Northern Ballet Academy Leeds - CAT scheme

BusyDancemum

• Replies 327
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

9 hours ago, Streetdancer said:

@CRH My Dd is an intermediate associate. There are about 30 in a class of roughly 2 year groups (seniors Y10-11 ). Last year nobody was asked to leave the programme out of fairness because of Covid but this year assessments (of a sort) are going ahead at the end of April so I think you can assume there'll be a small number of spaces in all classes.

Thanks for the info . Yes I thought as much .probably very very few places 😬.
 I wonder how many new applicants they have had . Let’s face it filming a video is a bit more of a faff than popping along to a live audition ... maybe it’s put a few off applying ( fingers crossed !) 

19 minutes ago, Balletbuds80 said:

Has anyone one had a view yet? We submitted ours yesterday and we have had a view but think it’s just to check if it’s working. Wondering if they have started looking at them yet? 

Ours has definitely been viewed, heard nothing yet though. 

On 11/03/2021 at 17:53, Mumofmidge said:

I sent mine on drop box so no idea if it’s been viewed!! This is torture! 

Same here! I put it to a random place in the video instead of at the beginning hoping then I’d be able to tell when it was viewed but then forgot and now I don’t know where I set it😂 

1 hour ago, PutYourBooteesOn said:

My daughter is a y6 cat after doing JAs and being invited to move to cat. She's loved her time there, though is going to vocational school this year. Miss Cara is especially fabulous but they're all great. It's been a shame they've missed so much this year though... Like everything else! 

@PutYourBooteesOn Hello! Are you able to tell us a bit more about the associates? How many are usually in a class and are they all put together for 9-11 year olds or in seperate year groups? I have a 9 year old DD who has applied but don’t know anyone who has done the associates to ask. 

22 minutes ago, Springflower said:

If you go on the audition page it looks like its still open, just seen they are offering a free class for boys too so maybe they are pushing for more boys to apply? 🤔

Possibly. I think there’s always a push for more boys, there’s so few compared to girls so it’s understandable. I get the sense that lots of their boys are ‘spotted’ rather than come straight through from auditions too so these events feel important. 

I’m filled with doubt today. My daughter was a reserve last year for CAT but I still feel doubtful she’ll get through this year. 

I think we’ll get recall yes/no emails either Wednesday or Thursday. Last year it was the Thursday after a Sunday prelim audition. 

1 minute ago, HowMuch! said:

Possibly. I think there’s always a push for more boys, there’s so few compared to girls so it’s understandable. I get the sense that lots of their boys are ‘spotted’ rather than come straight through from auditions too so these events feel important. 

I’m filled with doubt today. My daughter was a reserve last year for CAT but I still feel doubtful she’ll get through this year. 

I think we’ll get recall yes/no emails either Wednesday or Thursday. Last year it was the Thursday after a Sunday prelim audition. 

Yes very understandable, I always think its a shame you see few boys. 

It sounds like your daughter has a great chance after being a reserve previously, hopefully they can take more on this year! I'm very nervous for the email to come through, but like you I'm very doubtful we will get a yes this time 

2 minutes ago, Springflower said:

Yes very understandable, I always think its a shame you see few boys. 

It sounds like your daughter has a great chance after being a reserve previously, hopefully they can take more on this year! I'm very nervous for the email to come through, but like you I'm very doubtful we will get a yes this time 

Last year was such a horrid year. She was reserve for both Cat and associates which would ordinarily have given her a big chance of a spot coming free. But covid reduced their numbers and no spots came up.

47 minutes ago, HowMuch! said:

Last year was such a horrid year. She was reserve for both Cat and associates which would ordinarily have given her a big chance of a spot coming free. But covid reduced their numbers and no spots came up.

Being a reserve is still such a great achievement, fingers crossed this year is your daughters year! Has she applied for both CATS and associates?

1 minute ago, Springflower said:

Being a reserve is still such a great achievement, fingers crossed this year is your daughters year! Has she applied for both CATS and associates?

She has. I have everything crossed for her! The audition video nearly broke her spirit, but fingers crossed for a studio final if we get that far. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, HowMuch! said:

She has. I have everything crossed for her! The audition video nearly broke her spirit, but fingers crossed for a studio final if we get that far. 

fingers crossed for your daughter , do you know what they look for in students ? .

1 hour ago, Flamenco said:

fingers crossed for your daughter , do you know what they look for in students ? .

I think that’s the million dollar question! I’m not sure to be honest. I think strength is a big thing for associates places. I don’t feel like there’s a body shape, limb length type focus as much as RBS has. Other than that I’m really not sure. They really like to see enthusiasm, difficult on a home video! 

Hi. We had another view yesterday. The first must have been to test the link but they seem to have watched more this time but not the full video. Any ideas why they may not watch the whole video? If it’s the stretches at the end, I would be happier about it than skipping the exercises as she did everything better on the second time around in each each exercise (once she was in the flow). Although she is very flexible too so it’s definitely her strength. Does anyone think the stretches might be for the CAT applicants? Or possibly if it’s between multiple dancers, then they may relook at the stretches to decide between those people? 
All this second guessing 🤯 I don’t know why I do it to myself 😂

Edited by Balletbuds80

14 minutes ago, Balletbuds80 said:

Hi. We had another view yesterday. The first must have been to test the link but they seem to have watched more this time but not the full video. Any ideas why they may not watch the whole video? If it’s the stretches at the end, I would be happier about it than skipping the exercises as she did everything better on the second time around in each each exercise (once she was in the flow). Although she is very flexible too so it’s definitely her strength. Does anyone think the stretches might be for the CAT applicants? Or possibly if it’s between multiple dancers, then they may relook at the stretches to decide between those people? 

I think we can get ourselves tied up in knots with the not knowing. I’m not looking to see if ours has been watched. I think that they can see what they’re looking for quite quickly so I wouldn’t be too worried about a short viewing. 

22 minutes ago, Balletbuds80 said:

We also had a second view yesterday but ours wasn't for as long as the first view! I'm not sure if that's a good or a bad sign. Wish I hadn't checked 😂

1 hour ago, Springflower said:

They must have been just testing your link. We've had a 6 min 30 sec viewing and yesterday 3 min 10 sec. I'm going to stop checking now because its driving me mad lol!

How long was your video in total? Ours was 8 mins 22 seconds and I think 6 of it has been watched. How do you see the minutes and seconds? Was yours uploaded to YouTube or another?