Vocational school applications for Y7 entry 2022

BalletBoysDad

• Replies 872
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

10 hours ago, SJBallet said:

So sorry to hear your news. I know exactly how you feel. I told DD before her local dance classes on the Friday and she went straight to bed and didn’t want to come out. I let her have her time and by Saturday afternoon she felt able to see her dance friends. Sometimes they just need some time. 

I hope your DD bounces back quickly. X

Thank you. We did the same and let her miss her Friday local class. Have said she has to be brave and go back to Elmhurst today though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bookish said:

Thank you. We did the same and let her miss her Friday local class. Have said she has to be brave and go back to Elmhurst today though.

Bookish I know very few young dancers made finals last year so she won't be the only one xx

12 hours ago, tutugirl said:

Was this from Wednesday’s audition ?

I had results from the Wednesday morning audition yesterday. My DD got through to finals, she’s applying for year 8. She’s been a young dancer since year 4 and is now an extended, she applied last year for year 7 but never got finals.
It was a little different for her last year as they were mostly on zoom but the teacher dosnt talk about it or anything, it’s not discussed in class x 

• Like 1

Hi All - wondering whether anyone knows about the WL finals for boys. The dates have been moved to 7th & 8th of March.

This causes us a difficulty, does anyone know how these days work - is it two days, is it one day with a call back, is the call back if they need to see more or is it the final stage for all those DC still in the running?

Many thanks 😃

2 hours ago, balletboy8 said:

Hi All - wondering whether anyone knows about the WL finals for boys. The dates have been moved to 7th & 8th of March.

This causes us a difficulty, does anyone know how these days work - is it two days, is it one day with a call back, is the call back if they need to see more or is it the final stage for all those DC still in the running?

Many thanks 😃

I know some people have said it’s only 2 days if you get to the second but the info definitely says you will be there for both so that’s what I’m assuming. Our teacher told us some physio assessments take place on day 1 and some on day 2. But who knows! Not heard anything else since the original date change email !

• Like 1

On 09/12/2021 at 13:36, SJBallet said:

I don’t think they take long with the final results. Y7 girls if they get through semis are on the 3rd & 4th. I assume they have to get through the first day and then get called back for the second day. Similar to Elmhurst which is a bit rubbish if you have to book a hotel for 2 nights but don’t actually need the 2nd night!  

On this topic, @SJBallet did you check these dates with RBS after they changed the boys finals in case they changed these too? Boys were 10th & 11th then moved to 7th & 8th, so I wonder if the girls also moved🤷🏻‍♀️ I didn’t think finals would be as early as 3rd March when the last semis aren’t until 18th Feb, and it will probably take them a week or so to get results out so that would only mean one weeks notice. Although this is the first year they’ve had semis so anything is possible I guess! 

37 minutes ago, PurplePirouette said:

On this topic, @SJBallet did you check these dates with RBS after they changed the boys finals in case they changed these too? Boys were 10th & 11th then moved to 7th & 8th, so I wonder if the girls also moved🤷🏻‍♀️ I didn’t think finals would be as early as 3rd March when the last semis aren’t until 18th Feb, and it will probably take them a week or so to get results out so that would only mean one weeks notice. Although this is the first year they’ve had semis so anything is possible I guess! 

Hi. I have no idea to be honest. They may have moved. I don’t know where I got the dates from originally 😁 I think I emailed and asked. It may be a moot point if we do t get through semis 🙈

1 minute ago, SJBallet said:

Hi. I have no idea to be honest. They may have moved. I don’t know where I got the dates from originally 😁 I think I emailed and asked. It may be a moot point if we do t get through semis 🙈

Just rereading again. I checked the dates quite a while ago. So they  could well have changed. 

Edited by SJBallet
Typo

4 hours ago, Ottobotto said:

I know some people have said it’s only 2 days if you get to the second but the info definitely says you will be there for both so that’s what I’m assuming. Our teacher told us some physio assessments take place on day 1 and some on day 2. But who knows! Not heard anything else since the original date change email !

Thank you 😃

Obviously it could be different this year but as a guide, 2 years ago we went with my eldest and the girls were there for both days.  They put them in groups and it was a carousel of the different things (ballet class, physio, academic test, interview and lots of waiting around), over the 2 days.  

I think there was an extra ballet class that a smallish group had to stay for at the end of the second day.  My daughter was not called back for that but got an MA place.

5 minutes ago, BattementBatty said:

Obviously it could be different this year but as a guide, 2 years ago we went with my eldest and the girls were there for both days.  They put them in groups and it was a carousel of the different things (ballet class, physio, academic test, interview and lots of waiting around), over the 2 days.  

I think there was an extra ballet class that a smallish group had to stay for at the end of the second day.  My daughter was not called back for that but got an MA place.

Thank you - what did the academic test comprise of?

28 minutes ago, Balletdad40 said:

Yes, we had a letter Saturday. we’ve been offered a place for year 8 with boarding but no MDS funding 😢.  Not sure if they’re offering any MDS for yr8 this year? 

Congratulations to your child being offered a place. That’s an amazing achievement. Sorry though that there is no funding available. As MissEmily says, very bittersweet. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Balletdad40 said:

Yes, we had a letter Saturday. we’ve been offered a place for year 8 with boarding but no MDS funding 😢.  Not sure if they’re offering any MDS for yr8 this year? 

Oh I’m so sorry there isn’t a MDS place but it’s an achievement that she’s been offered a place.

we haven’t received a letter yet….DS was on the 7th , hopefully tomorrow 🤞

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Julsgalaxy said:

Oh I’m so sorry there isn’t a MDS place but it’s an achievement that she’s been offered a place.

we haven’t received a letter yet….DS was on the 7th , hopefully tomorrow 🤞

That means we have even longer to wait as we were on the 10th. It’s torture! And longer than the 3 weeks they stated! 

Fingers crossed for tomorrow. 

1 hour ago, Ballet Power said:

No, I emailed them but haven’t heard back. I might call them this week or maybe if you email them too.  

I called first but the lady I talked to wasn’t sure so I emailed the registrar and haven’t heard. It’s a long form to fill in so it’s annoying to have to start again for what will be the third time! 

UPDATE

The registrar has just emailed to say the IT department are working to fix it so they will be in touch when it is working. 

Edited by SJBallet
Update
  • Like 1

Can I just double check - is everyone completing the forms for Hammond just paying the £160? I just can't see that this is a reasonable request if it's not returned if you don't get a place. Or am I totally naive? Is this the going rate of the MDS audition everywhere?? Our dance teacher thinks not and thinks this seems a bit much as do I.

1 minute ago, Ottobotto said:

Can I just double check - is everyone completing the forms for Hammond just paying the £160? I just can't see that this is a reasonable request if it's not returned if you don't get a place. Or am I totally naive? Is this the going rate of the MDS audition everywhere?? Our dance teacher thinks not and thinks this seems a bit much as do I.

My DD made finals for RBS and Elmhurst 2 years ago, and we didn't have to pay anything for them!!!

Edited by sunrise81

1 minute ago, Ottobotto said:

Hello. I have paid it. DD really loves the school and so it feels right that I do this. I had expected it though after reading past years info. So whilst I’m gutted that it’s £160 I won’t get back if she doesn’t get funding, at least I’ll know I’ve done my bit. However I do appreciate that not everyone will be able to lay this out. 

As far as I’m aware Hammond are the only ones that ask for this before the audition but I could be wrong.