Directors of UK Ballet Companies - Pay Differential - Update

I previously reported to this Forum here about Directors of Ballet Companies – Pay Differential.

http://www.balletcoforum.com/topic/15932-directors-of-uk-ballet-companies-pay-differential/

Four of the UK’s major ballet companies have just reported their results for the year to 31 March 2017.  The Royal Opera House works to a year-end of 28 August, so their results for 2017 are not due to be published until June 2018.

We can now see the latest remuneration of four of the five major ballet directors and assess their pay increases between 2015-16 and 2016-17. 

The financial statements show that Tamara Rojo at English National Ballet had the biggest increase, jumping two bands (a pay rise of approx. £20,000), possibly representing between 8% and 9%.  In 2016-17, her remuneration was between £250,000 and £259,999.

It is understood that the ENB dancers received a pay rise of 2% last year.  Rojo’s total emoluments would appear to be close to those of Alex Beard, the Chief Executive of the Royal Opera House, responsible for opera and ballet.

The most recent accounts for the English National Ballet School (31 July 2016) show that the three directors (Cordelia Barker, Samira Saida and Tamara Rojo) drew £125,775 between them.  As no employees had emoluments in excess of £60,000, Rojo must have drawn at least £5,000 from ENB School.

David Bintley at Birmingham Royal Ballet continues to be remunerated between £130,000 and £140,000, as last year.  David Nixon at Northern Ballet continues to be remunerated between £90,000 and £100,000, as last year.

Christopher Hampson at Scottish Ballet has moved up one band from last year and is now remunerated between £100,000 and £110,000.

Kevin O’Hare at the Royal Ballet had emoluments of £183,423 for the year ended 28 August 2016 (as previously reported).

It is also instructive to look at the salaries of the Chief Executive Officers and the differential from the Artistic Director.

English National Ballet

Director – Tamara Rojo - £250,000 to £259,000

Chief Executive – Patrick Harrison - £80,000 to £89,000

This is pro-rata for nine months, which suggests that Patrick Harrison’s remuneration falls within the £100,000 to £110,000 band.

Birmingham Royal Ballet

Director - David Bintley - £130,000 to £140,000

Chief Executive - Jan Teo - £110,000 to £120,000

Northern Ballet

Artistic Director – David Nixon - £90,001 to £100,000

Chief Executive – Mark Skipper – £90,001 to £100,000

Scottish Ballet

Artistic Director – Christopher Hampson - £100,000 to £110,000

Executive Director – Steven Roth - £70,000 to £80,000

Royal Ballet

Artistic Director – Kevin O’Hare - £183,423

Alex Beard – Chief Executive of the Royal Opera House - £260,139

Sally O’Neill – Chief Operating Officer of the Royal Opera House - £187,262.

The financial year 2017-18 is almost ended, but we must wait until January 2019, to find out what they earned in the current year.

image.png

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, MAX said:

does someone know what a corps de ballet dancer gets at english national ballet ? 

Or at any of the companies? Is there a standard salary or does each dancer negotiate a separate contract?

That is interesting. I do remember from watching "Agony and Ecstasy" that Equity represented the dancers.  

One thing to remember is that more and more British companies are mainly (or only) offering graduate apprenticeships on schemes such as RB's Aud Jebsen Young Dancers.  One assumes that these apprentices receive lower pay than those on a full contract? 

ENB's AD Tamara Rojo's salary is a quarter of a million pounds???? 

Far above Kevin O'Hare, Director of The Royal Ballet and David Bintley, Director of Birmingham Royal Ballet, and close to the CEO of the ROH Alex  Beard (just catching my breath here).

Who pays her salary? I mean where is that kind of money coming from? The Tax payer? The Arts Council? Who funds their salary?

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, bridiem said:

Thanks Ellie, that's very interesting. I had assumed that each company had their own pay scales.

I think that the figure quoted is the minimum starting point. I sense that  dancers who are First Artists, Soloists and First Soloists in the individual companies are on very different rates of pay. The salaries of Principals are usually 'negotiable'.

6 minutes ago, Nina G. said:

Far above Kevin O'Hare, Director of The Royal Ballet and David Bintley, Director of Birmingham Royal Ballet, and close to the CEO of the ROH Alex  Beard (just catching my breath here).

It was noted in a discussion on here last summer that Rojo is also a Lead Principal dancer. However, Bintley is also a choreographer. 

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Nina G. said:

Who pays her salary? I mean where is that kind of money coming from? The Tax payer? The Arts Council? Who funds their salary?

Exactly. And I think I read that the wages the ENB dancers receive is not very high...

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, capybara said:

I think that the figure quoted is the minimum starting point. I sense that  dancers who are First Artists, Soloists and First Soloists in the individual companies are on very different rates of pay. The salaries of Principals are usually 'negotiable'.

It was noted in a discussion on here last summer that Rojo is also a Lead Principal dancer. However, Bintley is also a choreographer. 

I don't know but I suspect new works would be negotiated separately and I assume TR's salary includes remuneration for her performances.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, li tai po said:

English National Ballet is subject to a funding agreement with the Arts Council of Great Britain and is also a registered charity.  Its primary sources of income are from the taxpayer, charitable donations and box office income.

Yes but, on the cast sheets, many Principals are now shown as being supported by the Aud Jebsen International Talent Programme.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, li tai po said:

English National Ballet is subject to a funding agreement with the Arts Council of Great Britain and is also a registered charity.  Its primary sources of income are from the taxpayer, charitable donations and box office income.

Do I have to remind you again (as I did last time you raised this subject) that ENB has a board of trustees, who have legal responsibilities as to how a charity is run?  I’m sure they are aware of them.

And, as i said last time too, a jump of two salary bands is not necessarily a pay-rise of £20,000; one can jump two bands with a difference of £10,002.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, capybara said:

Yes but, on the cast sheets, many Principals are now shown as being supported by the Aud Jebsen International Talent Programme.

IIRC Aud Jebsen  stuff is related to  the Jebsen family   who iirc are Anglo-Norwegian Shipping company  owners ...   I would  suggest  that  this funding is probably covered by  the  the classification  of ' income from charitable donations'   in that the Jebsen family / companies make  these  payments  as a 'charitable'  donation to offset again  personal income tax  or company  corporation taxes ...

52 minutes ago, Nicola H said:

in that the Jebsen family / companies make  these  payments  as a 'charitable'  donation to offset again  personal income tax  or company  corporation taxes ...

Or in Aud Jebsen's case, that perhaps she has a very philanthropic streak.  Please don't suggest things if you don't know whether or not they're true.

• Like 10

43 minutes ago, bangorballetboy said:

Or in Aud Jebsen's case, that perhaps she has a very philanthropic streak.  Please don't suggest things if you don't know whether or not they're true.

you  appear to have missed the point  with regard to the  nature of the  payments   and how they  are accounted for in terms of the  income to  recipient  organisation 

50 minutes ago, Nicola H said:

you  appear to have missed the point  with regard to the  nature of the  payments   and how they  are accounted for in terms of the  income to  recipient  organisation 

I haven't missed any point and I know exactly how charitable donations work and are accounted for, thank you very much.  You suggest that the reason the donations are made is for tax planning reasons.  I'm countering that (with obviously a little more knowledge of Mrs. Jebsen's situation) by saying the donations may be made altruistically and not solely for the reasons you suggest.

• Like 14