Arthur Mitchell RIP

It has been announced that the remarkable Arthur Mitchell has passed away. This wonderful dancer and founder of DTH was an inspiration to generations of children of colour who had a dream of being a dancer one day. I feel so very fortunate to have met Mr Mitchell and admit that he also inspired me. A great loss.🙏

Edited by Sharon
  • Like 10

• Jan McNulty changed the title to Arthur Mitchell RIP

Oh,  this is a shock,  as he was only quite recently interviewed by Darcey B for her Ballet Heroes programme and he looked wonderful.   I remember him telling this story:

"At New York City Ballet, everybody was on my side, whatever we did. There were a couple of instances where we would do a television program and the producers said, “Well you can’t do that piece with the black guy.” [New York City Ballet artistic director and choreographer George] Balanchine said, “If Mitchell doesn’t dance, New York City Ballet doesn’t dance.” There were parents of some of the girls in the company who were upset about my dancing with their daughters, and Balanchine said, “Then take them out of the company.” So I danced in every ballet, in Swan Lake, in Nutcracker—everything. There weren’t roles that were consigned for black dancers. There were just roles for a dancer."

980x.jpg

• Like 14

I saw him and his Company dance many years ago now a great  trailblazer and wonderful how Balanchine supported him back then ....just seems normal now ...so easy to forget how resilient and determined people like Arthur Mitchell must have been.

• Like 5

I was saddened to read this mess this morning. I admired Arthur Mitchell and all he accomplished. I will never forget being a super with DTH for a performance of Firebird during their tour of Atlanta in the early ‘90s. Thank you sir for creating a company that introduced me to the likes of Judy Tyrus, Tai Jimenez, Endalyn Shellman-Taylor, Stephanie Dabney, Donald Williams, Charmaine Hunter and others. I also recall seeing the original DTH in a performance of the majestic Dougla (not a classical ballet piece) that I think is imprinted on my being somehow.

Rest in peace

• Like 4

A lovely and dignified man, who had to put up with a lot of crap to be able to show the world what a special and talented artist he was.  I am so glad that, with the help of people like Balanchine, he was able to rise above the nastiness and let his art speak for itself.  He has left a wonderful legacy, both in DTH and the memory of very special dancer.

• Like 5