Royal Opera House shop

A propos of the new carpet in the Amphi bar, I'd say it was more Caca d'Oie than puke green. I think that the bits coming off are simply because it's new and will probably settle down after some use and hoovering. However, if this really is going to be a permanent fixture, it will be interesting to see how the carpet looks after a few spillages of red wine, coffee, and bits of assorted snacks.

I mentioned it at the time: the "Olympic Symbol etc (Protection) Act 1995". Brilliant, isn't it? Wonder if it was done in relation to a prior Olympic bid, given the date. And I'm pretty certain you can pretty much trademark any words you like, even a list of three comparative adjectives (I think they're adjectives rather than adverbs, aren't they?) provided you issue sufficient disclaimers keeping the use of them individually available to all.

Ā 

This reminds me of a film by Bryan Forbes back in the 70s. It was a musical version of Cinderella but he was banned from using the name as Disney own the trademark! Luckily choreographers are more reasonable or we'd only ever see one version of the ballet.

Last night the Floral Hall was being stripped of its fixtures and fittings before the audience had even left the building. A deep carpet in an unattractive puke-green colour has made an appearance in the amphi bar and corridor, not very good quality as bits were coming off all over it. Wonder who foots the bill for all this?

Ā 

I asked an usher about the carpet. According to him it's just there for the Olympics and will be taken up again afterwards. I can't imagine why they would need a different carpet during the Olympic period.

on a par I should imagine

Though I was hoping to get a Dancing Times over the summer, as there is an interview in there I was hoping to read (think its the August issue - or the one that comes out in August, not sure which). Anywhere recommended to find a copy?

Ā 

The Dancing Times just informed me that, because of the temporary closure of the ROH shop, they're selling copies direct without charging postage.

Here's their number: 020 7250 3006

• 3 years later...

I noticed the other day that the ROH Shop currently has a sale on, with 25% off all merchandise.

Ā 

More worryingly, they appear to have stopped selling dance (and opera and music magazines).Ā  Where the heck are we supposed to get them from now?Ā  Freed's doesn't tend to be open when I'm in town, and I don't fancy traipsing up to Sadler's Wells (although they only sell them when there's a performance on anyway, don't they?).

I understand that the ROH Shop is due to be closed shortly and that it will remain closed for over two years. Ā Presumably it will reopen in a new location once the building works are complete..

Ā 

Ā 

Edited to add that, if I understood them correctly, Ā the outlet in the Floral Hall will remain open during this time. Ā Presumably this will just be when a performance is scheduled in the main auditorium.

Edited by Bluebird

I understand that the ROH Shop is due to be closed shortly and that it will remain closed for over two years. Ā Presumably it will reopen in a new location once the building works are complete..

Ā 

Oh dear, that is bad news.Ā  Yet they're advertising a souvenir shop in the autumn booking brochure - I'd assumed it was the space below the "Globe ballerina"

I noticed the other day that the ROH Shop currently has a sale on, with 25% off all merchandise.

Ā 

More worryingly, they appear to have stopped selling dance (and opera and music magazines).Ā  Where the heck are we supposed to get them from now?Ā  Freed's doesn't tend to be open when I'm in town, and I don't fancy traipsing up to Sadler's Wells (although they only sell them when there's a performance on anyway, don't they?).

If you're a regular customer could you get an annual subscription ? Or ask a local newsagent to order certain magazines for you ( I do this and am very lucky that they inform me when the latest edition has arrived - but at the same time am under no obligation to buy) ? Obviously it's not the same as being able to have a browse and pick and choose....

Ā 

I know that Dance Europe do a digital edition if that's of any interest.

Ā 

Sorry for so many edits, but have just been on Dance Europe website and you can also buy single editions in print - no need for subscription.

Edited by Ellie

If you're a regular customer could you get an annual subscription ?

Ā 

Unfortunately I'm not: I only buy it as and when there's enough of interest in it for me.

Ā 

The Dancing Times is available from at least some W.H. Smiths. I bought last months in Preston.

Ā 

Yes, but it's very patchy.Ā  My local one doesn't stock it, which means a special trip to somewhere else before it's run out of stock, which can happen pretty early in the month.

Yes the ROH shop is closing for 2.5years. Everything 25% off. Magazines from Freed who are stocking extra copies for the duration. Pity they're a bit of a hike from ROH. The new gift shop under the Ballerina globe is lovely with some nice things for sale just a pity they don't have the magazines.

Unfortunately I'm not: I only buy it as and when there's enough of interest in it for me.

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Yes, but it's very patchy.Ā  My local one doesn't stock it, which means a special trip to somewhere else before it's run out of stock, which can happen pretty early in the month.

Dancia in Drury Lane also sells Dancing Times. If I remember rightly its opening hours are longer than Freed.

Yes the ROH shop is closing for 2.5years. Everything 25% off. Magazines from Freed who are stocking extra copies for the duration. Pity they're a bit of a hike from ROH. The new gift shop under the Ballerina globe is lovely with some nice things for sale just a pity they don't have the magazines.

I do hope that when they reopen, they bring back the production posters. My daughter used to buy a poster each time she saw a ballet at the ROH but never managed to get a Manon, Giselle or Sleeping Beauty one as they gradually did away with them.

• Like 1

I thought the renovations would only take 18 months and be ready for the start of the 2017/18 season.

Ā 

Dance Europe will also be on sale at Sansha, Newsmart and Drury News in Drury Lane,Ā Patel in the Strand, Kipps in Endell Street and Shopper's News in Marchmont Street.

• Like 2

Dance Europe will also be on sale at Sansha, Newsmart and Drury News in Drury Lane,Ā Patel in the Strand, Kipps in Endell Street and Shopper's News in Marchmont Street.

Ā 

Wow, thank you for that, Beryl.Ā  Hopefully those wilĀ  have longer opening hours than Freed's, which won't be terribly helpful for anyone just coming in for a performance.Ā  Perhaps the same could be done for Dancing Times.Ā  The opera side of things is rather less vital, since they are far more widely available.

Ā 

(I have no idea which any of those shops are, but it'll probably turn out that some of them are the ones I used to buy my newspaper from when I used to work nearby!).

• Like 2

E-mail received today says the ROH Shop will close on 10th October, andĀ that a retail space will be available on the Amphi level selling recordings and books relating to the performances as well as the pop-up shop in the Floral Hall, 40% discount available now on everything except recordings which are still 25%.Ā  Bit sad really, at least it was somewhere to wander into.

• Like 1

Most of the best stuff was indeed gone - I was hoping to get a book or two. But the good news was that it's now 50% off recordings as well. I picked up six blu rays and a Fonteyn/Nureyev tea tray to put my glass of wine on when I'm watching themĀ  :).

• Like 2