Claudia Dean & Bullet Point Leotards - worth the money?

sillysally

Hi all,

I'm looking for some general advice on Claudia Dean & Bullet Pointe leotards. I see compared to Bloch, Ballet Rosa, Mirella & Capezio they seem to be fairly pricy.

Family members want to buy my DD a special leotard for Christmas but I'm really not sure if they're worth the extra cost.

After checking on website I see CD designs have beautiful fabric but I'm not sure if they're a little cutsey for 16 year olds. Does anyone have any experience?

BP looks like a very New York chic.   

My boring mum thoughts include are they washable, by which I mean machine wash durable without shrinking? Are they actually really that extra fit flattering?

Thanks for any comments.

sillysally 

DD is 16 and doesn't like all the 'cute' leotards! She likes Ballet Rosa, Bloch and Capezio.

DD has a bullet point skirt but I'm not sure it's any different to a similar one bought from etsy! 

I wash all leotards on cold/hand-wash/30° quick wash in the machine. 

Good luck! DD always used to put a leotards on her wish list ... very precise down to colour, style and size and I wouldn't dare deviate as it wouldn't be worn! But this year, it's just random shorts and gym tops! (but maybe that's because she has 5 zillion leotards!)

• Like 2

DD has one Bullet pointe leotard (plus s couple of the skirts).... it was pricey but perhaps her first very mature style leotard appropriate once over 16....washes fine (cold or 30 degree hand wash setting on machine) don’t tumble dry....not sure I’d have bought without her trying on in shop first though.....ordering birthday present  yumikos was a bit hit & miss - they come up small imho (and also legline tends to be lower than generally we’re used to...lovely to be able to customise of course so makes for special present! 

2 hours ago, Kanangra said:

For a special leotard I would look at Elevé, Yumiko, Wear Moi or Luckyleo. Grishko also have some beautiful ones in their Bolshoi Stars range. Or Ainsliewear, if you have it in the UK? 

Wear Moi are a favourite of mine and definitely low maintenance - I've never bothered separating mine out in the laundry; they've been abused with darks and at high heat in the washer and tumble dried and still look brand new. Their stretch fabric is incredible as well; a range of colours and - as a slim, long-torsoed dancer, they're one of the few brands which can actually fit me like a glove off the rack. Plus they are often on sale for £10-20!

Grishko's Bolshoi stars also amazingly designed and nicely stretchy, though as my only one is flocked, cannot comment on machine washability. 

I've also recently discovered Danse de Paris which have some lovely cuts and floral prints, but have no direct experience. 

Hi, I can only comment on bulletpointe leotards, my DD loves the pinch front camisole Leo’s, I think they are a really flattering shape, low ish back, high cut, but not too much, and my daughter says they really comfortable, she is 14 and fits an XS She favours these to the Degas now.

They are fine to wash in the machine, I haven’t seen much shrinkage at all, but as others have said usually a cold wash/30 degree only. Just to mention - they are not lined at the front, so not a hugely supportive leotard. I think Just Ballet stock them in a few colours, but If you wanted a different style/colour I have ordered direct from bulletpointe and have to say they arrive quickly and the cost and shipping is not too much different (always only ordered one though in case of handling charges) 

Another vote for Wear Moi - very reasonable, wash fine, and last a long time. Yumiko and Lucky Leo - think The Dancers Room stock Lucky Leo, all lovely brands, and lovely gifts as a little more expensive, but as others have said come up slightly smaller, so size up I’d say.

My DD has some custom leos and they are all from Luckyleo and Chameleon. Even 19 years old looks good in marshmallow and avocado leo 😄 
And they are good quality, but only allowed to be worn on "dress down" weekend classes. 
I have sold her small luckyleos and they hold the price. They are all custom made so unique to each dancer.

However, I would not buy novelty (nutcracket or other festive themes) leos. She has couple fun prints as she loves her younger side but the rest is custom lovely colour and fabric combination which shows off her mature side. Yo ucan choose the cut of the leo. Luckyleo have great customer service as we have ordered one which when arrived did not look that flattering and they have changed it without any issue or additional costs.

Also I never separate dancewear and goes into the wash with normal clothes. Both mentioned brands without an issue.

Edited by FlexyNexy

On 08/12/2021 at 00:05, Peanut68 said:

DD has one Bullet pointe leotard (plus s couple of the skirts).... it was pricey but perhaps her first very mature style leotard appropriate once over 16....washes fine (cold or 30 degree hand wash setting on machine) don’t tumble dry....not sure I’d have bought without her trying on in shop first though.....ordering birthday present  yumikos was a bit hit & miss - they come up small imho (and also legline tends to be lower than generally we’re used to...lovely to be able to customise of course so makes for special present! 

yes I'm beginning to see that "deviating" leads to disaster! thanks for sharing

On 08/12/2021 at 01:19, alison said:

Just pointing out another recent brand-specific leotard thread:

Thanks. Degas is one brand I'm not really that captivated by. Ballet Rosa & Wear-Moi  have been our staples.....I guess now at 16+ my DD has hit a point where she is looking for something that actually reflects personality not just lines, and actually I think she's looking for a style that represents at least some of her personality not what s expected of a vocational student.  Gift buying is never easy 😉

On 08/12/2021 at 07:21, BalletMumOfOne said:

Hi, I can only comment on bulletpointe leotards, my DD loves the pinch front camisole Leo’s, I think they are a really flattering shape, low ish back, high cut, but not too much, and my daughter says they really comfortable, she is 14 and fits an XS She favours these to the Degas now.

They are fine to wash in the machine, I haven’t seen much shrinkage at all, but as others have said usually a cold wash/30 degree only. Just to mention - they are not lined at the front, so not a hugely supportive leotard. I think Just Ballet stock them in a few colours, but If you wanted a different style/colour I have ordered direct from bulletpointe and have to say they arrive quickly and the cost and shipping is not too much different (always only ordered one though in case of handling charges) 

Another vote for Wear Moi - very reasonable, wash fine, and last a long time. Yumiko and Lucky Leo - think The Dancers Room stock Lucky Leo, all lovely brands, and lovely gifts as a little more expensive, but as others have said come up slightly smaller, so size up I’d say.

Good to hear about BUllet Ponite - I've taken the plunge and ordered so I'll update you when Santa delivers and she eventually wears it.

• Like 1

On 08/12/2021 at 10:45, FlexyNexy said:

My DD has some custom leos and they are all from Luckyleo and Chameleon. Even 19 years old looks good in marshmallow and avocado leo 😄 
And they are good quality, but only allowed to be worn on "dress down" weekend classes. 
I have sold her small luckyleos and they hold the price. They are all custom made so unique to each dancer.

However, I would not buy novelty (nutcracket or other festive themes) leos. She has couple fun prints as she loves her younger side but the rest is custom lovely colour and fabric combination which shows off her mature side. Yo ucan choose the cut of the leo. Luckyleo have great customer service as we have ordered one which when arrived did not look that flattering and they have changed it without any issue or additional costs.

Also I never separate dancewear and goes into the wash with normal clothes. Both mentioned brands without an issue.

I have a sneaky suspicion that she may look into these for her 17th! Good to hear your experiences, I'm always happier to buy from a brand that looks after its customers.

• Like 1

This might be a bit late, but since I almost exclusively dance in Claudia Dean leotards now hopefully I can help! 😅 I find Claudia Dean more comfortable than any other brand I've tried so now have maybe 10 of her leotards in different colours? From her very first collection to her recent Pastel collection. I am in Australia so Claudia Dean is only about $10AUD more expensive than a bloch leotard, but I can imagine with shipping it would come out a lot more for you.

Positives for Claudia Dean are the colours and the beautiful fabrics. The Giselle and Aurora styles are flattering on so many different body types and provide good coverage. A few of us in my RAD exam classes wear the navy Aurora, it looks equally flattering on the girl who has gotten into multiple RBS summer schools as it does on the girl who is only 5 feet tall and and built more like Georgia Godwin than Nastia Liukin. I like Claudia Dean because I have a bigger bust and they're one of the only leotard brands I can wear without something underneath. They are popular with all ages in Australia, particularly ages 10-16, and make lovely audition or exam leotards. I wash them on a cold delicates cycle in the washer (along with bras and undies) and hang them up inside. They have always lasted fabulously well and I have a couple I've been wearing for 2+ years now. In contrast, I have an Eleve leotard which was substantially more expensive and is such a loose fit I feel uncomfortable and not supported, the leg line is very low which is unflattering, and the colour has run in the wash and dyed the mesh!

On the downsides (because there are always downsides), I find the newer Claudia Dean material much thinner than the old stuff. They have added more length in the body of the aurora so I now wear a size smaller than I probably should because otherwise end up with fabric bunching around the middle and the leg line too low. I also find that the new material shows up sweat quite easily, which is not great as we head into Aussie summer. So those are things to be aware of :) 

Hope this helps and if you have any questions about particular styles or colours let me know! 

• Like 3

My 19 year old dd has one Claudia Dean as they are very expensive to import and we got stung with import duty as well, so would not buy another for the cost but she likes and it is flattering. A special leotard for her would be a yumiko that she can design herself, she has a few of those as they are unique, well unless someone does the exact same design 

HTH