This was the programme on Thursday 28th June:

Larina Waltz - Ashley Page (Upper School 3rd Years)

Sea Interludes - Andrew McNicol (Upper School 1st Years) -  new work

Self and Soul - Robert Binet (Upper School 3rd Year)

Napoli - Act III Pas de Six and Tarantella - August Bournonville (White Lodge Years 10 and 11, Upper School 1st Years)

Bach, Multiplicity Forms of Silence and Emptiness - Excerpts - Nacho Duato (Upper School 2nd and 3rd Years)

Aurora's Wedding - after Marius Petipa * (Upper School 1st, 2nd and 3rd Years; and White Lodge Year 8 for Little Red Riding Hood and The Wolf)

* Just in case anyone doesn't know, this is the SB Prologue Fairy sequence combined with a version of SB Act 3. However, the principal couple's pdd coda was replaced a Russian dance by three men. The staging was by Anthony Dowell, no less.

Although I have the outline programme for the other 3 shows, I wasn't able to attend these so I think that it's best if others post the details here (just in case I get it wrong).

I was extremely impressed with what I saw. The dancers who shone the very brightest for me were: Daichi Ikarashi and James Large (both now 1st Year Upper School but familiar faces from their White Lodge days), Marianna Tsembenhoi (also 1st Year US) and graduates Amelia Townsend, Yuki Sugiura and Yu Hang.

• Like 7

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A pas de trois for three men using the music for the Act III coda for Aurora and her prince has a long history in RB stagings of The Sleeping Beauty as well as performances of Aurora's Wedding. The latter is a compilation of some of the choreographic highlights from the full length  ballet which was staged by the Diaghilev company after Stoll seized the sets and costumes of The Sleeping Princess for unpaid debts.

When Diaghilev staged  The Sleeping Princess in London in 1921 it was not a straight staging of the text we are accustomed to seeing. The London audience was used to seeing programmes made up of one act ballets and  Diaghilev thought that action was required to maintain the audience's interest in what was being danced. He employed  Nijinska to create new choreography for the production including  dances for characters who did not appear in the ballet as originally staged in St Petersburg these  included  "The Porcelain Princess" and "The Three Ivans". This Russian dance for three men was an integral part of the RB's stagings of the Sleeping Beauty for years. It does not seem to have been  part of the text danced in the first years of Peter Wright's production but it was restored to the text for its 1972 revival. It was not part of the MacMillan 1973 staging. It was restored by de Valois in her  1977 production along with several pas from earlier company stagings. It was dropped during the life of the 1977 production and has not been seen in subsequent RB staging of the ballet. It represented , in part at least, a connection with the Diaghilev staging of what become the RB's signature ballet. May I ask did the school dance the standard text for the fifth fairy (Golden Vine) variation or a rather strange , somewhat exaggerated, if not bizarre version of it?

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, FLOSS said:

. May I ask did the school dance the standard text for the fifth fairy (Golden Vine) variation or a rather strange , somewhat exaggerated, if not bizarre version of it?

Sorry - no idea, FLOSS. It looked much the same to me as the version danced recently by ENB. But I'm no expert!

Thank you for your explanations - very interesting.

I thought the Golden Vine was generally as I'd seen it before.  My first ever viewing - that I can remember - of the Three Ivans: I now understand how Alexander Grant et al managed to dash back from performing something at Sadler's Wells in time to dance it at the ROH!  I hadn't realised it came so late in the programme.

Thank you, capybara, for anticipating me and giving the breakdown according to years.  I didn't have the programme to go by.

Just a note to say - and I think I mentioned it elsewhere on the forum last week - the RBS will be returning to Holland Park next year even though the Linbury will no longer be out of commission.  Like the RBS ROH matinee and the whole Opera Holland Park season, it all jumps "back a week" next year, with performances from 4th-6th July.

(Source: marketing material in this year's OHP opera programmes.)

• Like 2

Of the dancers I was able to identify on Saturday, I too was particularly taken by James Large and (I think) Daichi Ikarashi.  I didn't get to see much of Marianna Tsembenhoi.  There were some very good fairy variations, though.

Incidentally, could someone tell me who danced Aurora and Florimund, and Bluebird and Florine on Thursday, please?  On Saturday it was Katharina Nikelski and Dingkai Bai, and Yu Kurihara and Taisuke Nakao, respectively.

I didn't get to see some of the names I've seen mentioned most frequently - I hope they were off doing Swan Lake (if I have my tour dates right) rather than injured?

18 minutes ago, alison said:

Incidentally, could someone tell me who danced Aurora and Florimund, and Bluebird and Florine on Thursday, please?  On Saturday it was Katharina Nikelski and Dingkai Bai, and Yu Kurihara and Taisuke Nakao, respectively.

Thursday cast for these roles was:

Aurora: Yu Hang

Florimund: Harrison Lee

Florine: Amelia Townsend

Bluebird: ....can somebody else please fill this gap in as this is the name that escapes me and I don't have the list in front of me?

• Like 1

I was rather disappointed to see Harrison Lee's main "featured" role (that is, other than the Larina Waltz which I think he appeared in if memory serves) being Florimund.  I mean, I know it's the male lead, so perhaps it's a "mustn't grumble" situation.  But that style of classical ballet is just so much more interesting to watch the women in than the men... I mean his variation was FINE.  And he put out a good solid partnering-arm for Yu Hang's fish-dives.  But having seen him in the last two years' shows I wish they'd given him something a bit more lively!

Forgot to say anything else about the performance; I absolutely loved Multiplicity and now want to see all of it.  I see the Mikhailovsky have performed it in London, so hope they may do so again...

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, alison said:

Thanks.  I don't think Harrison Lee or Yu Hang performed at all on Saturday.

Yu Hang danced as one of the claves in "Bach, Multiplicity forms of silence and emptiness - Excerpts"

Harrison Lee didn't dance.

6 hours ago, RuthE said:

Thursday cast for these roles was:

Aurora: Yu Hang

Florimund: Harrison Lee

Florine: Amelia Townsend

Bluebird: ....can somebody else please fill this gap in as this is the name that escapes me and I don't have the list in front of me?

Taisuke Nakao was the Bluebird.

On 02/07/2018 at 10:26, RuthE said:

Just a note to say - and I think I mentioned it elsewhere on the forum last week - the RBS will be returning to Holland Park next year even though the Linbury will no longer be out of commission.  Like the RBS ROH matinee and the whole Opera Holland Park season, it all jumps "back a week" next year, with performances from 4th-6th July.

(Source: marketing material in this year's OHP opera programmes.)

Thanks RuthE. Good that we already know the dates and location.  I'm interested in people's impressions of OHP. Two years ago, I was really looking forward to the return to Linbury - I kept on getting lost trying to find the OHP within the park, and it was quite cold during some of the performances.  And squeezing into the tiny loos wasn't much fun. This year, with the good weather, it was a really great experience and the bigger loos were much appreciated! A pity there were still hardly any directions to OHP within the park, but I finally realised that you don't need to go along winding paths...Just walk straight down Holland Way for around 10 mins, til you see the white tents and crowds.

I caught that piece ..Multiplicity forms of silence and emptiness ...at the Mikhailovsky Theatre ( such a gorgeous place) in St Petersburg when I was there last year and loved it. Do they keep some of the pieces they do at Holland Park for the main stage at ROH performance does anybody know? Would love to see this again on Sunday!!

• Like 1

Looking forward to Sunday as my ex pupil is coming with me. He is director of Zama dance school in Cape Town and I am so proud of him. Really looking forward to seeing all the young dancers who will give us so much joy in the future.

• Like 5

16 hours ago, LinMM said:

I caught that piece ..Multiplicity forms of silence and emptiness ...at the Mikhailovsky Theatre ( such a gorgeous place) in St Petersburg when I was there last year and loved it. Do they keep some of the pieces they do at Holland Park for the main stage at ROH performance does anybody know? Would love to see this again on Sunday!!

I am going to the dress rehearsal tomorrow so I assume I can tell the programme, it’s not a secret is it?

Shouldn't think so but just don't happen to know what the students are doing for the main stage performance on Sunday!!

Perhaps it's on the RBS website.

Will look out for you Jillikins!

Edited by LinMM
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, LinMM said:

Shouldn't think so but just don't happen to know what the students are doing for the main stage performance on Sunday!!

Perhaps it's on the RBS website.

Will look out for you Jillikins!

It is only a guess but I would think Aurora’s Wedding,  it involves a large number of dancers and some big numbers.

Oh I do hope so .....my Sydney friends have already asked me for an update on Harrison! And Yu Hang looked to already be an amazing dancer two years ago!! Hope they're both dancing 😊

I will be in Stalls circle left B 28 and pleased if I bump into any forum friends. I am fairly recognisable due to wheelchair. Thank you all for information about programme and dancers to look out for. The forum, dancing and support of access scheme and box office means so much for me. 

• Like 2

I'm in the stalls tomorrow right down in the front row!! Have never sat down there ( or hardly ever in the stalls) before ...sadly may miss those lovely pointed feet of the RBS students but will be nice to see their faces so close up...may not even have to wear my glasses!! 

Just back from dress rehearsal and Aurora Wedding is Thursday’s casting, Harrison and Lu dancing. No spoilers from me but it was very, very hard not applauding, strict instructions not to.

• Like 1

Just trying to pack and watch the football at the same time!

Have decided to go up today as apparently severe disruption on the Brighton Line tomorrow with a part bus service and possibly crowds going up for some event with a warning they may not be able to provide enough buses in time!!

Just didn't want to risk it so am going up later this evening.....now back to the football....or should it be the packing!!