Prix de Lausanne competition

allegro11

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And the lack of British girls has been worrying; I know there have been more students from British schools in the past but even the girls from our schools have tended to be students from abroad for the last couple of years. :-(

Don't know without hearing direct from students or their parents. I know a small number entered from Elmhurst when my soon was there (he was injured) but none got to finals that year. I've seen the I'd student from ENBS get through but as you said, usually international students for some reason. And don't remember the last time I saw an RBS student in the final but don't know whether they're not entering. Maybe the panel don't like the British style!

No idea who did and didn't apply for the competition and why - but I doubt that the small number of competitors from British schools reflects a lack of local talent. The RB's graduate class, for example, has some amazing dancers. But there could be all sorts of reasons why individual students might have chosen not to enter (including other opportunities that are more likely to benefit them professionally).

NB: No critisim of Lausanne intended- just meant that competitions, and this one, aren't necessarily the right move for all talented dancers. In fact, I think Lausanne has done incredible pioneering work - not just in giving exposure and opportunties to talented young dancers, but also in proactively taking steps to promote dancers' health, when some other competitions don't seem to care how their competitors get to the 'required' technical standard. See the Prix de Lausanne health's policy at:

http://www.prixdelausanne.org/v4/index.php/health.html

From the last paragraph:

Doesn't responsibility for the health of these young dancers mostly lie with their parents and those supervising their training?

That is absolutely true, but the organizing committee of the Prix de Lausanne feels that it is highly irresponsible to simply turn a blind eye to the health risks related to excessive thinness or to an injury due to excessive strain, as this compromises a dancer's long-term development.

Yaffa

• Like 2

Max certainly did very well after his appearance in the final, as did Lewis from Elmhurst a couple of years before, both now at BRB.

I seem to remember thinking it would've been really expensive to go ;-)

• Like 1

I think its really expensive and a lot of the prizes are for a free year's training at top international schools including RBS, so if you are already at RBS, why would you enter? My impression is that it is a huge opportunity for talented dancers, particularly from abroad, to be seen by top international schools and much more crucially, get funded to attend them through the scholarship prizes.

• Like 2

I wonder whether students from other countries eg Russia and China apply in greater numbers because for many it is a route into upper schools abroad particularly schools such as the RBS. If you win the Prix de Lausanne you have the pick of the schools and a scholarship to to train abroad. Many overseas students training in the UK have won a prize at this competition. You can see a list of previous prize-winners on the web. Many of the names will be familiar to you.

When we attended the parents day at Royal someone asked if they enter the students into many competitions we were told that as many of the prize winners receive scholarships to top schools including Royal they dont tend to enter some competitions .

• Like 1

Ribbons, we were posting almost the same thing at the same time. If you were at, say, the RBS but were not fully-funded (few students are, I understand) it could be worthwhile applying because if you won you would get full funding for a year as well as the useful exposure and prestige which comes with winning a respected international competition. Julie mentioned Max and Lewis who have both secured contracts with BRB. It would be interesting to know what motivated those young men to enter the competition. I'm sure that doing well in, or better still winning, the competition must help students when they come to apply for jobs.

• Like 1

I think in Lewis' case it enabled him to have an apprenticeship year at BRB - and he then went on to get the full contract afterwards. So for him it wasn't about getting the opportunity to go to a good school (as he already was ;) ) it was about getting an apprenticeship.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Tom has flown out with his mom and is very excited!! Looking forward to his progress, He has always been an exciting dancer to watch from teh day he first started dancing, will never forget him in the dance school Summer School playing 'ken' in 'Come on Barbie' when he was about 6 or 7, he just loved all the attention!! You go Tom!!

• Like 8