Sarasota Ballet 2022-2023 Season

Yes I felt very envious of those living near Florida when I saw the announcement. The David Bintley ballet sounds intriguing and all that Ashton. Puts the RB season rather in the shade (for me anyway). If it was Europe rather than the US I would definitely go to several programmes. Kobborg's La Sylphide as well. Some Companies have all the luck!

Edited by jmhopton
  • Like 5

Announcing The Sarasota Ballet's 2022 - 2023 Season!
View this email in your browser
29f08aac-f52a-4e8c-8ca4-dbc42454f7f8.jpg
5a941c32-65e1-0990-6f3c-3a4210ebcd5f.jpg

Announcing The Sarasota Ballet's
2022 - 2023 Season!

We are excited to announce today the Company’s 2022 – 2023 Season. Over the seven programs, The Sarasota Ballet will perform 15 works by some of the most celebrated and prestigious choreographers and composers of the ballet world. Of particular note are the six World Premieres featured in the Season, which include the much-anticipated The Spider’s Feast by Sir David Bintley and a new ballet by Jessica Lang—which will premiere as a part of The Sarasota Ballet’s August residency at the Joyce Theater in New York. Another Season highlight comes in the form of the full-length Company Premiere of Johan Kobborg’s production of August Bournonville’s La Sylphide. One of the oldest surviving ballets and one of Bournonville’s most celebrated works, it provides a poignant contrast to the Season’s World Premieres. The Season concludes with a program dedicated the father of American ballet, George Balanchine, paying tribute to the great choreographer in commemoration of the 40th anniversary of his passing.
220ca506-2e45-1485-9a30-2ea1de6671b5.jpg
“New works are a major element of the Season, not just from the standpoint of the number of world premieres, but also in the number of new ballets being introduced into our repertoire,” says Iain Webb, Director of The Sarasota Ballet. “Almost two-thirds of the ballets will never have been performed by The Sarasota Ballet before, which is particularly exciting for both our dancers and audiences! Within these premieres you have the perfect counterbalance of exciting world premieres with breathtaking works from ballet history. While one program features up and coming choreographers make new strides, the next sees extraordinary ballets like Sir Kenneth MacMillan’s Danses Concertantes impact audiences and dancers anew.”

New Full Season Subscriptions to our 2022 – 2023 Season will be available for purchase on May 2nd. Returning Four Ballet Subscriptions (i.e., patrons who held 2021 – 2022 Four Ballet Subscriptions) will be available June 13th. New Four Ballet Subscriptions will go on sale June 20th. Finally, Single Tickets for the 2022 — 2023 Season will be available starting August 8th.

All subscriptions and tickets may be purchased on our website or through our Box Office at 941.359.0099.

c6206518-b3bc-e070-ea9e-27971fd0dd21.jpg

Program 1 –
21 - 23 October 2022
| FSU Center for the Performing Arts |

Ricardo Graziano's
WORLD PREMIERE
Asia Bui's
WORLD PREMIERE
Richard House's
WORLD PREMIERE

Program 2 –
18 - 19 November 2022
| Sarasota Opera House |

Sir Frederick Ashton's
RHAPSODY
Sir Frederick Ashton's
DANTE SONATA (Company Premiere)
Sir Kenneth MacMillan's
DANSES CONCERTANTES (Company Premiere)

Accompanied by Live Music

271d2ecb-179e-a971-ceaf-643621a1c327.jpg

Program 3 –
16 - 17 December 2022
| Sarasota Opera House |

Sir Frederick Ashton's
LES PATINEURS
Sir David Bintley's
THE SPIDER'S FEAST (World Premiere)

Program 4 –
27- 30 January 2023

Arcadian Broad's
WORLD PREMIERE
Jessica Lang's
UNTITLED BALLET (Sarasota Premiere)
Sir Frederick Ashton's
FAÇADE

225c8e28-b9e7-f980-89a6-52f9b8077394.jpg
Program 5 – Dance Theatre of Harlem

24 - 27 February 2023

The Sarasota Ballet Presents
DANCE THEATRE OF HARLEM

Program 6 – Kobborg's La Sylphide

24 - 25 March 2023
| Van Wezel Performing Arts Hall |

LA SYLPHIDE (Company Premiere)
Choreography by Johan Kobborg after August Bournonville
Music by Herman Severin Løvenskiold

c509f60d-9142-f21e-64fb-4a7dcffeb03d.jpg
Program 7 – A Tribute to Balanchine

28 - 29 April 2023
| Sarasota Opera House |

George Balanchine's
THE FOUR TEMPERAMENTS
George Balanchine's
DIVERTIMENTO NO. 15
George Balanchine's
WESTERN SYMPHONY

Photography credit - Matthew Holler

Les Patineurs and Dante Sonata! Those Sarasotans are lucky. There's a nice interview with David Bintley about the performances of Dante Sonata and Spider's Feast, which happened before the April 2020 performances were cancelled:

http://www.scenesarasota.com/magazine/sir-david-bintley-ballets-freelance-knight/

My biggest takeaway from the talk Ian Webb and Margaret Barbieri did with the London Ballet Circle was that you could tell they truly cared about the works of Ashton and MacMillan. It's inspiring to see people talk so passionately about those works, and I'm glad it shows in their programming. I do hope they'll tour to the UK, and bring these works with them. 

• Like 7

Sarasota Ballet at the ROH: a People’s Command Performance!  
In addition to some of the upcoming season’s works, they could add the recent revival of Apparitions - the highlight of my last trip to Sarasota, about three years ago.

• Like 4

I wonder if the ownership of the MacMillan/Ashton rights - and the dedication to the RB - might be a block against Sarasota playing in London.  I think it would be wonderful if they could come to, say, Liverpool, Leeds or Manchester ... or even Edinburgh or Glasgow.  I would happily travel to see them there.  

• Like 3

I see the Bintley work, The Spider's Feast, is described as a world premiere. I'm a bit puzzled by that.  I recall Bintley made a piece for the Royal Ballet School, many years ago, which was called The Spider's Feast (Le festin de L'araignee). It was 1997. 

Is this the same or is it a total rework using the same music ?  How is it a world premiere ? 

1 hour ago, Lynette H said:

I see the Bintley work, The Spider's Feast, is described as a world premiere. I'm a bit puzzled by that.  I recall Bintley made a piece for the Royal Ballet School, many years ago, which was called The Spider's Feast (Le festin de L'araignee). It was 1997. 

Is this the same or is it a total rework using the same music ?  How is it a world premiere ? 

Hello!

Just to pop my head in (Marketing Director for The Sarasota Ballet), the ballet was originally created on The Royal Ballet School for the school's Golden Jubilee Celebrations in 1997. He's mostly creating the ballet anew on our Company, so the choreography will most likely be entirely different - although inspired by what he originally created (which is why we're referring to it as a World Premiere). It's not quite the right 'title,' but it's a lot easier to describe to people than what I just wrote!

Hope that clears things up! Also, just wanted to say how happy I am to see everyone's excitement for our new season!

• Like 16

1 hour ago, Ettore said:

Hello!

Hope that clears things up! Also, just wanted to say how happy I am to see everyone's excitement for our new season!

I just wish your season included a trip to the UK!

Thanks for the clarification.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Pas de Quatre said:

Ettore - I am sure it would be difficult regarding copyright, but these are such interesting programmes, any chance of some streaming?

Unfortunately the streaming of performances ends up being more complicated that just copyrights and permissions (which are incredibly complicated on their own). It's also the mechanics and theater time to be able to film and record, as the set ups (or at least with the resources we have at our disposal) require an almost completely different technical set up than that of in-person performances. This would then almost double the amount of time we would need to be in the theater and we're just not able to increase our theater access time.

We would of course love to be able to do so, and LOVE to be able to perform in the UK, but that would require an invite (so if anyone has connections with the Sadler's Wells, start pestering!).

I would say that Sarasota does make a rather beautiful holiday destination, and there are several other quite remarkable arts organizations here in town, including the Sarasota Orchestra who just brought in Bramwell Tovey as their Music Director. Maybe we could help organize a BalletCo tour to Sarasota!?

• Like 11

On 19/04/2022 at 18:58, Ettore said:

Unfortunately the streaming of performances ends up being more complicated that just copyrights and permissions (which are incredibly complicated on their own). It's also the mechanics and theater time to be able to film and record, as the set ups (or at least with the resources we have at our disposal) require an almost completely different technical set up than that of in-person performances. This would then almost double the amount of time we would need to be in the theater and we're just not able to increase our theater access time.

We would of course love to be able to do so, and LOVE to be able to perform in the UK, but that would require an invite (so if anyone has connections with the Sadler's Wells, start pestering!).

I would say that Sarasota does make a rather beautiful holiday destination, and there are several other quite remarkable arts organizations here in town, including the Sarasota Orchestra who just brought in Bramwell Tovey as their Music Director. Maybe we could help organize a BalletCo tour to Sarasota!?

I WILL get there one day! As well as seeing these Ashton classics - I would be totally starstruck if I happened to spot Margaret Barbieri 🤩

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

"Dear Sarasota Ballet Family,

We are announcing changes to the Company’s 2022-2023 Season. Program 1 will now include a World Premiere by Choreographer Gemma Bond. Conversely, due to a scheduling conflict, Sir David Bintley’s The Spider’s Feast will, regrettably, be postponed to a future season. We are, however, delighted to announce the Company Premiere of Jerome Robbins’ In the Night and the return of Fancy Free in its stead. The Sarasota Ballet Director Iain Webb says, “We are looking forward to presenting exceptional programs for our patrons. We are disappointed that we will not be able to move forward with The Spider’s Feast this season but know that in doing so we are ensuring that when we do perform it, we are doing Sir David Bintley’s choreographic vision justice”.

Program 1 will now feature a new ballet by Gemma Bond, replacing Asia Bui's previously scheduled performance. Bond, an internationally acclaimed Dancer and Choreographer, has held leading roles with The Royal Ballet in works such as August Bourneville’s La Sylphide and Kenneth Macmillan’s Anastasia among others before joining American Ballet Theatre in 2008. Since 2010, Bond has created three ballets for ABT’s Choreographic Institute, as well as works for ABT Studio Company, Atlanta Ballet, Ballet Sun Valley, Intermezzo Ballet Company, New York Theater Ballet, and the Hartt School.  

Joining the much-loved Ashton ballet, Les Patineurs, we are presenting the Company premiere of Jerome Robbins’ In the Night and the return of Fancy Free. Centered around a starry evening as a Chopin nocturne plays, couples enter, dance, and slowly leave encompassing a range of relationships. In the Night introduces audiences to three couples in different phases of love. A young love, full of possibility and hope is proceeded by a mature and enduring love only to be followed by a tempestuous depiction of a love wrought with friction in a back-and-forth power play. Reflecting a more sophisticated milieu, Robbins, who was famously reticent for explaining his ballets, expressed that “it’s about relationships,” with In the Night being an exceptional example of the nuances of intensity within those relationships presented.

Making an exciting return to the repertoire is Robbins’ Fancy Free, which received its Sarasota Premiere in 2017. Originally inspired by a 1934 Paul Cadmus painting The Fleet’s In, Robbins’ more lighthearted approach introduces a trio of boisterous sailors on leave in Manhattan as they drink and compete for the attention of two girls. In a tale of flirtation, bragging, and bars, this performance juxtaposes the jovial environment of the sailors’ rivalry and revelry against the severity of a world at war.

Full Season Subscriptions to our 2022-2023 Season are now available with Four Ballet Subscriptions available on June 20th and single tickets available August 8th."

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...