Grade appropriate?

Babyballerina

Our litle girl is 9 years old

sheis grade 2 RAD at the moment.  Is this age appropriate?  She has been doing the same grade since last October. Her ballet teacher has said she is more than capable of taking the grade now and moving on up but she has to wait until the rest of the class is up to speed with the work.  I  may be October/November before they are ready!!  My little one is already getting bored of doing the same thing at every class.  Advice greatly appreciated.  She is an RBS JA. I have contacted other schools in the area and they were looking at starting her in grade 3 and do exams twice yearly if the student is capable.  Where she is at the moment is very small the schools I have spoken to are larger so will be able to accomodate this. Thank you in advance.

Hi babyballerina, on the whole I wouldn't get too worried about age and which grade they are in as the current school have done enough to get her into JAS.

However, if she is bored it's a problem and waiting a long time for the rest of the class may not be appropriate. You could ask the teacher if she could do the grade 3 class as well in parallel.

If not or no other solution is offered I would consider moving. Personally I would ask to watch a class to get a feeling for the new school.

Looking to the future it would be useful to ask how many classes are available as your dd gets older as it can be difficult to get the necessary hours as they move up the grades. I would also check that the new school has Associates as a sign of their ambition for their pupils. But most of all rely on your gut feeling. Good luck!!

• Like 2

Thanks for replying.  It wasn't her current school that got her in JAS it was another teacher who sadly moved away.  I have spoken to her current teacher and she says that she cannot do the grade 3 class but she can do the grade 1 class for extra strength training.  I did approach her as well about stepping up her classical training in year 5, which is what the RBS JA teacher has recommended we do, but was told that this won't be necessary.  Its not so much the grade its the waiting around for her peers to catch up.  If we stay at the current school then she will have to stay with her peers throughout.  I'm not sure that this will benefit her, she has such a passion for ballet and just don't want the waiting around to affect this passion.

• Like 1

Whilst Grade 2 is an entirely appropriate grade for a 9 year old if the teacher says she is more than ready for the exam then I fail to understand why she cannot move up into Grade 3 & skip Grade 2 completely if the only reason she can't do the exam this time is lack of other potential candidates.

If your daughter is getting bored that will be detrimental both to her progress & her enjoyment of dance. I would seriously consider a move. If the teacher is this inflexible now then what will she be like in the future?

It would be entirely different if the teacher said she wasn't ready yet.

• Like 3

DD skipped her grade 2 exam and went straight into grade 3 instead. You don't have to do all the grades (or indeed any grades). If the teacher knows she is ready to take her exam and is bored and yet won't offer to move her up/at least allow her to take grade 3 classes as well, then I would look at moving her to another school, especially as the teacher also appears to be contradicting the JA teacher in terms of extra classes etc.

Perhaps ask the JA teacher for a recommendation of an alternative school and definitely go to watch classes at any possibles.

And don't feel you are being a pushy ballet mum! The teacher agrees your child is ready to take the exam but won't allow her to do so or to take grade 3 classes alongside the grade 2. With a talented child who is also a RBS JA, she will be bored and you don't want that to impact upon her love of dancing.

• Like 3

Sometimes the repetition and hard work to really perfect may be a bit boring but imo a good teacher would not just be doing exactly the same syllabus exercises each week and will introduce other work/ music etc to keep the interest up. The lower grades are a bit boring, did the teacher give a reason why she can't go up or do a higher class in addition?

Thanks everyone.  My DD isn't sure what she wants to do, she loves the teacher she has now but is getting bored. "I'll do it if I have to" She shouldn't be saying things like that.  She's happy when she comes out of class, its not that shes miserable going in, she's just fed up of the same old thing every class. It would be great if she could do the Grade 3 in parallel but the teacher won't go for it at all. The older girls don't want her dancing with them!! The teacher thinks I'm being 'pushy' and should just leave it to her.  she just can't see that she is bored.  Another little girl joined the class yesterday and they had to start the grade all over again so that she could catch up??? (She has been before but left 6 months ago)  I think it may be time to move on.

Edited by Babyballerina

I find it a bit odd that the teacher has suggested a grade below tbh. I don't know how much of a step up there is between grade 2&3 though. What are the other schools offering? Are they all rad schools? Have you watched a class? Personally I'd look for a school which offers more than one class for each grade or an additional non syllabus class. The other children in her class would likely be quite keen and committed if they're doing multiple classes and that may suit her better? Also, although bigger schools have some advantages some also have much bigger classes meaning less attention from the teacher

That seems like very little to offer a enthusiastic student with support at home. Our grade 2's are required to do two hours a week, and our crazy just-nine year old boy is doing a couple of grade one classes as well. (Which is good, to help address some weaknesses in basic technique.)

Also, since when do grade three's get to decide who's dancing in their class? I'd be inclined to look for alternatives. (And 45min classes really don't seem long enough for).

Edited by Colman
  • Like 3

The school that I have been to see is also a college and is now offering degree courses from september.  They have offered for my dd to do a junior ballet class for an hour as well as the elite juniors along side RAD 3 and private tutition if we want it.  They have also offered her a place on their associate programme.  The classes are small no more than 10 in a class.  

• Like 3

Thanks for replying.  It wasn't her current school that got her in JAS it was another teacher who sadly moved away.  I have spoken to her current teacher and she says that she cannot do the grade 3 class but she can do the grade 1 class for extra strength training.  I did approach her as well about stepping up her classical training in year 5, which is what the RBS JA teacher has recommended we do, but was told that this won't be necessary.  Its not so much the grade its the waiting around for her peers to catch up.  If we stay at the current school then she will have to stay with her peers throughout.  I'm not sure that this will benefit her, she has such a passion for ballet and just don't want the waiting around to affect this passion.

Hi, Just out of interest have you researched the marks that the students are awarded both at your DD's current dance school and the new one that you are looking at?. Taking longer to take an exam can show in the higher Marks awarded. As they say it isn't a race, any additional training at this age is no bad thing as it strengthens the girls ankles and improves their technique and prepares for the next grade up as it isn't just about knowledge of the syllabus but the strength and technique. These skills will come into their own as your DD progresses to the magic 11/12 years old and transitions on to Pointe.

I wish you well and I'm sure you will make the right decision for your DD, my youngest DD moved dance schools at a similar age, she was placed in age appropriate Grades but as she was the youngest in the academic year it was challenging for her and she gradually has proved herself slowly over the years and was then was asked by her teachers to attend additional classes with the year above as well as her own. I took a step back, so the move was decided upon by her teachers. The raff of teachers as a result of a parent approaching them regarding their child can be challenging especially when multiplied as there could be up to 200 pupils attending the one dance school. Which I'm sure you are not but there are plenty out there. The teachers can only take so much! 

It's also lovely for your DD to be top of one grade rather than joining another grade mid year and be at the bottom, does nothing for their confidence and self esteem. Any move is best timed when the new school has just taken exams and all pupils in the class are starting a new syllabus. 

Good Luck with whatever decision you and your DD makes.  :)

• Like 1

Thanks everyone. My DD isn't sure what she wants to do, she loves the teacher she has now but is getting bored. "I'll do it if I have to" She shouldn't be saying things like that. She's happy when she comes out of class, its not that shes miserable going in, she's just fed up of the same old thing every class. It would be great if she could do the Grade 3 in parallel but the teacher won't go for it at all. The older girls don't want her dancing with them!! The teacher thinks I'm being 'pushy' and should just leave it to her. she just can't see that she is bored. Another little girl joined the class yesterday and they had to start the grade all over again so that she could catch up??? (She has been before but left 6 months ago) I think it may be time to move on.

Interested to hear that "the older girls don't want her dancing with them" - who told you that? My daughter moved up to RAD Advanced 1 class at 14 when all the other girls in the class were 17 and 18. Not only were the older girls lovely and welcoming, but one of them became a firm friend and dd also kept in touch with the others when they went off to Uni. The only time anyone in that class got frustrated was when people were allowed to take the Advanced class who really should have been in Intermediate and couldn't keep up.

That does not sound as though it would happen if your daughter took Grade 3 class alongside Grade 2, so I can see no reason why older girls wouldn't want your daughter in class. If that's come direct from the Grade 3 girls then that's their issue. If it's come from the teacher, I'd be inclined to take it with a pinch of salt.

• Like 4

Hi, Just out of interest have you researched the marks that the students are awarded both at your DD's current dance school and the new one that you are looking at?. Taking longer to take an exam can show in the higher Marks awarded. As they say it isn't a race, any additional training at this age is no bad thing as it strengthens the girls ankles and improves their technique and prepares for the next grade up as it isn't just about knowledge of the syllabus but the strength and technique. These skills will come into their own as your DD progresses to the magic 11/12 years old and transitions on to Pointe.

I wish you well and I'm sure you will make the right decision for your DD, my youngest DD moved dance schools at a similar age, she was placed in age appropriate Grades but as she was the youngest in the academic year it was challenging for her and she gradually has proved herself slowly over the years and was then was asked by her teachers to attend additional classes with the year above as well as her own. I took a step back, so the move was decided upon by her teachers. The raff of teachers as a result of a parent approaching them regarding their child can be challenging especially when multiplied as there could be up to 200 pupils attending the one dance school. Which I'm sure you are not but there are plenty out there. The teachers can only take so much! 

It's also lovely for your DD to be top of one grade rather than joining another grade mid year and be at the bottom, does nothing for their confidence and self esteem. Any move is best timed when the new school has just taken exams and all pupils in the class are starting a new syllabus. 

Good Luck with whatever decision you and your DD makes.  :)

I agree with much of this but I don't like a policy that says all children of the same age must take the exam at the same time - especially if the class "starts again" from the beginning of the syllabus when someone new joins. Much better if pupils can take the exam when they are ready, even if this means entering individuals. In a part-time school you will always have those who love dance as a once-a-week hobby, alongside those with the talent and desire to try to make a career. It's not fair to either end of the spectrum to rush a class into a yearly exam slot, or conversely, hold the whole class back.

• Like 4

Moomin the classes are invitation only from the teachers, those who are showing that they may want to train at vocational level in the future.  The associaate programme is audition only.   Thank you all for the advice.  My DD is torn as she loves the teacher she is dancing with but is bored.  She showed me some of the work they were doing in class last night and said I did this in September in JAs!  I'm not so bothered about the grade or taking exams its the fact she is doing the same thing week in week out.  She has such a passion I want that to continue to flourish.  The school is very small and is evenings and saturdays only.  I asked if the teacher would consider doing private tutition with my DD but she has refused as she doesnt have time (she is the sole teacher)  Some of the older girls did their exams last week, so why couldnt my dd do her grade and then move on??  My answer was she needs to stay with her cohort.

• Like 1

Anna C I have only approached her dance teacher regarding payment for exams, asking how expensive they are and when she will be doing them, just so that i can put some money aside for them.  She immediately thought I was questioning her, I did explain that I wasn't.  I have 3 other children and need to budget money for dance fees, exams, etc as the other children also have activities.  She just said that it will be later in the year, i explained that i thought it was sooner as there were exams being taken by other children that when she said my dd would stay with her cohort.  I didn't feel I was being pushy just asking a question but obviously she thought I was.  I had spoken to her before about the children in her class being mean to my dd, calling her a show off etc ( all the girls in the class go to the same school and are the same year group) she was quite annoyed with me and said she'd spoken to the girls and she believed them when they said they hadn't been mean to my DD  (also said this to my DD that she believed the other girls!!)  She said that it was obvious that my dd wanted to dance with the older girls but that the older girls didn't want her to dance with them.  She was under the impression that she had made it up so she could go up to higher grade with the older girls.  I can understand the teachers do get annoyed if parents are constantly complaining. It would drive me mad.!!!

• Like 1

My dd is 7 nearly 8 and has just started grade 2. We moved dance schools last Sept as it was a small school and could only offer her 1, 45 min class a week and she wanted to do more. I asked the teacher several times were there any more options and she kept telling me she would sort something out. In the end i got fed up of waiting and found another school. My dd was upset at first and i felt guilty for moving her. She really missed her old teacher but now several months later she loves her new school and has made so many new friends. She would not go back and has so many more opportunities and is now doing an hour grade 2, an hour non syllabus and 30 mins PBT. She could do more but i think that is about right for her age along with the other activities she does. Sometimes you just have to move on.

• Like 3

Anna C I have only approached her dance teacher regarding payment for exams, asking how expensive they are and when she will be doing them, just so that i can put some money aside for them.  She immediately thought I was questioning her, I did explain that I wasn't.  I have 3 other children and need to budget money for dance fees, exams, etc as the other children also have activities.  She just said that it will be later in the year, i explained that i thought it was sooner as there were exams being taken by other children that when she said my dd would stay with her cohort.  I didn't feel I was being pushy just asking a question but obviously she thought I was.  I had spoken to her before about the children in her class being mean to my dd, calling her a show off etc ( all the girls in the class go to the same school and are the same year group) she was quite annoyed with me and said she'd spoken to the girls and she believed them when they said they hadn't been mean to my DD  (also said this to my DD that she believed the other girls!!)  She said that it was obvious that my dd wanted to dance with the older girls but that the older girls didn't want her to dance with them.  She was under the impression that she had made it up so she could go up to higher grade with the older girls.  I can understand the teachers do get annoyed if parents are constantly complaining. It would drive me mad.!!!

Hmm. I'd move if I were you.

Edited by hfbrew
  • Like 3

She's bored. The teacher won't allow her to move up and says she has to stay with her age cohort instead of being placed in a class according to ability. 

I agree with others, you need to move her.

(Speaking as someone who didn't move their dd for ages and wishes she'd done it a lot sooner!)

• Like 5

I agree with much of this but I don't like a policy that says all children of the same age must take the exam at the same time - especially if the class "starts again" from the beginning of the syllabus when someone new joins. Much better if pupils can take the exam when they are ready, even if this means entering individuals. In a part-time school you will always have those who love dance as a once-a-week hobby, alongside those with the talent and desire to try to make a career. It's not fair to either end of the spectrum to rush a class into a yearly exam slot, or conversely, hold the whole class back.

I appreciate your comments, however, a school or individual may not have the budget to fund solo entrants into exams. As well as the examiners attending a venue for just one candidate. There are logistics involved that have to be taken into consideration beyond the actual student concerned. 

• Like 1

To be honest I'm appalled at the teacher disbelieving your child and telling her so! - and that she is indicating that she will pander to the feelings of little girls in grade 3 rather than consider moving your DD, who is clearly talented as she is an RBS JA, up so that she doesn't continue to feel bored.

I would move her sooner rather than later. As you say, you don't want her to lose the passion for dance.

• Like 1

My DD has often danced with girls up to 4 years older than her, that was simply how the grades worked out. There has never been an issue, certainly once her concentration, self-effacing nature (never wanted to push herself to the front of the class, which I imagine did help ;)) and ability to keep up was seen. She has danced in those classes at her teachers' suggestion because they noted that she was getting bored and felt that she would benefit from being challenged - surely your DD's teacher can see, given that she has said she is ready to take her exam, that this is also the case for your DD. I can't agree that she should stay with her age group at all costs - what's good for one child isn't good for another.

• Like 1

Yeah, move her :)

We've been in dance schools that work by cohort or peer group and I'm sorry if this comment offends anyone but I've come to the conclusion it's just a lazy way of keeping pushy parents at bay and stopping the one-upmanship that can creep in between students. If the older students did genuinely say they didn't want her in there then that tells you something about the environment they are in and how even if she did move into that group, it might not be very friendly or supportive. If it's just the dance teacher saying it then that tells you something too that she doesn't want to challenge your child and is happy for her to coast with peer group.

At age 9 my dd was grade 3, also doing interfoundation which she absolutely loved so maybe that's an option for your dd if they do vocational grades?

She's 12 now and does grades above and below her actual grade just to get as much ballet as possible.

I don't understand why your dd couldn't go off and do the grade 3 exam at headquarters and have to wait for cohort instead for another 6 months. If it was just a month or two then fair enough but clearly she feels ready. The RAD syllabus is available online to view and it says the recommended hours also include practise hours (i.e.; at home) so there's usually a big difference between the amount students practise at home. All of this means that working by cohorts doesn't work.

But with all that said, maybe there's some other things you could look at too such as EYB (don't know how that would work time wise with RBS JA) or taking a contemporary class etc just to give a bit more of a challenge for her

Good luck ????

• Like 2

I didn't move school until I was 12 and wish I had of a lot younger. I am now much happier and am dancing with people years older than me who are my best friends. By moving sooner it stops there being too many connections however it takes a lot of courage to move dance schools and is a big desision. Good luck to you and your DD for the future