Scottish Ballet: The Crucible 2022

On 10/06/2022 at 14:40, PeterS said:

The Crucible is being danced at Sadlers Wells 14-18 June 2022 so I’ve set up this thread for any thoughts thereon. It got good reviews in 2019. (Mods I couldn’t find a current thread, feel free to merge if I’ve missed one).

I’m going to try and see if we can squeeze this in, but we do have a lot of stuff and other events going on this week... it feels like all of arts land is trying to squeeze 2 years’ worth of missed performances into this month. 😅 I could do with a time travelling device like the Time-Turner in Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (or and the Cursed Child) to see all the ones I’m interested in. 😆 Their rehearsal photos look great. 

• Like 2

I saw this production in Glasgow in September 2019 and found it most moving and impressive. The performance was well attended at the Theatre Royal, appearing to have attracted a wide range of ages, who were drawn by the subject matter as much as wishing to see a dance performance.

Choreography by Helen Pickett and score by Peter Salem were nominated for the NDA awards that year, as was the performance of Nicholas Shoesmith as John Proctor. I found that the set design and lighting design by David Flynn also added greatly to the increasingly oppressive atmosphere in the piece.

I see that Scottish Ballet are scheduled to take this production to Nashville and Washington DC in the States in 2023, postponed from 2020. In the next couple of years, the choreographer Helen Pickett has commissions for the National Ballet of Canada, Western Australian Ballet, Boston Ballet and the Dutch National Ballet.

I have seen comments about the desire to see various dance companies visit the UK. I also note however, comments that attendance at London performances by ‘outside’ companies has also frequently been poor in the last few years, which does not auger well for potential return visits from them, and may well put off other companies from contemplating a visit to the capital. The visit by San Francisco Ballet to Sadler’s Wells in May 2019, which resulted in a NDA award for the company, and the award for classical choreography for Alexei Ratmansky’s Shostakovich Trilogy in the same year as The Crucible was nominated, was just such a case. I imagine it will be a very long time, if at all, before the company appears again in the UK.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, alisonruss said:

I have seen comments about the desire to see various dance companies visit the UK. I also note however, comments that attendance at London performances by ‘outside’ companies has also frequently been poor in the last few years, which does not auger well for potential return visits from them, and may well put off other companies from contemplating a visit to the capital. The visit by San Francisco Ballet to Sadler’s Wells in May 2019, which resulted in a NDA award for the company, and the award for classical choreography for Alexei Ratmansky’s Shostakovich Trilogy in the same year as The Crucible was nominated, was just such a case. I imagine it will be a very long time, if at all, before the company appears again in the UK.

I think timing matters a lot - I seem to remember (though I could be confusing it with another visit) that the SFB season coincided exactly (and unusually) with quite a few other ballet performances in London on the same evenings. I'm sure audiences would have been bigger if that hadn't been the case.

1 hour ago, bridiem said:

I think timing matters a lot - I seem to remember (though I could be confusing it with another visit) that the SFB season coincided exactly (and unusually) with quite a few other ballet performances in London on the same evenings. I'm sure audiences would have been bigger if that hadn't been the case.

Was there also some discussion on whether it would have been a good idea to allow some sort of discounted subscription?

1 hour ago, bridiem said:

I went to R&J, the Firebird mixed bill and the Fonteyn gala while managing to catch all four programmes. I'm used to packing things in to minimise travel so I was pretty happy with the timing but obviously I'm not typical.

I really enjoyed seeing that run but as well as the timing I also wonder if programming that many (largely abstract) one-act ballets in London was a good idea. And by the end I had a hard time remembering which piece was which, Ratmansky, Scarlett and Marsden (all previously familiar choreographers) aside.

• Like 1

Well tonight’s opening performance at Sadlers Wells was frustrating to say the least. Doubtlessly meticulously conceived and put together, the dancers and the dancing were high calibre. The music dark and dramatic on line with the story. Sadly, the staging lets the production down by trying to be dark and dramatic too, succeeding only in obscuring the choreography and the acting. To see another production blighted by dressing dancers in black from head to toe including boots and shoes and placing them against an underlit black or nearly black background so that much of the choreography is lost makes me want to scream. Act 1 & the second half of Act 2 suffered from this. The first half of Act 2 when the lights were brighter was immeasurably better because I could see something!

I know that the price of energy has rocketed recently but with all the hours of hard work and effort put in to bring a production to the stage surely it’s worth putting a few extra coins in the meter to light the stage such that the audience can see and appreciate the piece that has been created? 

• Like 7

I went to SFB when they visited in 2019 and saw all the 

programmes- I don’t remember it being poorly sold in our section and the ones we could see (ie everything except the back rows of the stalls) but then we did attend the weekend shows or first night, which probably sell much better than weeknights that are not first nights. 

It does feel a bit like there’s too much going on at present and Scottish Ballet could well end up having to “share” its usual supporters with other dance companies, opera, musical theatre and classical music.

Oh dear- I hope they turn up the lighting at subsequent performances or it will send me to sleep! ( Sadler’s Wells seems to attract a lot of darkly lit - there’s an oxymoron! - productions.) The lighting was designed by David Finn, who also designed the lighting for Swan Lake, Giselle and Symphonic Dances, which all looked adequately bright. 

14 hours ago, PeterS said:

To see another production blighted by dressing dancers in black from head to toe including boots and shoes and placing them against an underlit black or nearly black background so that much of the choreography is lost makes me want to scream. Act 1 & the second half of Act 2 suffered from this. The first half of Act 2 when the lights were brighter was immeasurably better because I could see something!

Could I ask which area you were sitting in? Though I suppose that wouldn't make a difference in this situation!

47 minutes ago, art_enthusiast said:

Could I ask which area you were sitting in? Though I suppose that wouldn't make a difference in this situation!

centre stalls row J so watching it ‘head on’ with dancers’ feet at eye level.
my only thought was that perhaps if seen from above there would be more illumination from reflected light off the stage onto the dancers. 

2 hours ago, PeterS said:

centre stalls row J so watching it ‘head on’ with dancers’ feet at eye level.
my only thought was that perhaps if seen from above there would be more illumination from reflected light off the stage onto the dancers. 

Good point. Could I ask, were you able to reach Sadler's Wells easily? I haven't been for a while, so I'm not sure if there's still issues with Angel station.

1 hour ago, art_enthusiast said:

Good point. Could I ask, were you able to reach Sadler's Wells easily? I haven't been for a while, so I'm not sure if there's still issues with Angel station.

I get an overground into Waterloo and then the 341 bus to outside Sadlers Wells. In my experience there are plentiful routes to Sadlers Wells even when Angel station has been closed. TfL website will have updates on a daily basis. 
I understand that tubes are threatening to strike on 21 June. 

Superb: stunning, chilling and an absolute must-see.  Do not miss (although, that said, I did wonder if the shrieking and sudden loud noises and so on might be distressing to some people).  Fully deserves all its plaudits (see the 2019 thread I linked to above).  I'd say it was by far the best thing I'd seen at Sadler's Wells in a long time, except that I did see ENB's Forsythe evening there only a couple of months ago :)

I'm not sure whether viewing from above makes it any easier to see the dancers: their legs, perhaps, but their faces could have been better lit - I struggled to work out who was who sometimes, especially if there was any change in appearance.  It would have been useful, though, to have had a complete cast list, rather than just the three main characters: it would have told us who the people were, and hopefully their relationship to each other if applicable.

• Like 8

In the event of tube strike issues, perhaps consider the new Elizabeth Line into Farringdon (and also Thameslink, which goes North/South) - a modest walk or bus journey from there.

Looking forward to this on Saturday.

p.s. it's a regular train, not another tube line.

• Thanks 1

On 16/06/2022 at 00:02, alison said:

Superb: stunning, chilling and an absolute must-see.  Do not miss (although, that said, I did wonder if the shrieking and sudden loud noises and so on might be distressing to some people).  Fully deserves all its plaudits (see the 2019 thread I linked to above).  I'd say it was by far the best thing I'd seen at Sadler's Wells in a long time, except that I did see ENB's Forsythe evening there only a couple of months ago :)...

Agree absolutely that this is a must-see.  Incidentally I sat in the stalls side gallery (highly recommended) and had no difficulty in seeing who was who and what was what.  I thought the set design and lighting were atmospheric and added to, rather than detracted from, the overall impression.  

• Like 4

16 hours ago, AnneMarriott said:

Incidentally I sat in the stalls side gallery (highly recommended) and had no difficulty in seeing who was who and what was what.  I thought the set design and lighting were atmospheric and added to, rather than detracted from, the overall impression.  

Agreed - I had a very clear view from the front row of the stalls. Fabulous, evocative choreography and very impressive partnering between Sophie Martin and Nicholas Shoesmith. The music was a perfect accompaniment to the dancing throughout.

Surprised by the sudden screaming but it definitely added a lot to the atmosphere! Constance Devernay was also superb. I would like the names of the rest of the cast (sadly not included in the cast sheet) as they did an amazing job.

• Like 3

I don't normally like 'modern' ballets but I just loved loved loved this production.  I left thinking 'I wish I could see it again'.

Everything was just right as far as I was concerned.  The music by the appropriately-named Peter Salem was incredibly atmospheric, at times hauntingly beautiful and at other times terrifying.  (I found the cello particularly plangent and sonorous, soaring out at appropriate moments.)  The lighting was an important and very clever part of the mood, and used to great dramatic effect. I loved the ominously looming shadows that appeared now and then, especially in the spooky woodland scene. The costumes were great - period-appropriate yet easy to move in.  And talking of movement, all the dancers moved beautifully, especially the always-super Devernay and totally convincing Shoesmith, and the fleet-footed Rishan Benjamin.  The scenery was very clever too - simple but effective.  Altogether an immersive, coherent and memorable production.

But my greatest accolade goes to the choreographer, Helen Pickett, whose work was strikingly original yet never gimmicky; there were some tender pas de deux and I loved the way the group of girls bourréed together to give the effect of being terrified.  Unusually, there were some little whoops and cries from the young girls playing in the woods - that was a surprise, but a charming one. And most importantly, the story was told clearly, with great pacing.  There were no longueurs.  It all moved smoothly and ominously towards its stunning conclusion.

The only negative for me was the lack of my favourite SB dancer, Christopher Harrison, but he deserves to retire after many years of beautiful service to the company and has some worthy successors.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for these reviews of a production I had tickets for but family bereavement means unable to attend (SW kindly credited for them) The reviews clearly show I was right to want to go see this…. Sadly there is not a film version available at all 😢

I hope many more enjoy this tomorrow 

• Like 1

Art_enthusiast it looks like you made it to Sadlers Wells in the end!!  Did you have any problems with the Angel? There are no current reported problems and was certainly open as usual last Tuesday and Wednesday when I passed by it. 
I think the closure you are reporting must have been an unusual one off! 
It’s also easy to get to Sadlers from Kings Cross and either bus it or walk up the Pentonville Rd to the Angel. 
If there were any tube strikes the Elizabeth Line would be equally effected. But it’s also not that far to walk from Farringdon. 
Next Tuesday (21st)and in fact whole of next week is not looking good as it’s a rail and tube strike day on 21st and rail strikes on 23rd and 25th with no guarantee that tube strikers may not join on the other two days as well as it stands at the moment. 

• Like 1

I went to see Scottish Ballet's The Crucible last night. I am so glad that I did as it is a really striking production with a clear, thought provoking narrative.

The  music was excellent- no melodies but very dark and atmospheric.

The dancing I though was superb although I thought there was a bit to much walking for a ballet! The pas de deux were full of emotion and very well danced.

The revelation of the evening for me was Jerome Anthony Barnes as the Chief Witchfinder. At least I think it was him as there was no cast list in the programme. He     projects  a really strong stage  presence and, with his long, lean physique, strikes  a beautiful line. He is a principal at 23: Scottish Ballet may struggle to hang on to him.

Thank you for coming Scottish Ballet and thank you Sadlers Wells for reminding me you are still there after the pandemic. Will be along shortly to catch Don Quixote!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Finnbarr said:

The revelation of the evening for me was Jerome Anthony Barnes as the Chief Witchfinder. 

Indeed, I totally agree and was frustrated about the lack of information regarding other dancers. He was superb, and clearly has a great career ahead of him.

I assume it was Rishan Benjamin as Tituba? I'm not sure as I'm not too familiar with the company, but whoever danced this role was excellent.

• Like 2

Just a few words on this which I saw at the matinee yesterday. 

I completely agree with the praise that's been heaped on it. 

The staging is fantastic; simple, dark and evocative. The costumes perfectly capture the period. The choreography is brilliant; in particular the pdd and the dramatic dancing for the young girls. The music worked superbly.  Huge commitment from the all round excellent cast. 

Such a pity to see that it was poorly attended. I hope that doesn't mean they'll never bring it back to London although I'd travel to see it again, it's that good. 

Edited by annamk
  • Like 6

I  too saw it yesterday, and totally agree with all the positive comments above. It was such a pleasure to see a clear, clean narrative without any distracting or unnecessary gimmicks, and with no need for a lengthy synopsis. It stood alone, and was totally engaging from start to finish. The music was exactly right, and the staging spot on. The dancing was excellent, and captured the mood of the story perfectly. 

I don't understand why it wasn't better attended - even the good reviews didn't seem to draw people in.  

Like Anna, I would travel to see it again any time!

Edited by J_New
  • Like 4