Ballet Icons Gala 2022 (13th March) - now cancelled

Guest oncnp

I received an email from Ensemble Productions saying tickets were on sale. I asked when the cast would be announced and they replied 

The dancer’s cast will be announced shortly.

54 minutes ago, oncnp said:

I received an email from Ensemble Productions saying tickets were on sale. I asked when the cast would be announced and they replied 

The dancer’s cast will be announced shortly.

Well, that told you! lol

Just wondering if that cast is different from the management's cast...

The Ballet Icons Gala last week in Dubai included these dancers.  As the theme there was also Ballet Russe, I’d expect some overlap with London.  I’d also expect Natalia Osipova to participate in London.  

BALLET ICONS GALA

DUBAI OPERA

ENSEMBLE PRODUCTIONS 
20-21 January 2022

- María Alexandrova & Vladislav Lantratov
- Sergio Bernal
- Yasmine Naghdi & Reece Clarke
- Iana Salenko & Kimin Kim
- Ekaterina Krysanova & Artem Ovcharenko

- Lucia Lacarra & Matthew Golding
- Oksana Skorik & Xander Parish
- Giuseppe Picone

Edited by FionaE
Typos
  • Like 2

The dancers’ cast for the Ballet Icons Gala 2022:

Maria Alexandrova (The Bolshoi Ballet), Timofej Andrijashenko (Teatro alla Scala), Sergio Bernal, António Casalinho (The Bavarian State Ballet), Jeffrey Cirio (English National Ballet), Reece Clarke (The Royal Ballet), Valentine Colasante (Paris Opera Ballet), Margarita Fernandes (The Bavarian State Ballet), Matthew Golding (formerly The Royal Ballet), Katja Khaniukova (English National Ballet), Maria Khoreva (Mariinsky Ballet), Kimin Kim (Mariinsky Ballet), Ekaterina Krysanova (The Bolshoi Ballet), Lucía Lacarra (The Bavarian State Ballet), Vladislav Lantratov (The Bolshoi Ballet), Nicoletta Manni (Teatro alla Scala), Paul Marque (Paris Opera Ballet), Vadim Muntagirov (The Royal Ballet), Marianela Núñez (The Royal Ballet), Natalia Osipova (The Royal Ballet), Artem Ovcharenko (The Bolshoi Ballet), Xander Parish (Mariinsky Ballet), Giuseppe Picone, Iana Salenko (Berlin State Ballet), Vladimir Shklyarov (Mariinsky Ballet), Daniil Simkin (American Ballet Theatre / Staatsballett Berlin), and Anna Tikhomirova (The Bolshoi Ballet).

New e-mail on cast - not sure any changes but easier to read....

Ballet Icons Gala 2022 is delighted to announce its cast to include:

Maria Alexandrova (The Bolshoi Ballet) 
Timofej Andrijashenko (Teatro alla Scala) 
Sergio Bernal (formerly Spanish National Ballet)
António Casalinho (The Bavarian State Ballet) 
Jeffrey Cirio (English National Ballet) 
Reece Clarke (The Royal Ballet) 
Valentine Colasante (Paris Opera Ballet) 
Margarita Fernandes (The Bavarian State Ballet) 
Matthew Golding (formerly The Royal Ballet) 
Katja Khaniukova (English National Ballet)
Maria Khoreva (Mariinsky Ballet) 
Kimin Kim (Mariinsky Ballet) 
Ekaterina Krysanova (The Bolshoi Ballet)  
Lucía Lacarra (Ballett Dortmund) 

Vladislav Lantratov (The Bolshoi Ballet)
Maia Makhateli (Dutch National Ballet)
Nicoletta Manni (Teatro alla Scala) 
Paul Marque (Paris Opera Ballet)
Vadim Muntagirov (The Royal Ballet) 
Marianela Núñez (The Royal Ballet) 
Natalia Osipova (The Royal Ballet) 
Artem Ovcharenko (The Bolshoi Ballet) 
Xander Parish (Mariinsky Ballet) 
Giuseppe Picone (Teatro di San Carlo)
Iana Salenko (Berlin State Ballet) 
Vladimir Shklyarov (Mariinsky Ballet) 
Daniil Simkin (American Ballet Theatre / Staatsballett Berlin)
Anna Tikhomirova (The Bolshoi Ballet)

This cast list looks amazing! I would love to see Maria Khoreva for the first time and Shklyarov as well as the Primas in that list again (Alexandrova, Krysanova, Osipova, Tikhomirova)!

I am unsure whether to get stall seats or grand circle. Any suggestions?

Is going to the stage door possible at the Coliseum after the Gala? I usually go for Stalls but never have Grand Circled before. Is the view better?

7 hours ago, sybarite2015@ said:

This cast list looks amazing! I would love to see Maria Khoreva for the first time and Shklyarov as well as the Primas in that list again (Alexandrova, Krysanova, Osipova, Tikhomirova)!

Is going to the stage door possible at the Coliseum after the Gala? I usually go for Stalls but never have Grand Circled before. Is the view better?

It is possible to wait at the Stage Door at the Coli. Recently, however, there has been a one way system with the proper Stage Door being entry only and another door being used as the exit. There is, however, plenty of space to stand outside.

The front of the Circle feels OK to me, but much of that area seems too far away from the stage for the money one pays.

15 hours ago, sybarite2015@ said:

Why no Zakharova/Lopatkina/Polunin/ --all retired now? 😔

Ulyana Lopatkina (48) retired formally in 2017.

Svetlana Zakharova (42) has not retired … she performed La Bayadere at La Scala only last week.

Sergei Polunin (32) has not retired … he prefers his own projects, see PoluninInk.com for performance dates. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, sybarite2015@ said:

Pretty good views from all seats at Coliseum in my opinion.  I’ve sat in both Dress Circle and Upper Circle recently.  The circles are closer to the stage than say at ROH.  

Stage door is possible, but bear in mind that there is a VIP dinner following on from the show and the dancers move on to that quite quickly. 

Edited by FionaE
Typos 🙈
  • Like 1

Is it possible to get VIP tickets to the Dinner? I know at similar galas in Geneva one can pay extra for special VIP tickets that include the dinner too.

10 hours ago, FionaE said:

but bear in mind that there is a VIP dinner following on from the show and the dancers move on to that quite quickly. 

8 hours ago, sybarite2015@ said:

But at a 1000 pounds I'll give the dinner a miss!!

It’s free to meet the dancers at the stage door 😉   Although as I said before, not all come out that way, and those that do, don’t stay long, as they’ve the dinner to get to. 

My American friends went to the dinner last year.  They loved it … sat on table with Julian MacKay and siblings.   Met and spoke to many of the other dancers there.  

Rationalising the VIP cost … I suppose one ticket covers your show ticket (best in stalls) plus 1 table of 8-10 people.   Or perhaps a half table of dancers plus some of their travel expenses.   It’s certainly a way for the gala to raise money for the show costs. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, FionaE said:

It’s free to meet the dancers at the stage door 😉   Although as I said before, not all come out that way, and those that do, don’t stay long, as they’ve the dinner to get to. 

My American friends went to the dinner last year.  They loved it … sat on table with Julian MacKay and siblings.   Met and spoke to many of the other dancers there.  

Rationalising the VIP cost … I suppose one ticket covers your show ticket (best in stalls) plus 1 table of 8-10 people.   Or perhaps a half table of dancers plus some of their travel expenses.   It’s certainly a way for the gala to raise money for the show costs. 

£1,000 is not for a table, it's for one seat (plus some extras).

One can, of course, get a good seat and a place at dinner for only £550...

2 minutes ago, bangorballetboy said:

£1,000 is not for a table, it's for one seat (plus some extras).

One can, of course, get a good seat and a place at dinner for only £550...

yes I can see I wasn’t clear.   The £1,000 covers the cost of dancers and guests meals at the dinner (or other costs) , whether or not they are sat with you.  

I belive some cast changes are inevitable: Anna Tikhomirova, for instance, is scheduled to dance in " La Bayadere" of Bolshoi theater on the 13th of March, 2 pm; Ekaterina Krysanova is scheduled to dance Nikiya in Bolshoi theater on the 12th of March, evening, but well, she can of course take an early flight and manage to arrive to Gala in time.

Inevitable.  I think the Bolshoi management do it on purpose.  They could easily switch casts and dates to accommodate this.  

Krysanova & Ovcharenko took the early morning flight last time they appeared, having performed the night before … Sleeping Beauty I think.  

On 09/02/2022 at 15:00, oncnp said:

New e-mail on cast - not sure any changes but easier to read....

Ballet Icons Gala 2022 is delighted to announce its cast to include:

Maria Alexandrova (The Bolshoi Ballet) 
Timofej Andrijashenko (Teatro alla Scala) 
Sergio Bernal (formerly Spanish National Ballet)
António Casalinho (The Bavarian State Ballet) 
Jeffrey Cirio (English National Ballet) 
Reece Clarke (The Royal Ballet) 
Valentine Colasante (Paris Opera Ballet) 
Margarita Fernandes (The Bavarian State Ballet) 
Matthew Golding (formerly The Royal Ballet) 
Katja Khaniukova (English National Ballet)
Maria Khoreva (Mariinsky Ballet) 
Kimin Kim (Mariinsky Ballet) 
Ekaterina Krysanova (The Bolshoi Ballet)  
Lucía Lacarra (Ballett Dortmund) 

Vladislav Lantratov (The Bolshoi Ballet)
Maia Makhateli (Dutch National Ballet)
Nicoletta Manni (Teatro alla Scala) 
Paul Marque (Paris Opera Ballet)
Vadim Muntagirov (The Royal Ballet) 
Marianela Núñez (The Royal Ballet) 
Natalia Osipova (The Royal Ballet) 
Artem Ovcharenko (The Bolshoi Ballet) 
Xander Parish (Mariinsky Ballet) 
Giuseppe Picone (Teatro di San Carlo)
Iana Salenko (Berlin State Ballet) 
Vladimir Shklyarov (Mariinsky Ballet) 
Daniil Simkin (American Ballet Theatre / Staatsballett Berlin)
Anna Tikhomirova (The Bolshoi Ballet)

A wonderful pool of dancers to draw from, I wonder who will actually make it on stage on the night ….?

Might sanctions affect the Gala? 

Edited by prs59

15 hours ago, prs59 said:

A wonderful pool of dancers to draw from, I wonder who will actually make it on stage on the night ….?

Might sanctions affect the Gala? 

Trying to keep this as apolitical and unspeculative as possible (I don't come here for that kind of thing), but a couple of things are already in play:

1. Aeroflot is/is about to be banned from UK airspace, which could make things logistically difficult
  2. In the classical music and opera world there have been cancellations involving artists closely associated with Putin - I don't know if this would apply to any of the dancers listed.

Even in normal times I don't think anyone with experience of these galas expects to see the line-up as listed, or counts on any particular dancer or dancers being there - so any speculation is just as pointless as usual IMO.

Edited to add: I believe that Russia has now banned UK planes from its airspace, so any flights from Russia would presumably need to be indirect.

Edited by Lizbie1
  • Thanks 1

Yes this has just been confirmed so would have to fly in and out via an indirect route.

I was wondering whether this  gala should be postponed but that supposes that things will get better however it could all get worse. 
So a difficult one but if some dancers choose not to come because of the circumstances it’s pretty understandable. 

1 hour ago, LinMM said:

Yes this has just been confirmed so would have to fly in and out via an indirect route.

I was wondering whether this  gala should be postponed but that supposes that things will get better however it could all get worse. 
So a difficult one but if some dancers choose not to come because of the circumstances it’s pretty understandable. 

would they want to risk not getting back at all?