New boy in class

Plie22

One thing I've learned, that I never imagined, is the degree to which a class is a community. A 90-minute cult, if you will. And I think OMG A BLOKE!!! is really part of that.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hello everyone- Just a quick update from me, as I finally made it to another ballet class last night and I had the most wonderful time.

I've found a small class of just 3 other students in the next village from where I live taught by a really charismatic and supportive ex RAD teacher.

Needless to say, in the run up to the class yesterday afternoon I was super super nervous which lasted right up until I walked into the studio. As soon as I arrived both the teacher and the ladies in the class welcomed me and really made me feel at ease.

I overcame the "Ahhh, what do I wear dilemma" by wearing my Leo under a shorts and Tshirt along with my ballet shoes. Hopefully on a few weeks once I'm fully settled, I'll wear my proper dancewear!

It's obvious that in the years that I haven't danced, I've forgotten quite a lot- but hopefully plenty of practice and perseverance will enable me to get better with time.

It was lovely for the teacher to say how she loves having a boy in the class and the girls agreed, I just have to try my best to get up to speed with the rest of the class.

Huge thanks to you all for your support online, the ballet bug has well and truly bitten me again and I'm already excited for my next class!

A

Edited by Plie22
  • Like 13

Not quite the same thing, and hi-jacking this thread somewhat, but I just had my first (adult) tap lesson this evening. Boy it's hard and that's just the basics! I'm going to have to get some help from my daughter who has been doing tap for quite a few years.

• Like 9

Not quite the same thing, and hi-jacking this thread somewhat, but I just had my first (adult) tap lesson this evening. Boy it's hard and that's just the basics! I'm going to have to get some help from my daughter who has been doing tap for quite a few years.

Bravo, Aileen!

• Like 3

• 4 months later...

I wish I could help. I live in Lincoln.

Shame the OP doesn't . I attend  class in Lincoln and  staff and students have been lovely  to me. 

yes, teachers, get used to  addressing classes  as 'girls' or 'ladies' , same also happens in  certain female  heavy professions . 

end of the day   if someoen  comes to class and wants to learn it;s money in the till .

is there such as thing as the 'blue pound' in dance ...  much as we talk of the 'grey ' pound , the 'pink' pound and the 'rainbow'  pound or even the 'kink' pound   when it comes to certai ndemographices and their purchasing ... 

Hi everyone,

I already attend an adult class which is at intermediate foundation level with the most wonderful group of ladies who really seem to appreciate my presence and humour (without sounding cocky).

My existing teacher advised me to attend a local graded class, so this evening I went to a grade 8 RAD class just down the road which is super convenient after work.

I was a little nervous about joining this new class, so left my leotard at home and just wore shorts and a tshirt to

I met the teacher on the way into the studio where there was a group of grade 8 students sat on the floor getting ready.....once again, the usual giggles, whispers and stares started when they realised that I was the new boy in class! For some reason it really knocked my confidence especially as I jokingly said to them "I bet you don't see many boys in here" and got a load of stares, oops!

It's such a shame that there's so much taboo over males in class; I didn't take it too personally, but found it quite off putting and made me feel very self conscious! I'm going to try and persevere and blend in, it's just very difficult as a 23 year old boy in a class full of 18-20 year old girls! Any tips or advice?

Just keep going they'll get used to you!

I don't think there is much to say beyond that ... 

one would hope that at that level  any fears over  time wasting / leching / ulterior motives are out the window ...  ( anyway whose the say the lecherous behaviour  won;t be poor  Plie22   being  leched over by the  young ladies )

I didn;t realise there was suppsoed to  be a taboo , rather than  men not havign the confidence to say   sod  the idiots and do what they  want. 

the only  uncomfortable moment i have had in class  in the  relatively short period i have been attendign  classes is when the teacher   has to swerve  mid sentence as she realises she was aobut to say something  that presumed all  the class were female presenting. 

Edited by mph
  • Like 1

Be yourself and focus on your Ballet. You have every right to be there.

Funny enough I am more likely to call my students boys by mistake. I address some classes as ladies and gentlemen. I've always been cross when teachers overlook male students, probably down to having a ds myself.

Edited by hfbrew
  • Like 4

Didn't we have this discussion before?

Leaving the leotard behind was probably a mistake - dressing the part might have worked better.

Go, dance, learn. Stop worrying so much about what the kids think.

(I was rather tempted last week, after an extended metaphor from our teacher involving swimsuits, cruise tickets and engaging turnout muscles to point out that we get multiple pockets in our swimming gear, some with zips, but it didn't seem wise. )

• Like 1

I think that if you just get on with things, and show you're serious and there to learn, it'll soon be normalised. Although I think I'd have stared if a new person walked into class and said what you said:

"I bet you don't see many boys in here" and got a load of stares, oops!

But you were nervous, naturally, and we all say clumsy things when we're nervous. So just keep going back, say Hello & smile. This is where polite "manners" we use with near-strangers are invaluable - we can just go into automatic mode, to smoothe over potentially awkward situations.

Have fun - it's great that you've found a sympathetic and mentoring teacher!

• Like 2

And don't forget ( although may be revealing my age here!) in any situation ....not just ballet....where there is a group of young ladies and one male present there might be a bit of giggling etc ....though probably more teenage than twenties behaviour really.

I can remember at my school ....when about 14....(it was a smallish school by today's standards) that when the Head mistresses son was home from Uni and tinkering around with his car near the garage which we had to walk past to get into the playground ....there was a lot of giggling and blushing and hair titivating going on especially if one of his very handsome friends was there too!!

The thing is I just don't think it's THAT unusual these days for it to be acceptable for men to be dancing ....ballet or otherwise ...unless you live really out in the sticks ( sorry for all enlightened who do live in the sticks) where attitudes may be a bit behind the times.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...