Vocational school applications for Y7 entry 2022

BalletBoysDad

2 hours ago, Ottobotto said:

Does anyone know how many MDS places are available at Hammond - based on last year maybe?

The current Y7 has 13 kids currently. It’s a small year. I do know that not all of them have MDS. From what I can tell they never tell you exactly how many places there are. 
At the funding finals the kids are ranked and awards are given to the top kids. That said there is ALOT of movement from the waiting lists once all results are out. 

• Replies 872
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, SJBallet said:

Thanks. I think she meant they could take up to 20 for this years intake. it’s still a long shot with so few MDS although at 10 it’s not a million miles away from RBS or Elmhurst. 

That’s probably correct ! I never thought my daughter would be offered an Mds it does happen xx

2 minutes ago, SJBallet said:

Does your daughter enjoy it? X

Omg yes she’s living her absolute dream ! 
We’ve had home sickness but it was very short lived but I think that’s expected with them being so little still, 

They have exeat every 3 weekend so coming home for the weekend is never a million miles away plus I visit some weekends. 
massive decision but seeing how much she is loving life I know I’ve made the right decision x

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Amme76 said:

Omg yes she’s living her absolute dream ! 
We’ve had home sickness but it was very short lived but I think that’s expected with them being so little still, 

They have exeat every 3 weekend so coming home for the weekend is never a million miles away plus I visit some weekends. 
massive decision but seeing how much she is loving life I know I’ve made the right decision x

This really made me smile! 

• Like 1

Just now, Ottobotto said:

Does the MDS funded get re-considered every year? Could they lose it in Year 8 for example....and have to leave? Or is it set for their time there?

Yes the MDS is reassessed every year, it is linked purely to the vocational element of the school (academics make no difference) and can be withdrawn if the student’s dancing/PA is below the standard expected by the school. 
The school my child is at has assessments each term and a main Easter assessment. A letter is sent out each year letting you know the MDS has been awarded for another year.

For entry into US in the same school they usually have to re audition.

4 minutes ago, Ottobotto said:

Does the MDS funded get re-considered every year? Could they lose it in Year 8 for example....and have to leave? Or is it set for their time there?

I’ve never heard of anyone losing their mds at either of the schools my dc attend. Some students switch from dance to theatre arts and give up their mds. Some choose to leave. 

12 minutes ago, MissEmily said:

@SJBalletShe didn't, but my pupil said that on the day, the receptionist told her three weeks and the audition panel told her two...so who knows! Some point between this Monday and next Monday for us, let's hope! It's torture isn't it?!

Ha ha. Yes the receptionist said to us 3 weeks and I’ve just asked DD and she said she was told 3 weeks so I’m thinking towards the end of next week. 

14 hours ago, MissEmily said:

@SJBallet Yes. It'll be awful if some of us have slower postmen than others though!!! Pretty convinced it'll be a "no" from Tring for us, but we'll see!

Please do let me know when they arrive as I'm certain ours will take ages! 

Is anyone else at Elmhurst on Tuesday next week??

2 minutes ago, NotadanceMa said:

Did any Y8 children get offers of a place in the RB finals?

I ask because I know WL changed their system this year and now children are guaranteed I believe 3 yrs without assessing our.

Hi yes I’d be interested to know that too 🤔

3 hours ago, NotadanceMa said:

Did any Y8 children get offers of a place in the RB finals?

I ask because I know WL changed their system this year and now children are guaranteed I believe 3 yrs without assessing our.

I have only heard of three year 8's getting to finals this year

• Like 1

Does anybody know how far Elmhurst is from Birmingham New Street Station please? Our plan to stay with a friend has way has been scuppered due to them now having covid so seeking a plan B - possible training - for next week? Am assuming Taxis are plentiful and easy to get ? And if there is anywhere close to elmhurst to take shelter whilst the audition takes place? Many thanks 

1 minute ago, NotadanceMa said:

Were they all girls or boys and girls? I have no child applying I’m just interested/nosey!

They are all girls, applying for a year 8 place, I think they have kept final audition numbers really small for entry into yr8 and yr9.