Vaguely dance-related TV programmes around Christmas and New Year

Channel 5 Tue 21 Dec 3:30pm-4:30pm (1 hour) A Nutcracker Christmas (2016) 

Jaded former ballerina Lily is forced to come to terms with the life - and love - she left behind when her niece Sadie, herself a ballet prodigy, is asked to take the starring role in The Philadelphia Ballet's production of Tchaikovsky's festive favourite The Nutcracker. However, the production is being directed by none other than Lily's old flame Mark. Festive romantic drama, starring Amy Acker, Sascha Radetsky and Sophia Lucia

Category: Film

SkyArts Thu 23 Dec 11:45pm-1:05am (1 hour 20 minutes) Rumpelstilzchen.

A miller boasts to the king that his daughter can spin straw into gold, and the monarch tells her life is forfeit on the third time she fails. She despairs until a strange man appears, offering to spin straw into gold in exchange for a gift. A production of the fairy tale by dance company Ballet Boyz, with Jane Horrocks in the title role, alongside Tanya Reynolds and John Marquez

Talking Pictures TV  (Freeview:81 Sky:328 Virgin:445 BT:81Freesat: 306) Christmas Eve 12:05pm-1:55pm (1 hour 50 minutes) The Tales of Beatrix Potter (1971) 

Fantastical story of how the much-loved children's author came up with the idea for the series of classic children's books, drawing on her lonely childhood during which she imagined her famous creations were her only friends. Magical drama, performed by members of the Royal Ballet Company, and choreographed by Frederick Ashton

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just going through the Christmas double issue Radio Times. Haven't seen any ballet so far but on Boxing Day

BBC2 12.40 pm there is Singin' in the Rain.

BBC2 6.40 pm Anything Goes. Fabulous production filmed at the Barbican and shown at the cinema recently. Definitely my Christmas highlight.

BBC4 7.30 pm Repeat of the Dancing the Nutcracker: inside the Royal Ballet documentary shown several years ago, charting the rise of Francesca Hayward from watching the Nutcracker on video to dancing the Sugar Plum Fairy. This is followed at 9pm not by a performance of the Nutcracker but the Royal Opera La Boheme from 2020.

BBC4 Tuesday 28 Dec 9pm. Original West Side Story film.

SkyArts Tuesday 28th Dec 9.30pm.

A Play In A Day. I'm really scraping the barrel here but Sergei Polunin is in this programme but it's not clear what he's actually doing.

SkyArts Thursday 30th Dec 6.45am Matthew Bournes Swan Lake. The first Christmas ballet but hardly a new one.

SkyArts Friday 31st Dec 7.30am Matthew Bournes Romeo and Juliet. 

Despite having eventually found some ballet I'm still underwhelmed by the offerings. Anything Goes will still be my highlight but I miss my Royal Ballet fix despite all the dvds I have. Why does the BBC show so little ballet these days? It's hardly worth paying your licence fee. I'm hoping someone will come up with some treasures I've missed otherwise it will be out with the dvds.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, jmhopton said:

Just going through the Christmas double issue Radio Times. Haven't seen any ballet so far but on Boxing Day

BBC2 6.40 pm Anything Goes. Fabulous production filmed at the Barbican and shown at the cinema recently. Definitely my Christmas highlight.

BBC4 7.30 pm Repeat of the Dancing the Nutcracker: inside the Royal Ballet documentary shown several years ago, charting the rise of Francesca Hayward from watching the Nutcracker on video to dancing the Sugar Plum Fairy. This is followed at 9pm not by a performance of the Nutcracker but the Royal Opera La Boheme from 2020.

A Play In A Day. I'm really scraping the barrel here but Sergei Polunin is in this programme but it's not clear what he's actually doing.

SkyArts Thursday 30th Dec 6.45am Matthew Bournes Swan Lake. The first Christmas ballet but hardly a new one.

Despite having eventually found some ballet I'm still underwhelmed by the offerings. Anything Goes will still be my highlight but I miss my Royal Ballet fix despite all the dvds I have. Why does the BBC show so little ballet these days? It's hardly worth paying your licence fee. I'm hoping someone will come up with some treasures I've missed otherwise it will be out with the dvds.

thank you for your seasonal detective work. 🙏🏻🌲

it appears to me that SkyArts assumes that ballet lovers are also incurable insomniacs with such early and late timings. such a shame as I still enjoy my 8 hours sleep 🛌 

Edited by prs59
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, jmhopton said:

BBC4 7.30 pm Repeat of the Dancing the Nutcracker: inside the Royal Ballet documentary shown several years ago, charting the rise of Francesca Hayward from watching the Nutcracker on video to dancing the Sugar Plum Fairy.

And, if I recall correctly, lots of input from Alex Campbell (for Jan McNulty, especially).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/12/2021 at 01:39, jmhopton said:

It is fortunate that we purchased our DVD collections, otherwise there is nothing worth watching.

• Like 3

On 12/12/2021 at 01:39, jmhopton said:

I know (no surprise!)

It’s a new series on SkyArts.  The premise is to create a 15 minute ‘play’ with 24 hours notice.   Sergei created and danced in the ‘dance’ play, which is one of three plays created and recorded on 31st October.  

The dancers and actors involved in the plays went through extensive rounds of auditions and did not know that the final ‘round of auditions’ was the actual creation day.  Should make for interesting viewing of the creative process!

See IG post below for the two young dancers who won through to participate

https://www.instagram.com/p/CVu_w3eMec7/?utm_medium=copy_link

I posted info about this programme earlier in this thread 😉

Edited by FionaE
Add link

On 12/12/2021 at 14:02, Scheherezade said:

And, if I recall correctly, lots of input from Alex Campbell (for Jan McNulty, especially).

I have always enjoyed Alex Campbell’s memorable comments in this documentary about how as a principal, you can’t drop your standards, and “You’ve got to embrace the glitter” (which is good advice for other things in life). 😄

• Like 1

I’ll watch the one on Tue 21 Dec on Ch 5 in it as it has Sasha “Center Stage” Radetsky, formerly of ABT & HNB, in it, and it might hopefully include footage of the ballet being performed, but I’ll give the others a miss.

I did notice that apart from Berlin, New Zealand and Australia, the whole world seems a bit Nutcracker obsessed right now, with every almost every company performing it, and every other radio or tv programme wanting to use Nutcracker music for their trailers!  (I don’t have a problem though, with it as I love Tchaikovsky’s score.) Maybe it’s because Nutcracker has a feel-good factor and tends to produce healthy box office receipts for ballet companies, both of which are much needed after 12-18 months of restrictions and lockdowns due to Covid.... 

Edited by Emeralds

Were you to leaf through the December Links for past years, you'd find that a Nut obsession is far from new.  In the USA, in 2010 I think, Alastair Macaulay famously went on trek around the nation for about 6 weeks, reviewing Nut productions from the minor local to the most grandiose for the New York Times.

• Like 2

It looks as though the emphasis is very much on music this Christmas, rather than ballet.

However, for those within range of London Live (Freeview 8 ) there are a couple of things on Christmas Day:

8.15 am: Nanny McPhee - children's ballet (as this is London only, I'm thinking it may be the London Children's Ballet or whatever its name is?)

10 am - Tales of Beatrix Potter - not sure whether this is the 1971 film or the 21st-century recording.

(There's also Snow White at 6.25 am, although I've no idea whether that's ballet or not, but I thought I'd mention it just in case)

Tales of Beatrix Potter is repeated at 6 am on Boxing Day.

NB: I haven't checked any of the "children's" channels, so it's conceivable some of the child-oriented ballet productions might be on there.

• Like 1

Avid readers of daily Links will have noticed this morning a parenthesis against the Observer review of Bourne's Nut! that  includes a mention of a BalletBoyz film, Rumpelstilzchen.  SkyArts are running it on Thursday at 2345-0105.  The video trailer in the link suggests (to me, at least) that the movement portrayed belongs rather more to the Ministry of Silly Walks than anything else - but someone may want to give it a chance.

3 minutes ago, Ian Macmillan said:

Avid readers of daily Links will have noticed this morning a parenthesis against the Observer review of Bourne's Nut! that  includes a mention of a BalletBoyz film, Rumpelstilzchen.  SkyArts are running it on Thursday at 2345-0105.  The video trailer in the link suggests (to me, at least) that the movement portrayed belongs rather more to the Ministry of Silly Walks than anything else - but someone may want to give it a chance.

Not the most ringing endorsement I've heard!

• Like 1

I'm still only onto the 27th - I never get time to read the hundred-odd pages before the listings these days.  And yes, I blanched at paying over £5.  And of course there's the New Year edition as well this year ...

• Like 1

BBC4 are repeating Anything Goes Sunday 2nd Jan 9pm. It's also on iplayer for a year.

Cbeebies are showing Northern Ballet's children's ballet, Puss in Boots 2.05 pm New years Eve

London Live (Freeview 8, Sky 117, Virgin 159) is showing London Children's Ballet The Prince and the Pauper on New Years day 6am.

BBC2. New years day concert Live from Vienna 10.15am-12.40. Includes some ballet.

SkyArts Billy Elliot the musical: 2nd Jan 1.35am

SkyArts Ashton triple inc The Dream and Marguerite and Armand. Sat 8th Jan 6am (incidentally, with this ballet 2 people have asked for SkyArts to show ballet at a later time).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sabine0308 said:

I watched online (it was on TV at 1.30 am!!👹) and hope it's not geoblocked. A wonderful production, props/stage by the legendary Jürgen Rose. The ever so elegant Friedemann Vogel is a "must see".

I can watch it on demand in Uk ✔️ 

• Like 1

If you missed the first episode of ‘A Play in a Day’ on Sky Arts which features the dance made in 24 hours, it can be found in full on YouTube, and on demand if you have a Sky subscription.  

Search for YouTuber “London Talent for Future”.  There are 2 videos there … one is the final dance.  The other is the whole programme.  

It’s worth watching the whole programme as the point of the show is the journey from nothing to something in 24 hours. The end piece is rather lovely ..  and enhanced by following the process of idea, creation and collaboration.  Enjoy.