Ballet Boost Associates - thread for questions, tips etc

TinyNEDancer

On 21/08/2019 at 23:05, Bx9 said:

Yes sorry forgot to mention it would only happen once a month and young dancers is on saturdays at every other location apart from Plymouth (think it was something to do with not clashing with ja’s) . Thank you for your thoughts, it’s so difficult to work out what’s best, especially when the child is so keen to do everything!! She’s fairly strong in body and mind and used to the amount of hours dancing so not too concerned about her coping, but would obviously change things  if it was affecting her physically or mentally. Our family’s pretty used to crazy weekends with the other daughter attending gymnastics!!!

We had a similar situation my child auditioned for all 3, BalletBoost, Elmhurst and Royal Ballet and to our astonishment got offered places on all 3! Straight away said wanted to do all 3  but in the end we were concerned about the clash of Ballet Boost and Elmhurst. After much deliberation we declined Elmhurst and stuck with Royal Ballet and Ballet Boost, we thought this may also allow her to audition for panto as Ballet boost is only every 3 Sundays or so and is also auditioning for Birmingham royal ballet swan lake dreams and if gets into that there are potentially rehersal clashes... although it's a big if I expect.

Edited by Crazylifecrazykids

• 2 weeks later...

My daughter started today.  She enjoyed herself and found the teacher very good.

The only part she was disappointed about was a comment from one of the girls.

'Do you do ballet? Because it doesn't look like it'.

My daughter just responded she had a couple of months off as she had broken a bone in her leg and the girl just said ok.

She said she didn't comment further as it was just bullying so she just ignored it.  I was super proud of how she handled it.

I did think it was upsetting at the age of 8 and 9 girls would say hurtful comments already.

I always say treat others as you wish to be treated yourself.  These things certainly upset me more.  A lot of the girls had been doing ballet from a very young age.  Yes my daughter started a year ago but she has done a lot in that time.

She did a class with a Elmhurst teacher recently and he really thought she had potential.  I really hope Ballet boost is the place for her and they encourage the girls to be kind to eachother. 

I did say if anyone is unkind mention it to the teacher.  Did put a slight dampener on her first class bless her.

• Like 1

I know Fiz! Im just glad my daughter is kind and caring.  She sees the best in others.

I'm so proud of her for how she handled herself today.  She was very grown up and a credit to me and my husband.

I just hope it doesn't get worse and continue next time as it would be a real shame.

It upset me more than her definetly as she's not had any negatively in her ballet journey and really loves it.  It's her passion and she takes constructive comments and corrections and works so hard bless her.

I don't want another child taking any of that joy away.

I'm probably over thinking it 🙃.

• Like 2

Replying to Bx9.... when I assumed it was weekly I wrote: Consider too the impact on you (stress always watching the clock as driving etc...) plus the impact on rest of family.... longer weekend time away/more cost/ you & dancer both tired/ missing out on other activities etc etc

Only you can decide but if it were me.....???

Now adding - 

But if the fraught journey day is only once a month we’ll, that’s probably a doable option! Good luck with whatever you decide & happy coffee shop sitting 😉

Edited by Peanut68
Saw more info which changed my thoughts

9 hours ago, TinyNEDancer said:

Ah that’s brilliant!! Is yours every week? Ours is roughly every 2 weeks. Elmhurst is weekly though x

Ballet Boost London is two Sundays per month which will work perfectly for us. I have three DD’s and they all have different activities out of school. 🙈 X

• Like 1

On 12/09/2019 at 20:11, Mummyof3dance said:

Ballet Boost London is two Sundays per month which will work perfectly for us. I have three DD’s and they all have different activities out of school. 🙈 X

Yep! I know that feeling!! 

BBA Hull is roughly 2 weekends a month too. It works well here too. Elmhurst is weekly and it gives us a bit of room for manoeuvre some weekends. 

My DD has already started to talk about the possibility of doing the BB summer school! 

On 17/09/2019 at 22:42, TinyNEDancer said:

Yep! I know that feeling!! 

BBA Hull is roughly 2 weekends a month too. It works well here too. Elmhurst is weekly and it gives us a bit of room for manoeuvre some weekends. 

My DD has already started to talk about the possibility of doing the BB summer school! 

We love the summer school, DD has done the last three years

• 2 months later...

Hi - I do hope it’s OK to ask a question on this existing thread instead of starting a new one... I was after a little advice from those on here whose DDs have successfully gained a place on Ballet Boosts Associates please.

The Ballet Boost Devon is local to us & so we’re very keen to see if my DD could also gain a place. Can I ask if the audition was particularly challenging & did your DDs take private audition lessons prior to the audition? 

Any advice as always is so gratefully received :) x

23 hours ago, TKT said:

Hi - I do hope it’s OK to ask a question on this existing thread instead of starting a new one... I was after a little advice from those on here whose DDs have successfully gained a place on Ballet Boosts Associates please.

The Ballet Boost Devon is local to us & so we’re very keen to see if my DD could also gain a place. Can I ask if the audition was particularly challenging & did your DDs take private audition lessons prior to the audition? 

Any advice as always is so gratefully received :) x

My dd loved the audition, she came out really happy, said she enjoyed it, they did barre work, centre work and corner work. She's never had audition lessons, we just let her have a go 😊 most associates auditions are in the format of a general ballet class. Hope this helps x

39 minutes ago, Crazylifecrazykids said:

My dd loved the audition, she came out really happy, said she enjoyed it, they did barre work, centre work and corner work. She's never had audition lessons, we just let her have a go 😊 most associates auditions are in the format of a general ballet class. Hope this helps x

Hi Crazylifecrazykids, thanks so much for replying, can I ask if your DD is enjoying Ballet Boost? Xx

My DD couldn't make the actual audition so was auditioned as part of the previous year groups assessment class, so I can't help with that, but I can tell you that she LOVES the Ballet Boost classes. We have a 4.5 hour round trip to get there/back and it's so worth it. Happy to answer any questions if we can :)

• Like 1

Hi TinyNEDDancer... Thank you so much for replying. We do a similar journey to TLBC one Sunday a month but it’s so worth it! Can I ask with Ballet Boost, is it a lesson style associate class where they teach & correct? Xx

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TKT said:

Hi TinyNEDDancer... Thank you so much for replying. We do a similar journey to TLBC one Sunday a month but it’s so worth it! Can I ask with Ballet Boost, is it a lesson style associate class where they teach & correct? Xx

Yes, the one DD goes to is (I think so anyway!). The teacher is wonderful, friendly and talks to the children, incredibly good at teaching them in a way that they understand. They all get corrections each lesson. I was so impressed when we watched this weekend. My DD has learnt so much this term. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TinyNEDancer said:

Yes, the one DD goes to is (I think so anyway!). The teacher is wonderful, friendly and talks to the children, incredibly good at teaching them in a way that they understand. They all get corrections each lesson. I was so impressed when we watched this weekend. My DD has learnt so much this term. 

Thank you for sharing your experience, it sounds just what my DD needs... Wish us luck in May 😊 x

31 minutes ago, Crystaltips said:

My dd was in the first cohort to do Senior Associates at Ballet Boost. I can honestly say that it gave her the confidence to handle US auditions. Whether she would have got a place without doing BB is impossible to say but it certainly helped. 

Thank you @Crystaltips Did your DD audition for BB & if so, do you know what was expected of her? My DD is 10.

• 2 months later...
On 01/03/2020 at 14:33, Tikijnr said:

Can anyone tell me what time the junior London sessions are? Wondering if it's worth auditioning. Thank you x

I’m not sure, but the times might be on the website. If not I am 100% sure they would tell you if you contacted them. It’s such a friendly and professional company. 

On 09/12/2019 at 22:22, TKT said:

Thank you @Crystaltips Did your DD audition for BB & if so, do you know what was expected of her? My DD is 10.

Hi..my dd auditioned a year ago now and has loved being with BBA ever since. She didn't do the auditions per se but did an in class audition in Devon. They expect correct turn out, artistry, love of dance, good posture and port de bras. My DS went in expecting nothing and came out having had a great lesson, being offered a place in Devon and London (closer to us) and the ABAs (many rbs associate teachers teach at ABA). She is in 2b now and taught by Lowri shone who is still an enb dancer. The contemporary classes in London are fantastic too and another string to their bow xxx And Emma Northmore is so hands on and so approachable xxx having had 2 assessments now, I can tell you they take much care to provide feedback on every child to enable them individually to grow as a dancer. It's not a standard tick box assessment, each child is watched and reported on, on their own merit, it's important to Ballet Boost. They also have no issue in giving ad hoc feedback. All the teachers are so approachable as are they with attendance. They are supportive if a child has other ballet commitments as long as you are open and honest and they celebrate the children who get other opportunities  such as RBS associates, ybss etc xxx

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...