Prix de Lausanne competition

allegro11

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just Ballet a stupid question but where do you watch it? Or rather what is the website?

Not a stupid question - The website for the competition is at http://www.prixdelausanne.org

The multimedia section has areas for pictures, videos, ipad/iphone app etc.

The day-by-day 2013 videos are at: http://www.prixdelausanne.org/v4/index.php/Videoblog-2013/

Yaffa

[edited to correct typo]

Edited by Yaffa
  • Like 2

Fantastic news for Tom and central school of ballet must be so proud of him. I am not sure how many British students enter this competition but I can imagine that there would be plenty of them as this is a very prestigious competition and one to get spotted at.

• Like 1

Tom is the only UK student at a UK school.  There was a young German lady from ENBS but don't think she has gone through, not sure.  Tom, like all the other dancers, really deserves this, he has certainly worked hard and comes from a non vocational background but from a very good local school and attended SA's before going to Central at 16.

Difficult to even get selected to go out there. My ds didn't even try as he was recovering from injury but I know a few friends did but none got through. I wonder whether their DVDs need improving so that they catch the eye but we also have to remember that all the students are very small fish in a very big pond when you look at Europe as a whole.

Do RBS not enter anyone? I can't remember ever seeing them there but perhaps they feel there's no need as the prizes are no better than what's already available to them ;-) and of course they get a lot of exposure at YBDY

Do RBS not enter anyone? I can't remember ever seeing them there but perhaps they feel there's no need as the prizes are no better than what's already available to them ;-) and of course they get a lot of exposure at YBDY

I was thinking the same thing!! Although, if I remember rightly, didn't Darcey Bussell enter the Prix when she was at RBS upper school?

I understand that Sergei Polunin won it when he was at the RBS. The prizes may not be important financially to dancers already at British vocational schools but the prestige and exposure associated with winning a prize must surely be helpful when auditioning for companies. Is the YBDY competition well known outside the UK?

It's the same question that comes up every year, did dancers from some schools apply and not get accepted, or did they not apply in the first place?  I doubt if anyone has heard of YBDY outside UK.

Prix de Lausanne is global, not just European and you will see that as ever, there is a strong contingent from Asia.  These are tomorrow's Principals in the making!

Good luck to all - but especially Tom (& Nacho).

• Like 1

I live in France as some of you know and I believe I'm quite aware of competitions... I've never heard of YBDY! What is it?

YBDY= Young British Dancer of the Year. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Young_British_Dancer_of_the_Year

It's a rare chance to see the top British talent from different schools - but sadly, the semi-finals and finals have always taken place in such small venues (RBS for semi finals and Linbury at ROH for the finals) so that very few people get to see it.

Yaffa

• Like 1

Congratulations to everyone, just being selected to take part is such an honour.  A week of coaching and being seen by top people is a prize in itself!  Loved watching the dancers although I had a problem with the streaming at first so will have to catch up on YouTube later for the first few classical solos.  Surprisingly there were 14 boys and 6 girls in the final - they were all excellent, but I had picked out the two boys who received 1st and 2nd prizes and was delighted to see them placed.

I had an enjoyable afternoon watching this. I, too, had problems with the streaming in the earlier parts, which was frustrating. My rusty French seemed adequate enough to keep up with the interviewer and interviewees, which was an added bonus! All seemed to agree it was a stand-out year - or do they say that every year? - and much was made of the ratio of male to female contestants in the final, as PDQ says above. Leticia Domingues was the one I'd picked out of the female dancers and I was glad to see her recognised. Discovering that Mika Fogarty, one of the wunderkinds from the ballet film First Postion, was in fact a Swiss national and therefore eligible for the Swiss-contestant prize was a bit of a surprise!

• Like 1

Yes, but not for some time. Delia Mathews (ex NZ'er, then joined RBS) whilst at RBS she was a scholarship winner at PdL and YBDY http://www.brb.org.uk/masque/index.htm?act=Person&urn=25197

I'm sure that same year (2007) RBS had a male dancer James Hay, who also won a PdL scholarship.

Can't remember anyone since these two - who actually attended RBS prior to going to PdL.