Lockdown and General Streaming Thread

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Reminder- Miami City Ballet in Balanchine’s Firebird at 8pm est. Only via their Facebook page? Hopefully also on YouTube, so that we all can watch on our Smart TVs. :)

https://www.facebook.com/miamicityballet/

I call today “Super Friday” because there’s so much ballet streaming premiering: NYCB contemporary mix, Cathy Marston Double-Header (Royal & SanFco), Miami Firebird. Then the Lincoln Center at Home streaming Dance Week. Arizona in Symphony in Three Mvts only on Sunday. First we need to make it through “Super Friday”!

Courtesy of BA -

(1) The Vienna State Opera has posted its streaming schedule for June. It will include Giselle on 6th June, Neumeier's Legend of Joseph and Verklungene Feste on 10th June and (excitingly) segments from an assortment of Nureyev Galas on 25th June, although what was to be danced and by whom is not specifically listed.

(2) The National Ballet of Japan in MacMillan's R&J can be seen here for one week.  Took a peek and it looks to be visually very well framed.  

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 3

Oh good.  I was thinking Vienna had been a bit quiet recently.

I've just remembered that Legend of Joseph was the first Neumeier I ever saw - with Kevin Haigen et al - on TV back in around 1990 ...

It is some while since Mark Morris and his dance troupe appeared in London, but once seen, never forgotten.

He has a choreographed Lonely Waltz, a 2-minute version of Ravel's La Valse, for his company performing under lockdown in each of their homes.  It brought a smile to my face.

• Like 1

Many thanks for the Merry Widow link Jane S. It's been a busy ballet weekend.

Thought I'd post this link.

https://www.pointemagazine.com/online-ballet-performances-2645584131.html?rebelltitem=15#rebelltitem15

Apologies if this has already been mentioned. The magazine is 31st March so quite a few of the ballets mentioned have already gone. However it has been updated on 27th May with some coming items notably Miami City Ballet 

Miami City Ballet

Tune in on Friday nights for Miami City Ballet's new digital performance series. Called Friday Night Spotlights, the series begins May 29 at 8 pm EDT and continues every two weeks through July, with all performances aired on MCB's Facebook page. Check out the calendar below for details:

• May 29: Firebird by George Balanchine and Jerome Robbins, with all-new sets and costumes by Anya Klepikov
  • June 12: Justin Peck's Heatscape, a tribute to Miami's Wynwood Arts District with designs by artist Shepard Fairey
  • June 26: Nine Sinatra Songs by Twyla Tharp
  • July 10: Alexei Ratmansky's Symphonic Dances, to music by Rachmaninoff

Also the final link seemed to have several general goodies.

• Like 2

Here is Ballet Arizona's take on Balanchine's Symphony in Three Movements ... It will only be current for 24 hours ... 

Choreography by George Balanchine
Staged by Ib Andersen
Music by Igor Stravinsky
Original Lighting Design by Mark Stanley
Lighting Recreated by Michael Korsch
Costume Design by Karinska

Cast:
I.
Jillian Barrell, Helio Lima
Mimi Tompkins, Randy Pacheco
Rochelle Anvik, Ethan Price

Colleen Buckley, Amber Lewis, Kaelyn Magee, Allison Remmers, Chelsea Teel

Connor Cohen, Eric Hipolito Jr., Annier Navarro, Alberto Penalver, Ricardo Santos

Christine Arendt, Alli Chester, Ava Cobb, Sarah Diniz, Annika Erickson, Gillian George, Ana Leticia Godoy, Aubrey Kazimi, Marina Lee, Lauren Kness, Katherine Loxtercamp, Riley McGregor, Jelena Mitrovic, Katherine Moser, Jessica Phillips, Camille Sevrain, Ana Maria Spear, Sasha Vincett

II.

Jillian Barrell, Helio Lima

III.

Entire Cast

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 5

57 minutes ago, Jane S said:

Dance Theatre of Harlem announce an on-demand series, starting with their famous 'Creole' Giselle - some background features to start with and then the full ballet on Sat 6th June. This really is a 'must see' production!

This looks very worth while. It says 8pm, but not sure what time zone that is in.

Guest oncnp
3 minutes ago, Stevie said:

This looks very worth while. It says 8pm, but not sure what time zone that is in.

As they are based in New York I'm guessing US Eastern Daylight - BST - 5 hrs. 

3 hours ago, Jeannette said:

BalletMet (Columbus, OH, USA) in Ulysses Dove’s Red Angels, originally choreographed for the NYCB. Staged by BalletMet’s A.D. and former NYCB soloist Edwaard Liang.

https://www.balletmet.org/virtual-performances/

Thanks for this.  How well I remember that original NYCB cast.  The ever entrancing - and much missed - Albert Evans, Wendy Whelan balanced against Peter Boal and Darci Kistler.  

8 minutes ago, Jeannette said:

It’s the SAB’s (School of Am Ballet) own Youtube channel - not Lincoln Center’s - for today’s “SAB Celebration” program to include Scotch Symphony, InCreases, Agon pdd and Circus Polka. Premieres at 7pm Eastern.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeIUVH2dyFtZv0PAR2WTvLQ

Respectfully the SAB performance noted above has been postponed:

"The School of American Ballet has made the decision to postpone the Virtual Workshop Performance Celebration which had been scheduled to stream from Monday, June 1, to Friday, June 5. At this time of national [e.g., USA] strife and soul searching following the murders of George Floyd, Ahmaud Arbery, Tony McDade, and Breonna Taylor, the focus of our School has turned to reflection and purposeful solidarity with the Black community. We will revisit our plans for the Virtual Workshop Performance Celebration at a more appropriate time in the coming months."

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 1

Having not watched anything yesterday the morning started for me with SJD (Shobana Jeyasingh Dance).

This week some extracts form her work Strange Blooms is being streamed. It starts and ends with discussion. I found this a riveting piece. The Dance is from 3.19 to 19.20.

• Like 1

Much respect for Joseph Sissons for using his profile in the dance world to comment so eloquently on this issue. I think one of the biggest challenges we will see though is how all of the supportive talk will translate to actual change, especially in America, within the police force and their governance.  

In other news, Mariinsky TV on Youtube is currently showing The Fountain of Bakhchisarai - live since Sunday evening but not sure how long for... They have also put Raymonda back online again. Not sure how long for hence reluctant to post in the calendar but I've embedded links below. Both feature Xander Parish and Victoria Terekshina. In Fountain, really enjoyed performance of Anastasia Matvienko as Maria and Roman Belyakov as the Crimean Khan. 

Mariinksy TV seems to be quite the operation and enjoying having such good access to ballets which are less usual in the UK.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jeannette said:

Maria Kochetkova’s 2019 Show to be streamed by the Joyce Theatre..

https://www.joyce.org/engage/joycestream

The same JoyceStream link takes you to a delightful 36-minute documentary that follows students of the Royal Danish Ballet school, When I Dance. Included are scenes of the current RDB Nutcracker (staged by Hubbe) and a gorgeous segment of my favorite RDB ballerina, Ida Pretorius, rehearsing Odette. The Kochetkova program begins on Friday; in the meantime, enjoy this lovely Danish program with English subtitles.

Thanks, Bruce. Actually, I Beta-recorded the whole show in Dec ‘83 (since transferred to DVD)...so I was reporting for others. And it appears that Lincoln Center has removed its website’s reference to the entire show...so not sure what’s cooking. Blackout Wednesday? Still, good to see your links to the individual ballets.

This whole Lincoln Center “Dance Week” has been bizarre. It began swimmingly on Saturday with a glorious direct-Youtube-link Midsummer, followed by odd situations. Sigh. 

Edited by Jeannette

The Béjart Ballet Lausanne wraps up its season in style in your home

From Thursday, June 4 to Sunday, June 7, 2020

Histoire D’Eux, by Tony Fabre

Brel et Barbara (excerpts), by Maurice Béjart

The Choreographer - A portrait of Maurice Béjart, a documentary by France Brel (2006)

From Thursday, June 11 to Sunday, June 14, 2020

The Ninth Symphony, by Maurice Béjart, on the music of Ludwig van Beethoven

From Thursday, June 18 to Sunday, June 21, 2020

Ballet for Life, by Maurice Béjart

Queen+Béjart: Ballet for Life, a documentary by Lynne Wake (2018)

This ballet and documentary won't be available in Italy, Japan, Russia and the Commonwealth of Independent States due to broadcasting restrictions.

From Thursday, June 25 to Sunday, June 28, 2020 

Gil Roman - I come from dance, I come from there, produced by Association Plans Fixes, interview conducted by the Swiss journalist and author Patrick Ferla

An American Swan in Paris, a documentary by Arantxa Aguirre

https://www.bejart.ch/

We had smooth sailing with the Ailey program that premiered last night. Thank you, Lincoln Center!

Streams premiering today from the US include Kochetkova at the Joyce Theatre, San Francisco Ballet with “Director’s Choice” of   brief works by Wheeldon & Tomasson, and - for a donation - Pacific NW Ballet In Tharp s Waiting at the Station. All continue beyond the premiere for several days.