LCB 2022 - Anne of Green Gables

RachH

Realised there isn’t a thread for next year’s LCB performance so thought I’d start one! My 9 year old (auditioning in 10 year old group as turns 10 at the end of this month) is through to finals on 21st November, hoping to find other parents who I can obsessively check emails with for the results. 😬 I know there is one more round of auditions to go this weekend too…

• Like 2

On 05/11/2021 at 16:30, RachH said:

Realised there isn’t a thread for next year’s LCB performance so thought I’d start one! My 9 year old (auditioning in 10 year old group as turns 10 at the end of this month) is through to finals on 21st November, hoping to find other parents who I can obsessively check emails with for the results. 😬 I know there is one more round of auditions to go this weekend too…

chookas for your DC

On 06/11/2021 at 09:06, MamaFrosty said:

My 11 year old is auditioning tomorrow, but she’s got her RB Mids audition on the 21st so not sure what we’d do if she gets through to finals. I guess cross the bridge if by some small chance we come to it!

Chookas  for  your DD  

37 minutes ago, BallerinaMum13 said:

How difficult is it to get into LCB? My daughter is too young this year but I was wondering how competitive it is. Also are there any other performance opportunities for children in London? I've seen a few other programmes but they seem to be focused on other regions / cities. 

I think that around 1000 children auditioned for LCB this year (they mentioned there would be up to 350 per day over 3 days) for 98 places - 50 in the main company and 48 the touring. So I’m v proud that my daughter even made finals! There is the National Youth Ballet which usually runs a summer residential followed by performances, although this year they did a London based course with a video performance (which was excellent!) There is also English Youth Ballet which is less competitive to get into (I think usually about half of the children auditioning get places) - it looks like they’re doing a performance in Richmond next summer. Hope that helps!

Ballerinamum: anecdotally, and judging from what we saw in previous years among the people we know who applied, it really seems they value a love of dance and performing very highly. We know some really talented dancers who trained at a very high level and were JAs, who surprisingly didn't get in, and the one thing they had in common was that they were a bit more on the serious and shy side than some of the other dancers we know who were offered a place. Those children were equally strong dancers but generally speaking more outgoing, confident and bubbly if that makes sense. I don't have a huge sample size which I am basing this on but for what it's worth, these were our observations at the time. 

Edited by Medora
edited for clarity
  • Like 1

I forgot to add that you should try and find a school that offers performance opportunities. If you are London based there should be quite a few to choose from, we know some schools that do pretty professional summer/winter shows in proper theatres. That's a really great way to get to perform on stage!

11 hours ago, Medora said:

Ballerinamum: anecdotally, and judging from what we saw in previous years among the people we know who applied, it really seems they value a love of dance and performing very highly. We know some really talented dancers who trained at a very high level and were JAs, who surprisingly didn't get in, and the one thing they had in common was that they were a bit more on the serious and shy side than some of the other dancers we know who were offered a place. Those children were equally strong dancers but generally speaking more outgoing, confident and bubbly if that makes sense. I don't have a huge sample size which I am basing this on but for what it's worth, these were our observations at the time. 

Really surprised by this as altho they say don't wear associate uniform, all the ones I've seen in the 2019 audition who wore associate uniforms were called back... 

12 hours ago, RachH said:

I think that around 1000 children auditioned for LCB this year (they mentioned there would be up to 350 per day over 3 days) for 98 places - 50 in the main company and 48 the touring. So I’m v proud that my daughter even made finals! There is the National Youth Ballet which usually runs a summer residential followed by performances, although this year they did a London based course with a video performance (which was excellent!) There is also English Youth Ballet which is less competitive to get into (I think usually about half of the children auditioning get places) - it looks like they’re doing a performance in Richmond next summer. Hope that helps!

Oh my goodness. Very competitive then! 

22 minutes ago, HopelessMummy said:

Really surprised by this as altho they say don't wear associate uniform, all the ones I've seen in the 2019 audition who wore associate uniforms were called back... 

In the 2017 LCB final auditions my daughter danced next to a stunning JA, who is now at WL. My daughter got main cast, the JA didn’t. My DD was speechless when she realised this. We found that there was a real mix of dancing backgrounds at LCB from children who didn’t do any associates to those that attended several. I don’t think there is anyway of knowing exactly what they’re looking for and I’m guessing it changes each year with the different roles on offer.

Good luck everyone ☘️

Edited by margarite
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, margarite said:

In the 2017 LCB final auditions my daughter danced next to a stunning JA, who is now at WL. My daughter got main cast, the JA didn’t. My DD was speechless when she realised this. We found that there was a real mix of dancing backgrounds at LCB from children who didn’t do any associates to those that attended several. I don’t think there is anyway of knowing exactly what they’re looking for and I’m guessing it changes each year with the different roles on offer.

Good luck everyone ☘️

the best classical dancer may not be the best dance actor  and vice versa ... 

12 hours ago, HopelessMummy said:

I probably didn't explain myself very well - I agree with you in the sense that in my opinion, everyone who made it was very accomplished and talented. However there were some super accomplished dancers who were not successful, and if I had to guess why, the difference between those who made it and those who didn't would be that elusive x factor that some people just have. They were more outgoing, smiley, and above all confident than the other dancers of a similar calibre who made it. My impression is that LCB really appreciate (really talented/accomplished) dancers who can act, and who feel comfortable on stage. This could be the deciding factor. Again my sample size is not big enough to draw any solid conclusions from, these are just my observations

• Like 1

On 10/11/2021 at 23:05, Medora said:

I forgot to add that you should try and find a school that offers performance opportunities. If you are London based there should be quite a few to choose from, we know some schools that do pretty professional summer/winter shows in proper theatres. That's a really great way to get to perform on stage!

Our ballet school does such shows in winter and summer but their older children (10-11 yr olds and above) are so incredibly accomplished that the younger ones only get a few minutes on stage in a show that lasts about 1.5 hours. My daughter loves the school and the performance so there is no question of changing schools at the moment but it would be nice to add something to complement the school.

I think that’s probably going to be the case wherever you go, if your daughter is younger than 9… as far as I am aware, most performance opportunities start from 9 and up. I’m not familiar with dance festivals or competitions myself, maybe that might be worth looking into? We don’t have any schools near us that do them but judging from Instagram there are some young children taking part. 

Back to the topic of LCB, good luck to everyone in the finals next week

To the best of my knowledge, based on past auditions, about half the children at finals get either main cast or tour and the other half get a ‘no’. 
My daughter got a no from finals one year and a yes to main cast the next.

At finals the children are taught dances from the production so the panel can see who fits best into the roles they have.

Edited by margarite
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, margarite said:

To the best of my knowledge, based on past auditions, about half the children at finals get either main cast or tour and the other half get a ‘no’. 
My daughter got a no from finals one year and a yes to main cast the next.

At finals the children are taught dances from the production so the panel can see who fits best into the roles they have.

Thank you for clarifying that. I got the sense from their email that the finals were to decide production or touring. Their email said: ‘From this final round, the panel will select dancers to form the LCB Company and Touring Companies.’

So it is still one more cull to go. I’ll have to calm my nerves!  Good luck all. X

49 minutes ago, Twinkletoes22 said:

Thank you for clarifying that. I got the sense from their email that the finals were to decide production or touring. Their email said: ‘From this final round, the panel will select dancers to form the LCB Company and Touring Companies.’

So it is still one more cull to go. I’ll have to calm my nerves!  Good luck all. X

It is slightly ambiguous but is the same wording they have used in other years and as Margarite has said, after Finals your dc can potentially be offered main company, tour, waitlist for either of those options (places do come up) or a "not this time". Good luck!

8 hours ago, MAK said:

It is slightly ambiguous but is the same wording they have used in other years and as Margarite has said, after Finals your dc can potentially be offered main company, tour, waitlist for either of those options (places do come up) or a "not this time". Good luck!

Thank you for clarifying that for me. I don’t mind and I think neither does my dc. Obviously we’d love to be offered something but she’s gotten this far and that’s massive already. Good luck to all and fingers crossed! 

• Like 1

On 14/11/2021 at 14:50, MAK said:

Thank you for clarifying that for me. I don’t mind and I think neither does my dc. Obviously we’d love to be offered something but she’s gotten this far and that’s massive already. Good luck to all and fingers crossed! 

On 05/11/2021 at 16:30, RachH said:

Please can I also ask, what do the children have to do in the Finals?  Is it the same as the first two rounds or is there something different for the Finals? Thank you  

Good luck everyone! Many many years ago when dd was at finals they taught them sections of the choreography from the actual show to see how 

They picked it up/performed and also to see how well they could portray the character acting parts. Congrats on the finals, (a great achievement in itself) and enjoy! 

On 14/11/2021 at 12:09, Twinkletoes22 said:

Can I please ask, if you make the finals what will the 21st November audition be for? Does it mean you have a place either on production or touring company and they’re just determining which one or is it one more final cull?  Thank you 

It’s the final cull, as well as decisions for company, tour and waitlist