Ballet Boost Associates - thread for questions, tips etc

TinyNEDancer

Now that all of the Associate programme results are back (or at least the ones I know of), and the dust has settled on decisions,

acceptances etc I thought I would start a thread for those who will be a BBA in September (& those who already are) to share tips, ask questions etc. 

(I will also start an Elmhurst one too)

My DD is 8 and we are reasonably new to this type of thing. She’s excited to start though!

My (first) question is, how or where do you get the white ribbon bows that the girls have in their hair? Do you buy them like that or do parents make them themselves? This is probably the most ridiculous question I have asked! 

I look forward to meeting other parents of BBA 😊

My dd is a mid. We just bought 1cm wide ribbon from the local haberdasher and cut a piece enough to tie round her bun and make a bow. If your DD is a JA, I would cut two pieces of ribbon, about 25-30cm long, tie it onto gairpins and make the bow, so you can just slide one each side of the plaits. 

So glad you asked this question! I was wondering the same thing :)

I believe dependent on level (my daughter is starting as a foundation junior) the hairstyles vary.

Izzy has to wear hers in a bridge with a bow each side.  If you go onto the main webpage you can see some girls in the same style.

My daughter can't wait to start and her friend was also accepted into the scheme yesterday which is fantastic.

Her principal is very pro Elmhurst and RBA but I have told her how amazing the scheme is.  I have also spoken to so many parents whos children have thrieved and I am so excited to see how my daughter progresses.

I can't wait to meet/chat to other ballet boost parents.  The uniforms are absolutely lovely and the girls and boys are all going to look very smart.

I have the muscle book and assume it's to help the children have a better understanding of how their body works? I'm slightly concerned about my daughter being able to understand the vocabulary but I'll help her along.

Wow I wrote an essay lol.

1 hour ago, PutYourBooteesOn said:

My dd is a mid. We just bought 1cm wide ribbon from the local haberdasher and cut a piece enough to tie round her bun and make a bow. If your DD is a JA, I would cut two pieces of ribbon, about 25-30cm long, tie it onto gairpins and make the bow, so you can just slide one each side of the plaits. 

That's really helpful, thank you! 

15 hours ago, Ballet2008 said:

My dd is 11 and has been offered, and accepted, a place on the senior associate 😱🙈 She is so excited to start in both Hull and London x

Brilliant! I thought we had some travelling to do but London and Hull is impressive! 

8 minutes ago, Leapfrog said:

We only had one choice for the boys, thought the girls options were lovely though! 

Thanks. It looks like the choices are either; a onesie type all in one; a sweatshirt type material zipped hoodie; or a stretchy, shiny material (can’t see what type of material exactly) jacket. Does that sound right? 

What do most junior girls go for?

13 hours ago, Leapfrog said:

Thank you MummytoIzzy! Chose it because DS used to do these crazy frog like jumps when he was very little which gave us an idea he might like dancing in the future! Good luck with the exam today! 

Thank you! Exam went really well.  No results until September.  She loved it and came out with a beaming smile :)

She's so excited about Ballet boost.  I'm hoping her school will share the enthusiasm when they see how much she gets out of it :). She cannot wait and wishes it was every week lol.

Edited by MummytoIzzy
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, TinyNEDancer said:

Thanks. It looks like the choices are either; a onesie type all in one; a sweatshirt type material zipped hoodie; or a stretchy, shiny material (can’t see what type of material exactly) jacket. Does that sound right? 

What do most junior girls go for?

My daughter has the stretchy black one with grey trim.  It's nice and thick for winter.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Leapfrog said:

I have only been there for an audition so not sure but saw lots of girls in the zip up jacket which looked lovely.

Is that the one that looks like it has green in it, @Leapfrog? Almost like a shiny material? I think that’s the one we will go for. 

If anyone has experience of sizing I would be grateful! 

Lovely to ‘meet’ everyone on this thread 😊

1 hour ago, MummytoIzzy said:

My daughter has the stretchy black one with grey trim.  It's nice and thick for winter.

Thanks @MummytoIzzy. Has your daughter already started or is she due to start in Sept? If Sept then your order came quickly, that’s impressive! Do you have the rest of the uniform yet? I need to have a proper look to see what we need...! 

12 hours ago, TinyNEDancer said:

Is that the one that looks like it has green in it, @Leapfrog? Almost like a shiny material? I think that’s the one we will go for. 

12 hours ago, TinyNEDancer said:

Yes think so!

• Like 1

Hello 👋🏻 am so pleased to find this forum, and particularly this thread. My dd is starting ballet boost in September (London). We’ve just ordered her uniform & she’s super excited. I was wondering about the white ribbons too. Thank you TinyNEDancer for starting this thread :) 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Mummyof3dance said:

Hello 👋🏻 am so pleased to find this forum, and particularly this thread. My dd is starting ballet boost in September (London). We’ve just ordered her uniform & she’s super excited. I was wondering about the white ribbons too. Thank you TinyNEDancer for starting this thread :) 

Hi @Mummyof3dance and welcome!! 

A lot of us are new to the Associate programme stuff so just finding our way! That’s why I thought a friendly and helpful thread would help. There have been some lovely, helpful experienced people who have helped with things like ribbons and jackets, which is brilliant!

Ask whatever you need to ask!

how old is your DD? Is she starting in Juniors? My DD (8) is also really excited! 

1 hour ago, TinyNEDancer said:

Hi @Mummyof3dance and welcome!! 

A lot of us are new to the Associate programme stuff so just finding our way! That’s why I thought a friendly and helpful thread would help. There have been some lovely, helpful experienced people who have helped with things like ribbons and jackets, which is brilliant!

Ask whatever you need to ask!

how old is your DD? Is she starting in Juniors? My DD (8) is also really excited! 

Thank you so much @TinyNEDancer :)

My dd is 8 and will be starting in juniors too. 

I’m sure I will have lots of questions closer to the time. We are also new to the world of associate programmes! 🙌🏻

So exciting for them isn’t it?! 

• 1 month later...

Hi all, my daughter attends ballet boost Exeter and is starting Elmhurst young dancers in Plymouth, year 6in September.  just wondering if anyone else’s little dancer attends both? Only ask because it’s exactly an hour between one finishing and the other starting and it’s a 50-55min journey ... wondering if it’s possible or I’m just crazy to try and fit both in!!!! Bx 

Quite understand wanting to do it all - but just consider what you will do if the journey goes wrong, and also the wear and tear on you and your DD - and presumably the rest of the family.  Is your daughter more likely to end up injured from leaping from one to the other and just dashing in the door as the second class starts?  Last thing you want in year 6  if you are looking at auditions.  Ditto a child who is in less than robust health.

Having said that, I would probably try it!

• Like 1

It would probably be possible on a good traffic day but whether it would be advisable is questionable.   How long is each class/session?  How strenuous are they?  Is your dd used to dancing for that many hours during the day?  Is she prone to injury?   All these factors will make a difference to your decision.  

If your dd is physically very strong and resilient and the sessions aren’t too long then like meadowblythe I might be inclined to try it but as your dd is still young I think you could find it’s all a bit much.   Good luck! 

• Like 1

Yes sorry forgot to mention it would only happen once a month and young dancers is on saturdays at every other location apart from Plymouth (think it was something to do with not clashing with ja’s) . Thank you for your thoughts, it’s so difficult to work out what’s best, especially when the child is so keen to do everything!! She’s fairly strong in body and mind and used to the amount of hours dancing so not too concerned about her coping, but would obviously change things  if it was affecting her physically or mentally. Our family’s pretty used to crazy weekends with the other daughter attending gymnastics!!!