Soft ballet shoe for short toes and wide feet for an adult?

taxi4ballet

Hi all, a friend of mine has taken up adult beginner ballet, and she said to me that the shoes she has dig into the tops of her feet when she rises up onto demi pointe. She's got very short toes and wide feet and I'm at a loss to suggest a make for her to try as I'm completely out of touch with all the brands and styles now. I think she needs something with a shorter vamp than the Capezio ones she's got now. Does anyone have any suggestions please?

I tried adult ballet- briefly- and whilst I don’t have particularly wide feet or short toes they’re not slim and long either. Best ones for me were So Danca, they also did a ‘wide fit’ though that might be dependant on your definition of wide. The non-wide ones fitted me so there definitely were wider ones available. Not sure on vamp though sorry  

I’m the definition of stumpy - though male - and I get on quite well with Repettos. Some of the stretchy ones like the Grishko Dream Stretch maybe?

Has she got the shoes tied

right? It’s possible to tie them on the flat and then discover they’re too tight when you go on demi-pointe. 

• Like 2

I’d go for a stretch canvas without drawstring. Grishko as above or Bloch do multiple widths. If she is near London the Bloch shop would be a good place to try as they have multiple styles and widths in stock that she could try on. Many ballet shops don’t stock all the widths

• Like 1

Our local shop isn't that great unfortunately (that's where she got them from), and she struggles with a mask for any length of time so going up to London on the train is a no-go at the moment. She has canvas shoes with an elastic drawstring at the moment, and has loosened the drawstring. Judging from the photo she sent me, they look both baggy and too tight at the same time, so not a good fit at all.

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll pass them on.

I have wide feet, and find I need to get the Bloch men's ballet flats - don't know what their name is - to get the necessary width.  I wouldn't necessarily describe my toes as stumpy, though, although they're not that long, but I think I probably have a high vamp.

So, okay, your local shop's not much good - but is there anything better that's a shorter journey away than London which she might manage, because there's really no substitute for trying them on?  I'm also wondering whether there's any mileage to be had by ringing a good shop and possibly sending them an outline of the foot on paper to give them some idea of foot shape?  It wouldn't automatically deal with the high vamp, of course.

Don’t be put off by the extreme perfection but rather look at the new product.... I had a mailshot email today but have deleted it so can’t find perfect link, but it’s about new Releve ballet shoes which are designed for maximising opportunity for toes to spread on floor for maximum stability etc. Could be worth a look at? 

https://www.instagram.com/p/CP-XJechrgZ/

• Like 1

I think the issue is more the short toes than the width really. 

Thanks for all your help, it will make it easier if she can ring round local shops and see what they've got before turning up. Most of them seem to stock Roch Valley, Katz, Starlite and Freed, with the occasional other make thrown in, but certainly not a wide range of styles within each make.

The So Danca SD16 stretch canvas shoes really do look wonderful and fit best a massive range of feet. I have short toes and they are the best I’ve tried, I always end up going back to them. They do have a range of widths too, plus the stretch canvas makes the fit a bit more forgiving as there’s a lot of give!

• Like 1

On 11/06/2021 at 14:45, alison said:

I have wide feet, and find I need to get the Bloch men's ballet flats - don't know what their name is - to get the necessary width.  I wouldn't necessarily describe my toes as stumpy, though, although they're not that long, but I think I probably have a high vamp.

So, okay, your local shop's not much good - but is there anything better that's a shorter journey away than London which she might manage, because there's really no substitute for trying them on?  I'm also wondering whether there's any mileage to be had by ringing a good shop and possibly sending them an outline of the foot on paper to give them some idea of foot shape?  It wouldn't automatically deal with the high vamp, of course.

Are they the male synchrony ones? I found these to be the stretchiest out of the bloch ones

I was reading a dance magazine today and it seems Bloch have a new canvas flat called Perfectus which "has been designed to improve dancer performance with an innovative wider toe area that allows the toes to spread while up on relevé with a wider outsole surface area." I thought of this post immediately.

• 2 weeks later...
On 25/06/2021 at 12:40, Kanangra said:

I was reading a dance magazine today and it seems Bloch have a new canvas flat called Perfectus which "has been designed to improve dancer performance with an innovative wider toe area that allows the toes to spread while up on relevé with a wider outsole surface area." I thought of this post immediately.

Yes, they were shoes I referred to in my earlier post as seen on link from Bloch to an Instagram posting. Ironically I couldn’t find the name of the product or the shoes themselves to buy on their (not great) website!!

The concept sounds spot on! 

• Like 1