repertoire is mostly classical then I might to be prepared to fork out for the rather high prices but not if it's going to mostly be modern.

Agree Dawnstar! I found a review of a previous Men in Motion (from 2017 maybe?) and described the first piece as 20 minutes of mad monologuing (not even dancing!). Which didn’t sound like my thing at all. 

(And I meant announced rather than anointed! Will blame autocorrect…)

• Like 1

Am hoping Vadim will do Spectre de la Rose as I've never seen him and I think he would be terrific. Whether even that would persuade me to go I'm not sure given it will be an overnight stay for me. I was hoping for a late matinee. However, Sunday accommodation in London can be cheap so I might wait and see the rep and then have a think. Just I've already shelled out huge amounts on tickets and accommodation for Mayerling and Ukraine Giselle and the train fares are also expensive.

• Like 1

No I haven't seen it, oncnp and thanks very much for posting it. He was just as amazing as I thought he would be. Those port de bras! The turns where he seems to hover in mid air! Might have to try and see him if he's doing that, for goodness knows when we'll get to see him do it at the ROH. I see it's followed by the second act of Giselle with Klimitova. Must have to watch this too as I haven't seen it for ages. Tend to watch the RB version. 

Thanks again,  oncnp.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, oncnp said:

As is generously noted, the tickets - at £220 - are 'SERIOUSLY UNDERPRICED' - The capitalisation and 'exact notation' is as per the authors.  

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

More detail has been announced:

Ivan Putrov’s

MEN IN MOTION

10 Year Anniversary

London Coliseum

Sunday 6 November 2022

Performance at 7.30pm

londoncoliseum.org/mim

This autumn, Men in Motion celebrates its 10th anniversary with a special one-off performance featuring 18 internationally renowned dancers performing over 20 pieces from much-loved classical ballets and contemporary works, at the London Coliseum on Sunday 6 November. 

Originally conceived a decade ago by Ivan Putrov, dancer, producer and former Principal of The Royal Ballet, Men in Motion sees the male dancer take centre stage, showcasing the development and evolution of men in ballet over the last century. Joining Ivan on stage will be stars of The Royal Ballet, Matthew Ball, Fumi Kaneko, Vadim Muntagirov and Edward Watson alongside dancers from Ballet Black, Birmingham Royal Ballet, Dutch National Ballet, English National Ballet, Royal Swedish Ballet, and Stuttgart Ballet. 

The programme for the evening includes a new creation by award-winning choreographer Arthur Pita, plus works by Frederick Ashton, Matthew Bourne,Christopher Bruce, Serge Lifar, Hans van Manen, Bronislava Nijinska, Rudolf Nureyev, and Christopher Wheeldon. The evening features a live orchestra, The Paradisal Players, conducted by Samuel Burstin.

Ukrainian born former Principal of The Royal Ballet, Ivan Putrov has performed lead roles in all of the classics on some of the world’s most prestigious stages, winning numerous awards throughout his career. He has worked with leading names in the creative industries including Mario Testino, Gary Hume, Sam Taylor-Johnson and Pet Shop Boys, who created The Most Incredible Thing on him. In 2012 Ivan conceived Men in Motion, which has since had three successful runs in London as well as in Italy, Moscow, Poland and Ukraine. In 2022 Ivan produced a fundraising gala for his home country, Dance for Ukraine, which raised over £160,000 for the Disaster Emergency Committee’s Ukraine Humanitarian Appeal. Ivan is the founder of Inspiration in Motion, a charity that promotes dance and the performing arts.

Repertoire and casting for Men in Motion, Sunday 6 November 2022

Repertoire and casting are subject to change

5 Tangos

Choreographed by Hans van Manen

Performed by Koyo Yamamoto (Dutch National Ballet)

Adagio

Choreographed by Alexey Miroshnichenko

Performed by Vadim Muntagirov (The Royal Ballet)

Äffi

Choreographed by Marco Goecke

Performed by Matteo Miccini (Stuttgart Ballet)

Bloom

Choreographed by Milena Sidorova

Performed by Isaac Mueller, Guillermo Torres, Koyo Yamamoto (Dutch National Ballet)

Dance of the blessed spirits  

Choreographed by Frederick Ashton

Performed by Ivan Putrov

Eightfold: LOVE

Choreographed by Peter Leung

Performed by José Alves (Ballet Black)

Originally commissioned as part of EIGHTFOLD, a film by Cassa Pancho's Ballet Black, and performed with special permission from the Company

Fremd 

Choreographed and performed by Jack Easton (Birmingham Royal Ballet)

Gopak - Andriy’s solo from Taras Bulba

Choreographed by Rostislav Zakharov

Performed by Dmitry Zagrebin (Royal Swedish Ballet)

Lacrymosa

Choreographed by Edward Stierle

Le train Bleu

Choreographed by Bronislava Nijinska

Performed by José Alves (Ballet Black)

New creation by Arthur Pita

Performed by Edward Watson

Rose solo

Choreographed by Milena Sidorova

Performed by Isaac Mueller (Dutch National Ballet)

SSS

Choreographed by Edward Clug

Performed by Matteo Miccini (Stuttgart Ballet)

Spectre de la rose

Choreographed by Michael Fokine

Performed by Luca Acri and Fumi Kaneko (The Royal Ballet)

Suite en blanc, Mazurka

Choreographed by Serge Lifar

Swan Lake, Prince’s variation act 1

Choreographed by Rudolf Nureyev

Performed by Vadim Muntagirov (The Royal Ballet)

Swan Lake

Choreographed by Matthew Bourne

Performed by Luca Acri and Matthew Ball (The Royal Ballet)

Swansong - Opening trio and solo

Choreographed by Christoper Bruce

Performed by Matthew Ball (The Royal Ballet) and Henry Dowden, Miguel Angel Maidana, Victor Prigent (English National Ballet)

Us

Choreographed by Christopher Wheeldon

Performed by Matthew Ball and Joseph Sissens (The Royal Ballet)

Originally commissioned by BalletBoyz

Volver, Volver

Choreographed by Arthur Pita

Performed by Leo Dixon (The Royal Ballet)

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

i'd love to go but it's tech day for Irving Stage Company's Hello, Dolly - shameless plug - but honestly i hope there might be some streaming of this or something along those lines, and I look forward to reading about it here. Mind you train strikes mean i probably could not have gone anyway! what a tempting programme though ...

• 2 weeks later...
38 minutes ago, FionaE said:

I really hope last minute ticket sales pick up … there are still 900 seats unsold.

It’s a travesty for such a fabulous and interesting programme performed by some of the best dancers of this generation. 

I agree but the date is surrounded by rail/tube strikes and people are understandably nervous about committing themselves.

Then there is the cost of living issue…….

Those of us who are there are just going to have to make more noise although that won’t close the hole in Ivan’s budget.

• Like 1

Interesting thought the cost of living issue … I note that umpteen Nutcrackers are fully sold out at eye-watering prices at ROH.  

I’d rather see this one-off special live and then the cinema relay of Nutcracker.  

And  yes … you and Ivan can count on me to give extra enthusiastic applause 😉

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, FionaE said:

Interesting thought the cost of living issue … I note that umpteen Nutcrackers are fully sold out at eye-watering prices at ROH.  

The ones prior to New Years at any rate....and the target audience for the Nutcracker are probably different (and very much larger) than the one for MIM

55 minutes ago, oncnp said:

The ones prior to New Years at any rate....and the target audience for the Nutcracker are probably different (and very much larger) than the one for MIM

Going to The Nutcracker is a family Christmas tradition.

MIM has to generate its audience from scratch. It must be soooooo hard for them.

• Like 3