Birmingham Royal Ballet Promotions 2019

Brandon Lawrence               To Principal

Kit Holder                               To First Soloist

Rory Mackay                          To First Soloist

Valentin Olovyannikov          To First Soloist

Laura Day                               To  Soloist

Beatrice Parma                      To Soloist

• Like 9

Huge congratulations to all the well-deserved promotees!  

Especially thrilled about Brandon Lawrence who has been such a wonderful ambassador for the company over the last couple of years as well as his obvious on-stage talents!

• Like 7

Off the website:

END OF SEASON ANNOUNCEMENTS 

2 JULY 2019

Screen Shot 2019 07 02 At 11 47 29

The past weekend has seen rapturous applause for stand-out performances of one of David Bintley’s signature works. Hobson’s Choice closed the 2018-19 season at London’s Sadler’s Wells and the Company's final performances with David as Director. 

Before the final performance on Saturday 29 June, Birmingham Royal Ballet’s Vice-President, Lady Sarah Chatto, awarded David a special medal marking his remarkable contribution as Director of the Company for 24 years. Following the performance, Sir Peter Wright took to the stage to pay homage to David’s immense contribution to British ballet. He noted that David has been faithful to the vision of our founder Dame Ninette de Valois: ‘Respect the past, herald the future, but concentrate on the present.’

The Company then gathered at the nearby Shakespeare’s Head - one of London’s legendary ‘theatre’ pubs, which will honour David by adding his framed photograph to its gallery. 

During this, David made a public announcement of the following promotions:

Brandon Lawrence is promoted from First Soloist to Principal 
Kit Holder, Rory Mackay and Valentin Olovyannikov are promoted from Soloists to First Soloists
Laura Day and Beatrice Parma are promoted from First Artists to Soloists

Huge congratulations to them all for this well-deserved recognition. 

As previously announced, we said goodbye to First Artist, Ruth Brill who is now much in demand as a choreographer and is now working on projects with London Children’s Ballet and New English Ballet Theatre, as well as acting as Interim Artistic Director/Choreographer for National Youth Ballet.

Compliments to all for yet another exceptional year of outstanding performances by the dancers, world-class music by the Royal Ballet Sinfonia, and top-notch production by our brilliant backstage team.

https://www.brb.org.uk/post/end-of-seasons-announcements

• Like 6

Well, it's been a long time coming, but better late than never :)  Congratulations to all the promotees, but Brandon in particular.  I wasn't sure whether any promotions to principal would be made, given the forthcoming change of leadership.

• Like 8

Hooray for Brandon Lawrence and all other promotees. Also especially pleased to see a promotion for Beatrice Parma - I don't recall seeing her dance previously  and thought she was utterly riveting in Hobson's Choice.

• Like 4

Further to one of my comments in the Hobson's Choice thread, I find it interesting that all three of the dancers being promoted to First Soloist are, I gather, effectively character dancers rather than leading role dancers, as is existing First Soloist Jonathan Payn, so with Brandon Lawrence's promotion to Principal BRB won't have any First Soloists next year who are leading role dancers. Given how many leading roles the RB male First Soloists dance, I'm wondering how BRB manages to function without a similar pool of available men. Do the Principal men solely dance all the leading roles in the classical repetoire at BRB?

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Coated said:

Hooray for Brandon Lawrence and all other promotees

I have 'liked' all the other comments on this but felt I had to add my own as my first reaction to news of Brandon's promotion was 'Hooray!! (and about time too!)

• Like 5

• alison changed the title to Birmingham Royal Ballet Promotions 2019