Northern Ballet Academy Leeds - CAT scheme

BusyDancemum

• Replies 327
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

26 minutes ago, BusyDancemum said:

Anyone’s DC applying for Northern Ballet associates or CAT this year?

My DS will be because he was ‘spotted’ and offered a free audition when he did the boys zoom workshop. We just haven’t got around to filming yet, definitely needed a break from audition videos! Ha x

Hi......my dd did CAT when she was Yr 6 (now at Elmhurst). She really enjoyed it and got a lot from it....it made her physically stronger ready for auditions. Just be prepared for spending a lot of time in Leeds!!! We just couldn't sustain it as a family so applied for vocational school.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, sunrise81 said:

Hi......my dd did CAT when she was Yr 6 (now at Elmhurst). She really enjoyed it and got a lot from it....it made her physically stronger ready for auditions. Just be prepared for spending a lot of time in Leeds!!! We just couldn't sustain it as a family so applied for vocational school.

My year 8 daughter does CAT but only started last year and yes the time spent in Leeds is a lot! She’s really Missed out as the hours were halved when they could attend and then mostly have been zoom but she absolutely loves it.  My younger daughter also wants to to CAT but is only year 4 so too young yet but might try for associates.

• Jan McNulty changed the title to Northern Ballet Academy Leeds - CAT scheme
3 hours ago, Looloo said:

Something we were considering. Does anyone know what a CAT week can look likely - roughly? 

So my dd when she was Yr 6 it was Tuesday and Thursday from 5pm til 7.30pm, and then Saturday from 12.30pm til 4pm with some sessions til 6pm. Then most school holidays expect a day or two there aswell which they are expected to attend including the 2 week summer school before they start

• Like 1

Has anyone submitted their video and had a yes/no for recalls yet? I was wondering whether the bit where it said about staggered feedback was about the yes/no to recall or the result from recall? 

In other words should my anxious email refreshing 😆 start once I’ve submitted the application, or wait until after the 12th deadline? 

Good luck everyone!!! 

Hi, I have two daughters on the CAT scheme, a young one and an older one, both love it. Pre Covid it’s a lot of hours in Leeds , my youngest at the moment is there one night a week and a couple of hours on a Saturday, it’s a shame they aren’t getting the full experience at the moment but hopefully that will change soon . 

I have applied for DD for CAT this year. I've also been checking emails every 5 seconds just in case, even though it doesn't close until the 12th and also says contact them by the 29th March if you haven't heard so really I shouldn't be expecting anything until at least the 12th. They do tend to be super efficient though from previous experience with them with my DS so I'm hoping for an early response. Good luck everyone. When I signed up DD she was applicant 385 and that was a week ago, my friend did it a week before me and was 99! But that must be for JA's too x

Edited by Shelovesdance
  • Like 1

On 26/02/2021 at 15:58, sunrise81 said:

So my dd when she was Yr 6 it was Tuesday and Thursday from 5pm til 7.30pm, and then Saturday from 12.30pm til 4pm with some sessions til 6pm. Then most school holidays expect a day or two there aswell which they are expected to attend including the 2 week summer school before they start

Thank you - always good to have a rough idea, when working out whether or not it could potentially be an option to consider 😊

• Like 1

I have noticed that the first round of Finals is scheduled 13th March, followed by 21st March (two further dates thereafter) ... are these correct? 

as it does say submissions are open until 12th March too - Friday. 

1 hour ago, Looloo said:

I have noticed that the first round of Finals is scheduled 13th March, followed by 21st March (two further dates thereafter) ... are these correct? 

as it does say submissions are open until 12th March too - Friday. 

I’m not sure? I would have thought they would want to wait for them to be in person. I think they were the original planned dates maybe? Surely they can’t be in person before April? Or I might be getting totally confused with all the constantly shifting lockdown info? 

9 minutes ago, HowMuch! said:

I’m not sure? I would have thought they would want to wait for them to be in person. I think they were the original planned dates maybe? Surely they can’t be in person before April? Or I might be getting totally confused with all the constantly shifting lockdown info? 

It’s a tricky one, we do have some finals scheduled, in person, across the next couple of weeks - so they are permitted. 

56 minutes ago, Looloo said:

It’s a tricky one, we do have some finals scheduled, in person, across the next couple of weeks - so they are permitted. 

Ah! Hopefully the finals can be soon then. Fingers crossed we get to finals!!!! 

We’ve sent our audition off - it’s the first time we’ve tried for northern, she’s in midlands in Mansfield already - she tried for royal for y4 but didn’t get in and refused last year after I’d paid because it wasn’t live! This year she wants to do all of them 🤦‍♀️

good luck to everyone 

Hi 👋, been keeping an eye on this post for awhile and just wondered if anybody who has sent their audition videos have had a reply yet? My daughters audition video has been viewed but heard nothing as of yet 😬 its my daughters first try for Northern too.

Good luck to everyone 

4 hours ago, Springflower said:

Hi 👋, been keeping an eye on this post for awhile and just wondered if anybody who has sent their audition videos have had a reply yet? My daughters audition video has been viewed but heard nothing as of yet 😬 its my daughters first try for Northern too.

Good luck to everyone 

Hi Springflower, we submitted ours a while back and haven’t heard anything yet. I haven’t looked to see if it’s been watched though. I don’t think we’ll hear anything before the deadline, and maybe not until the Monday. I think the bit they’ve said about people getting results at different times might mean that we could hear anytime from the closing date until 29th March, I don’t think it’ll be before - I might just be convincing myself of that though so I don’t obsessively check my emails all week! 😂

Edited by HowMuch!
  • Like 1

Hi. I have just submitted our application for our DD. It is our first time applying for Northern Associates. Does anyone know what they look for or is that the million dollar question? 😂 The exercises looked quite difficult for her age/level but she has had a good try. Good luck everyone

45 minutes ago, HowMuch! said:

Hi Springflower, we submitted ours a while back and haven’t heard anything yet. I haven’t looked to see if it’s been watched though. I don’t think we’ll hear anything before the deadline, and maybe not until the Monday. I think the bit they’ve said about people getting results at different times might mean that we could hear anytime from the closing date until 29th March, I don’t think it’ll be before - I might just be convincing myself of that though so I don’t obsessively check my emails all week! 😂

I hoped we would hear sooner, I hate playing the waiting game 😂. After rereading the audition page though, I think they will do the CATS first, we only auditioned for the associates so could be waiting a while 😬

Hi we applied for senior Associates only -video submitted around 10 days ago . Not heard anything yet . Does anyone know roughly  how many places there are ? More for juniors than seniors ? 

10 hours ago, CRH said:

Hi we applied for senior Associates only -video submitted around 10 days ago . Not heard anything yet . Does anyone know roughly  how many places there are ? More for juniors than seniors ? 

I’m not sure of numbers and I think there’s been a few changes since covid though and classes are smaller - there are a few AoNB associate parents on here who may know more? I get the sense that there’s fewer spots available as you go up the age groups but there will be children leaving associates for CAT and other vocational places, as well as those assessed out or left for other reasons, at key points. Sorry that’s not particularly helpful! 

12 hours ago, Balletbuds80 said:

Hi. I have just submitted our application for our DD. It is our first time applying for Northern Associates. Does anyone know what they look for or is that the million dollar question? 😂 The exercises looked quite difficult for her age/level but she has had a good try. Good luck everyone

I thought the 9-11 video was difficult too, especially for the 9 year olds! I guess they’re looking for body/muscle intelligence, strength, musicality etc etc. My DD has been to finals before and was a reserve last year but they don’t give feedback so I have no idea what she was ‘missing’. 

• Like 1

@CRH My Dd is an intermediate associate. There are about 30 in a class of roughly 2 year groups (seniors Y10-11 ). Last year nobody was asked to leave the programme out of fairness because of Covid but this year assessments (of a sort) are going ahead at the end of April so I think you can assume there'll be a small number of spaces in all classes.

10 hours ago, CRH said:

Yes I think spaces available will get more limited as they get older unfortunately. We aren't holding much hope of getting a place, my daughter would have preferred a live audition. Always worth a try though!

1 hour ago, Streetdancer said:

I think teachers can ask for feedback on behalf of pupils - we definitely got some when Dd was a reserve.

That’s good to know. If she gets a no or reserve this year then I’ll see if we can get feedback. Thank you!

1 hour ago, Springflower said:

Yes I think spaces available will get more limited as they get older unfortunately. We aren't holding much hope of getting a place, my daughter would have preferred a live audition. Always worth a try though!

Definitely worth a try! Hopefully the finals will all be live which will help.

• Like 1