Jump to content
yvonnep

Keith Money - Christopher Gable: The Dancer from the Dance

Recommended Posts

I’ve been having a huge crush on Christopher Gable since I saw pictures of him dancing in Sylvia, 2 Pigeons and Les Sylphides... In Ballet Association’s News on 2011-05-03, I saw this: 

The distinguished ballet, theatre and documentary photographer Keith Money has made his 279 page book available for free download in pdf format.
In the author's words: "The major portion of this volume comprises a photographic essay which focusses on the complex art of balletic partnership, as exemplified by one particular dancer, Christopher Gable, whose brief yet extraordinary dancing career, principally in the early sixties, brought fresh emphasis to the nuances inherent in ballet double work…"

Christopher Gable

Unfortunate the link doesn’t work anymore. I’m wondering if anyone who has downloaded it could kindly share it with me? Much appreciated!

Edited by yvonnep

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can help with the text, but sadly not with all the images. I'll message you this evening. No spare time at the moment!

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is a query that has been raised previously on several forums. It appears the book was never published other than as an online photo essay available on Keith Money’s website which is sadly no longer available. It would be lovely if someone could host it and make it available again as Money’s four books on Fonteyn and the Royal Ballet are exquisite. It strikes me how little is published in the way of ballet titles these days - other than hugely expensive volumes such as the recent Ed Watson title. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks, Odyssey! Yes, I also saw posts requesting for it in other forums like BalletAlert. It seems that some people did manage to download it at the time the book was made available, but most of them have stopped going to the forum, so the request didn't reach them. On finding that there has been no post about it here on this forum, I thought I'd try my luck :)

I wholeheartedly agree that the books on Fonteyn and Royal Ballet from Keith Money are wonderful!

 

I also love the book from Leslie E Spatt on Sibley and Dowell. In the preface of the book the author said that there were over 1000 pictures of them in her collection. I always wondered if there is a chance that she could publish a sequel to that book...However, I also recognise that there might not be sufficient demand for it as illustrated in the case of the Keith Money book on Christopher Gable :(

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Odyssey said:

This is a query that has been raised previously on several forums. It appears the book was never published other than as an online photo essay available on Keith Money’s website which is sadly no longer available. It would be lovely if someone could host it and make it available again as Money’s four books on Fonteyn and the Royal Ballet are exquisite. It strikes me how little is published in the way of ballet titles these days - other than hugely expensive volumes such as the recent Ed Watson title. 

In case of interest, there is a reference copy of the text only in a biography file on Christopher Gable held at Waltham Forest Local Studies Library. Access is by prior appointment. Email: vhm.enquiries@walthamforest.gov.uk

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, yvonnep said:

 

I also love the book from Leslie E Spatt on Sibley and Dowell. In the preface of the book the author said that there were over 1000 pictures of them in her collection. I always wondered if there is a chance that she could publish a sequel to that book...However, I also recognise that there might not be sufficient demand for it as illustrated in the case of the Keith Money book on Christopher Gable :(

I have that book , a beautiful record of their partnership. I had never noted that the preface indicates that Leslie drew on a very much larger collection. Every now and again some individual photographs appear on eBay, but it would be wonderful if a new book were published. I imagine many of the photographs from that era which are displayed in the corridors and walls of the studios at the Opera House are also by Leslie E Spatt. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've only recently discovered him as a dancer, but I grew up watching him in the musical Slipper and the Rose. I had such a crush on him. He has a great singing voice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You will be delighted to hear I have the complete book which I downloaded at the time.  It is a pdf file.  Can any of the moderators or computer savvy members suggest a way of sharing.  I won't have time to send to individuals.  Does anyone know a host site?

 

I saw Christopher Gable dance when I was a child and followed his career with interest through out his life.  He was magical, it was a great loss to the ballet world the years after he left RB (another own goal there)!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Pas de Quatre said:

You will be delighted to hear I have the complete book which I downloaded at the time.  It is a pdf file.  Can any of the moderators or computer savvy members suggest a way of sharing.  I won't have time to send to individuals.  Does anyone know a host site?

 

I saw Christopher Gable dance when I was a child and followed his career with interest through out his life.  He was magical, it was a great loss to the ballet world the years after he left RB (another own goal there)!

 

I don't think sharing of the book through this site would comply with AUP.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Pas de Quatre said:

You will be delighted to hear I have the complete book which I downloaded at the time.  It is a pdf file.  Can any of the moderators or computer savvy members suggest a way of sharing.  I won't have time to send to individuals.  Does anyone know a host site?

Wow great news! Sure! You can share it with me through another site, and then I can share it with others. I’ll send you a message. Thank you!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, bangorballetboy said:

 

I don't think sharing of the book through this site would comply with AUP.

 Thanks for the information. Why I asked for individual sharing in the first place is that I was not sure whether it complies with the policy to ask for a public download. Do you have the text in the policy that mentions this? Thank you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yvonne, our AUP is posted to the site on the 'About' section.  If you have a read of it, it explains about the use of lengthy quotes, copyright, etc. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Brilliant to hear that a copy has been uncovered. It would be wonderful if it were possible to share this. Thanks in anticipation!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Absolutely!  I saw Gable dance many times - including the 'real first night' of R & J.  I would love to join the queue for a sharing of the book, if this is possible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please PM me with your email address and I will see what I can do.  Very busy with exams/end of term etc at the moment, so there may be a delay before I can reply.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hope I have managed to pm you - only the second time I have tried to pm anyone and am not entirely sure which buttons to press!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For anyone interested in his career after leaving the Royal Ballet look for his marvellous performance as Percy Grainger in Ken  Russell's film about Delius, A Song of Summer.He also played a severely disabled boy in a tv play. it was almost as though he was trying to obliterate all memories of the beautiful dancer he had been by playing such parts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, ninamargaret said:

For anyone interested in his career after leaving the Royal Ballet look for his marvellous performance as Percy Grainger in Ken  Russell's film about Delius, A Song of Summer.He also played a severely disabled boy in a tv play. it was almost as though he was trying to obliterate all memories of the beautiful dancer he had been by playing such parts.

Interesting comment, I was just thinking of his appearance in a Doctor Who story called The Caves of Androzani. Gable played a character called Sharaz Jek, whose severely disfigured face was hidden by a mask. Jek initially appears to be a callous murderer but Gable reveals him to be a pathetic and ultimately tragic individual. Truly an amazing performance in one of the best Doctor Who stories.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

it's almost as though he had become tired of playing handsome young men and either decided to play the opposite or  maybe just to prove he could really act. Who knows?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, ninamargaret said:

For anyone interested in his career after leaving the Royal Ballet look for his marvellous performance as Percy Grainger in Ken  Russell's film about Delius, A Song of Summer.He also played a severely disabled boy in a tv play. it was almost as though he was trying to obliterate all memories of the beautiful dancer he had been by playing such parts.

 

He played Eric Fenby in Delius, A Song of Summer not Percy Grainger. Fenby was the amanuensis of Delius in his last years. I can still remember watching this even after so many years. I also saw him as Ferdinand in The Tempest at Stratford. The only time I ever saw him dance was some time after he left the Royal Ballet when he returned to partner Lynn Seymour in the final Pas de deux from The Two Pigeons at a gala. Seeing them together in that is one of those moments I shall never forget.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Pulcinella said:

 

He played Eric Fenby in Delius, A Song of Summer not Percy Grainger. Fenby was the amanuensis of Delius in his last years. I can still remember watching this even after so many years. I also saw him as Ferdinand in The Tempest at Stratford. The only time I ever saw him dance was some time after he left the Royal Ballet when he returned to partner Lynn Seymour in the final Pas de deux from The Two Pigeons at a gala. Seeing them together in that is one of those moments I shall never forget.

Thanks for the correction, Pulcinella - you're perfectly correct. Put it down to old age!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi, everyone. Thanks a lot to Pas de Quatre, I just got the book. There are lots of great pictures in it that I have never seen, especially of R&J and Hamlet. I'm so delighted to see him with Fonteyn in D&C as well.

 

PM me your email address if you'd like to download the book. Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, yvonnep said:

Hi, everyone. Thanks a lot to Pas de Quatre, I just got the book. There are lots of great pictures in it that I have never seen, especially of R&J and Hamlet. I'm so delighted to see him with Fonteyn in D&C as well.

 

PM me your email address if you'd like to download the book. Thanks!

 

Sorry, what is D&C (apart from an unpleasant medical procedure)?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Jan McNulty said:

 

Sorry, what is D&C (apart from an unpleasant medical procedure)?

 

oh sorry I shouldn't have abbreviated it. It's Daphnie and Cloe.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, yvonnep said:

 

oh sorry I shouldn't have abbreviated it. It's Daphnie and Cloe.

 

Thanks Yvonne - it was probably obvious but my brain was suffering from a gin and tonic at lunchtime!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It was wonderful to hear that Pas de Quatre has a copy of the original online release of the book. Was anything resolved, Pas de Quatre, about how to share the pdf file? i then noticed a comment by you requesting anyone liking it to PM their email address - mine is [deleted]. Are there any other developments in relation to this? Thanks very much if you can reply.

Edited by alison
Remove personal information

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Alexderavin - I will send it over to you tomorrow.  It was successfully shared with other people last summer so no reason to expect any problems now. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I remember Christopher Gable in Ken Russell's version of 'The Boyfriend'.  During a Busby Berkeley style fantasy section he dances with Twiggy on a huge 78" (that's an early vinyl record, for all you youngsters.) In another one he carries her in a Voices of Spring lift over a country bridge and they dance around a folly of a Greek Temple.  See the internet movie database for more images: www.imdb.com.

 

Linda

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...