Xander Parish is leaving Russia "at least until peace comes."

Xander Parish

"Dear friends & [Instagram] followers, tonight I was supposed to be performing Giselle at the Mariinsky Theatre but instead, due to the awful crisis I have taken the difficult decision to leave Russia, at least until peace comes. My heart goes out to the people of Ukraine, near and far, including @kate_chebykina pictured with me here in @jivoy_dance’s “I’m not Scared”. I am so grateful to the Mariinsky Theatre who, thanks to Yuri Fateev, took me in 12 years ago and gave me a career in classical ballet I could only have dreamed about. I am grateful to the wonderful ordinary Russian people, the majority of whom have treated me with such kindness. I pray that peace will come and the wounds will be healed by God’s grace. Thank you to all of you who have been sending me messages over the past few days and sorry for not having had the time to reply 🙏🏻"

https://www.instagram.com/p/Caxj21HOqGK/

(thanks to Canbelto at Ballet Alert! for finding this)

Edited by Buddy
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 3

• Buddy changed the title to Xander Parish is leaving Russia "at least until peace comes."

I was wondering what he would do - I checked his instagram last night to see if there was an update. Completely understandable for him to leave, even if he is a dual citizen now. 

On a wider point, it will be interesting to see what the dancers leaving the Mariinsky and Bolshoi do with themselves. I cannot imagine peace will come quickly, even if Russian forces overwhelm the Ukrainian forces, it then becomes a Russian occupation potentially with a Ukrainian insurgency supported by ongoing sanctions. 

Of all the dancers who have left Russian companies in recent days, Xander’s position  must have been one of the hardest and his dilemma unimaginable. And yet all those of us who have had the privilege of ‘knowing’ him somehow felt that he would take the step he now has.

One’s heart goes out to him.

• Like 14

35 minutes ago, Sharon said:

A difficult time for him indeed. 

Perhaps now though the Royal Ballet could extend the hand of friendship and invite him to take class or even guest. 

If they haven't done so already...? 🙏🏽🤞🏽

I was rather assuming they would have - class, at least.  

• Like 4

I can’t imagine any of the dancers in either Company mentioned would mind any of the dancers having to come back to UK at the moment from Russia would mind them taking class at least. 
Although of course I don’t know anything about the more  ‘business’ side of things. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Blossom said:

Or you would think this is a great opportunity for ENB.

With whom Xander guested in Giselle a few years ago..........

[Unlike ENB and BRB, the RB now has so many Principal dancers (including two wonderful men in the 'queue') that each one of them already has limited performance opportunitiies.]

Edited by capybara
  • Like 8

I saw Xander’s announcement on his social media pages and I think he’s made the right decision. Even if he does now have dual Russian and  British citizenship and is a Mariinsky principal, it could be problematic being also a British citizen. His family are based in Britain (if I recall correctly), his sister Demelza having retired from dancing with the Royal Ballet recently. Should things get much worse in Russia, it would be awful if he couldn’t get out and see his family again. And of course, coupled with any personal or other stance he wished to take or assert about the war. 

I thought of ENB (with whom he guested as Albrecht) as a possibility should he decide to stay to work here (seeing as Jeffrey Cirio and Isaac Hernandez are leaving). The other idea I had was that with Federico Bonelli (whom Xander knows well from their Verdensballetten  summer performances in Denmark) being the new director at Northern Ballet, a guest principal stint with them would be lovely, being near his family and his first ballet school- it would be so inspiring for ballet students in the north to see him perform. He could in fact dance in other (peaceful) countries too, of course. Any company would be lucky to have him....he’s developed into an excellent danseur and partner in his 12 years at the Mariinsky working with Fateyev and other coaches. 

Edited by Emeralds
  • Like 7

5 minutes ago, LinMM said:

Janet McNulty …ENB are going to Liverpool!! It’s with Swan Lake not Raymonda though but a return at least. 
Also Bristol get Raymonda as well as Southampton in the Autumn. 

Go on, LinMM.. I think a new thread is due. See if you can work “Ek” or “Blues” into the title.  😁

• Like 1

I’ve got the ENB email in my inbox now but don’t know how to transfer that info over into a new thread ENB 2022-23 Season Announced. I know …old person🙄 

Janet McNulty is excellent at doing this however 😊 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, LinMM said:

I’ve got the ENB email in my inbox now but don’t know how to transfer that info over into a new thread ENB 2022-23 Season Announced. I know …old person🙄 

Janet McNulty is excellent at doing this however 😊 

Surely just a copy and paste?

Keen to get the conversation going on this esp for those outside of London but defer to admins to post the info!

• Like 1

The interview with Xander in The Times (see links) states that he has been offered the opportunity to take class with The Royal Ballet but has been advised that there are no jobs.

His plan is to guest for a while.

His life and that of his Russian wife have been completely turned upside down - along with the millions of displaced Ukrainians. Heartbreaking.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

I had no idea that Xander had got married- he sure kept THAT quiet. 😊 Belated congratulations to him and Anastasia, although my sympathies to them that they’ve had to leave their home in the first year of married life and head out on the road. I see they’re in Estonia for the time being until Anastasia can get a visa for Britain (the Home Office has been disgraceful during this war at delaying and obstructing visas for spouses and family members of British citizens, forcing them to stay outside Britain instead of going home to family).

I hope some British company can get Xander (and Anastasia, a Mariinsky dancer) while they’re away from the Mariinsky as they’re both obviously very good dancers to be working at the Mariinsky. I thought the Royal Ballet might be full as they have already kept extra dancers from the Aud Jebsen programme because of Covid closures in 2020 and 2021. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Emeralds said:

I had no idea that Xander had got married- he sure kept THAT quiet. 😊

I didn't know any details but there was a picture of them on their wedding day on his IG story (presumably around the time they got married).

• Like 3

The article about Estonia etc today ….

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-10607655/British-dancer-Xander-Parish-quits-Russian-ballet-company-flees-Estonia.html

I do have a photo from their wedding back in September 2021, it was posted on Dance Europe’s IG story.  Sadly, I can’t post it here as I’ve reached my limit!

Here’s a short YouTube clip of Anastasia Demidova.   

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Jan McNulty said:

I didn't know any details but there was a picture of them on their wedding day on his IG story (presumably around the time they got married).

Thanks Jan! I usually use FB rather than IG so that’s probably why I didn’t see it!  Thanks FionaE, for the other links! 

Edited by Emeralds

• 5 months later...

Xander Parish posted today a message about the passing away of his coach of ten years, Igor Yurievich Petrov. It’s a very sympathetic one.

“Igor Yurievich Petrov, my coach for 10 years in the Mariinsky Ballet, sadly passed away today. I cannot begin to describe what an amazing and wonderful person he was, full of positivity and encouragement to those of us who were fortunate enough to work with him. Igor Yurievich, thank you for everything you did for me, for always being there in the wings and always.”

https://www.facebook.com/xanderparish/posts/pfbid0o4iZvVVKUrzdrtkSmUuqVp42HYt28LqaXXUbU4NrHqQWZa1mv5eRn3YzTFuJt8x8l

(thanks to Sophia at Dansomanie)

Here's his Instagram site as well for all those who want to keep up with him and wish him the best, such as myself.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cf8v38vJ8ZK/

Edited by Buddy
  • Like 3