Bittersweet anniversaries

Yesterday was the 32nd anniversary of my first trip to the Royal Opera House (Ondine, with Ravenna Tucker in the title role).  Tomorrow it will be a year since I last went to the ballet - there or anywhere else.  Let's hope it won't be too much longer before performances are able to open up again :( 

• Like 17

10 hours ago, alison said:

Yesterday was the 32nd anniversary of my first trip to the Royal Opera House (Ondine, with Ravenna Tucker in the title role).  Tomorrow it will be a year since I last went to the ballet - there or anywhere else.  Let's hope it won't be too much longer before performances are able to open up again :( 

Ravenna Tucker - one of our all-time favourites since we started going to ROH a year before you!

• Like 1

10th March was my last visit to ROH (Akane Takada's Swan Lake) BEFORE the lockdowns/cancellations started. I have managed to attend a few things in the Autumn at ROH and Sadlers Wells between lockdowns, but under social distancing and mask wearing conditions, and only brief hellos to friends. So strange a year - days seem to stretch eternal, and yet suddenly, here we are and a whole year has passed

Lets just hope the latest lockdown, combined with vaccinations, will do the trick and things start opening up again, and opening up properly

• Like 10

The last live ballet I saw was the Cellist/Dancers at a Gathering double bill on 4th March. The last time I was at the ROH was also the last "normal" performance there: La Traviata on 14th March. That was the last time I was in a theatre. Subsequently I've only been to Regent's Park Open Air Theatre, at the end of August.

Edited by Dawnstar

18 hours ago, Don Q Fan said:

My last shows were Onegin at ROH followed by was Alina Cojacuru's matinee at SW In Feb 2020

Ditto!  Exact same last shows in London theatres.  

I did see the cinema relay of The Cellist and Dances at a Gathering after these.

I also went to Cardiff for Acosta DANZA and saw The Red Shoes in Bristol Hippodrome (that did not feel safe .... full house) in March.  

• Like 1

A year ago this week I went to Sunderland on 4 days to watch BRB's wonderful production of Swan Lake- 1 rehearsal (rather relaxed!), a Friends talk by Brandon, a pre-performance talk (Daria), 4 performances. On the Thursday I was even introduced to Carlos Acosta (I had actually met him in Havana several years previously but he was scarcely going to remember that!). The Saturday matinee performance was especially fine (Lachlan and Miki) which was a relief as I had prioritised that over going to Leeds to see the premiere of Northern Ballet's Geisha that night, safe in the knowledge that I had tickets to see Geisha in Leeds the following week. How wrong can you be!

• Like 5

My humble apologies, bangorballetboy and Alison. May I point out that a moderator who referred to 'Daria' on 3 March was not similarly reprimanded.

But you are right that full names are preferable. so.... Brandon Lawrence, Daria Stanciulescu (who performed the role of Queen Mother; less than 10 months later she became an actual mother to Zion), Lachlan Monaghan, Miki Mizutani.

• Like 6

It is a year today since the world premiere (and only performance) of Northern Ballet's Geisha by Kenny Tindall.  It was a stunningly beautiful performance.

There was a tension in the air, not the usual anticipation for a Northern Ballet premiere.  At Leeds Grand the outer doors of the toilets were fixed open so we didn't have to touch them on the way out.  People were talking and speculating that a lockdown was coming.  How naive we were thinking that it would be a couple of months and we would be back to normal.

On the Sunday morning I left my friend's house to drive home and we had a quick hug and said "See you next weekend".  Of course, the rest is history.

Although I was lucky to see some of the performances that took place with optimism in October this was the last "proper" performance I saw before we plunged headlong into this nightmare.

I feel so sad for the dancers and the companies.  It is bad enough to cope with for us dedicated ballet watchers, what must it be like for them?

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Jan McNulty said:

I feel so sad for the dancers and the companies.  It is bad enough to cope with for us dedicated ballet watchers, what must it be like for them?

Absolutely terrible and I have a sense (from ‘reading between the lines’ of many social media posts) that the last three months have been the hardest of all for them. And the limbo continues.........

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
On 14/03/2021 at 08:14, Jan McNulty said:

It is a year today since the world premiere (and only performance) of Northern Ballet's Geisha by Kenny Tindall.  It was a stunningly beautiful performance.

There was a tension in the air, not the usual anticipation for a Northern Ballet premiere.  At Leeds Grand the outer doors of the toilets were fixed open so we didn't have to touch them on the way out.  People were talking and speculating that a lockdown was coming.  How naive we were thinking that it would be a couple of months and we would be back to normal.

On the Sunday morning I left my friend's house to drive home and we had a quick hug and said "See you next weekend".  Of course, the rest is history.

Although I was lucky to see some of the performances that took place with optimism in October this was the last "proper" performance I saw before we plunged headlong into this nightmare.

Especially  as the next  Saturday   was going to be very special indeed   - the Performance of Geisha that was  to be Hannah Bateman's  last  planned performance with Northern in Leeds 

what the  Northern/ The Ballet Retreat Community  conjured from  nothing  (  thanks to  the two Nicola's [one  famous - Gervasi , one not famous / infamous  member  of the TBR family]  and  Giuliano Contadini )  was special...  #hannahsflowercascade

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, NJH said:

Especially  as the next  Saturday   was going to be very special indeed   - the Performance of Geisha that was  to be Hannah Bateman's  last  planned performance with Northern in Leeds 

what the  Northern/ The Ballet Retreat Community  conjured from  nothing  (  thanks to  the two Nicola's [one  famous - Gervasi , one not famous / infamous  member  of the TBR family]  and  Giuliano Contadini )  was special...  #hannahsflowercascade

The flower cascade was such a lovely idea and very, very special.  I was very happy to participate in the online event.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bangorballetboy said:

Always a fan of flower throws!

This was a virtual one.  We all had to post pictures of flowers on Hannah's social media at 7:30, the time the performance should have been starting.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, bangorballetboy said:

Always a fan of flower throws!

because the performance got cancelled  a plan was hatched   between   various people   (  The Ballet Retreat people , Northern Ballet company people  plus  some of the  serious  Northern Fans  like Janet  and a  raft of other people from the dance world)

and  at 1930  hours on that Saturday when the curtain was meant to  go up on the celebratory  performance   Hannah's  social media was filled with  images + little videos  

it was a fabulous  moment   ( and apparently it  got very dusty  ... )