Knee injury

stardancer

Thank you pointetoes,for your kindness, and firebird,for saying I am a wonderful mum,at times I have felt so sad and guilty, that my dd,has seen and felt so much,that has been unnecessary, and as a mum I could not protect her from this,but she tells me she will come out of this stronger 

I am so proud to call her my daughter. 

• Like 3

Oh my goodness what a tough time you've had - but I'm pleased to hear that hopefully there will be a positive outcome and to hear your DD being positive is wonderful. You were right to trust your instinct and I wish you both all the very best!

• Like 3

• alison changed the title to Knee injury
  • 1 month later...

Hi everyone 

My dd has had her operation on Wednesday and is home with a very large bandage around her knee.

The orthopaedic surgeon said it was a tricky operation to go behind the knee cap,but he is positive, for a full recovery, with lots of physio.

He said my dd was an inspiration to all,so brave and positive, and even mum deserves a big hug,we have been very lucky to have found such a caring orthopaedic surgeon,it comes to something when your surgeon, would love to be there on your first ballet performance than your own ballet teacher. 

Time to go my dds bell for service has gone off,florence nightingale here I comexxxx

• Like 10

Best wishes for you dd’s speedy recovery. I have a friend with an injured Dd and it has made me realise how finding the best person to treat a problem can make such a difference. 

So pleased surgery went well and I hope the road to recovery goes well. A truly awful situation you were in and a lesson for all dc to appreciate every day as a dancer as we never know whats around the corner. Dont forget mums need rest too and some emotional tlc x 

@stardancer - many apologies for stealing this thread but I thought there would be some overlap.  Just got back from seeing Orthopaedic surgeon. ..DD has suspected torn meniscus.  Anybody have experience of this?  She has to have MRI to confirm next week.  To say she's devastated is an understatement.  She's just got into EYB - casting next month. Help! Any advice gratefully accepted.  Is this the same as your DD @stardancer?

Edited by hoglett
Spelling

Hi my lovely 

My thoughts are with you both at what is a frustrating and sad time,but the good news is you have seen an orthopaedic surgeon quickly we waited a year before our fantastic surgeon came along,my dd,had a extremely damaged cartlidge and her knee came off the socket,a problem hard to treat,caused by the floor which is in badly need of repair.

But the good news is her orthopaedic surgeon said,if if was menicus tear it would be easily sorted by physio or a quick operation recovery short and excellent, infact her sports therapist had this done,and his knee is better than before more stronger.

If you need any more support please message me,and let me no how the mri goes for your dd. 

12 minutes ago, stardancer said:

Hi my lovely 

My thoughts are with you both at what is a frustrating and sad time,but the good news is you have seen an orthopaedic surgeon quickly we waited a year before our fantastic surgeon came along,my dd,had a extremely damaged cartlidge and her knee came off the socket,a problem hard to treat,caused by the floor which is in badly need of repair.

But the good news is her orthopaedic surgeon said,if if was menicus tear it would be easily sorted by physio or a quick operation recovery short and excellent, infact her sports therapist had this done,and his knee is better than before more stronger.

If you need any more support please message me,and let me no how the mri goes for your dd. 

Thank you so much stardancer,  that's so kind of you.  I know you know exactly what we're going through and appreciate we're actually in a more fortunate position.  Hope your DD recovery is still heading in the right direction.  Xx

Oh dear stardancer I have only just caught up with this thread and it sounds as if you have had a dreadful time. I hope your DDs recovery is progressing well.

I thought it might be worth noting re Hogletts post my DS recently had his knee assessed as he has had on and off knee pain for a few months. Luckily for him the Bolshoi has a clinic where he went and got an immediate MRI which identified a small tear in the cartilage - he was advised this will repair itself fairly quickly given a bit of rest and following use of a knee brace in rehearsal so far it hasn't given him any more trouble. I mention it because he said what he had been concerned about was the possibility of a meniscus tear which he said would mean immediate surgical repair (and he is very much NOT keen on being off work at all in this crucial first year). I know nothing about dancing or dance related injury so can only assume his assumption comes from knowledge of what happens at the Bolshoi or amongst dancers he has asked.

Just thought this little snippet would be of interest. Good luck to both your DDs for a speedy resolution

x

On 17/05/2018 at 21:28, hoglett said:

@stardancer - many apologies for stealing this thread but I thought there would be some overlap.  Just got back from seeing Orthopaedic surgeon. ..DD has suspected torn meniscus.  Anybody have experience of this?  She has to have MRI to confirm next week.  To say she's devastated is an understatement.  She's just got into EYB - casting next month. Help! Any advice gratefully accepted.  Is this the same as your DD @stardancer?

Hi Hoglett, These days meniscus injuries, especially in young and fit people, do heal themselves although quadriceps and glute strengthening exercises will most likely be in order to help to offload the joint. Surgery used to be the go-to treatment for these, and still is in urgent cases, but it's considered better to take time to strengthen the affected area and let the body do it's own thing. Surgery may be discussed if the knee is locking. 

41 minutes ago, CeliB said:

I guess maybe then someone already in a company would be considered urgent? Or maybe it's just a country specific approach... 

Hopefully it's a person specific approach, but I guess there will be variation in practice from country to country. I'm no expert, but I spend quite a lot of  time in the company of orthopaedic surgeons so I do pick up some knowledge about their side of things. The decision whether to operate on this kind of injury will depend on a range of things including the size, shape and  location of the tear, as well as other patient specific factors. As Dr Dance has said, the trend is definitely  away from immediate surgery and in favour of a more conservative approach for most people. Surgery can give great, fast symptom relief but in the longer term it can cause more trouble with wear and tear in the joint due to loss of the "shock absorbing" properties of the cartilage. Though it may be very frustrating in the short term, waiting for natural healing and keeping the menisci intact is more likely to promote long term knee health in most circumstances. Of course there are always exceptions, and sometimes immediate surgery IS the right thing, but personally I would seek several opinions before agreeing to surgery for this type of injury.

Thank you for your kind wishes, sending wishes to your lovely ds,who seems well looked after and cared for,I have found with my dd,that being a famous footballer or maybe rugby player or even darcy bussell an operation is probably,very quick,but having said that I do agree with physio and sports therapy first,but in my dds situation twelve months is far too long,even the surgeon said if he had seen us first it would of been three months then surgery, but it was a private hospital, as the NHS said there was nothing wrong, and will fix itself if we stop going on about it. 

Being with the best professionals from.the start, can give you a better chance, if you are lucky to find them.

• Like 1

Sorry to get tennis-y again, but wasn't a meniscus tear what Roger Federer had knee surgery on in early 2016?  One year later, he started a run of winning 3 Grand Slam tournaments within the space of just over a year :)

• 2 weeks later...