A question about internal flights in the UK.

Lisa O`Brien

Yes. Fly Be seem to be the best one. I haven't had a passport in over 20 years and Sean was on his dad's Irish passport as a child, but needs his own too. We both have current Electoral Identity Cards and Sean has a student card as well. I know that you don't need a passport on the ferry, just some form of photographic ID. There is a supposedly really nice kennels and cattery nearby and I phoned her a few months ago. She only charges £8 per night for each cat, so that would be Blackie, Biscuit and Pumpkin taken care of. Of course, if he doesn't pull his finger out and apply to any unis by the 6pm deadline on 15 January we won't need to worry about going anywhere or how we are going to get there. 

Edited by Lisa O`Brien

I am flying Easyjet Liverpool - Belfast this weekend and it says driving licence is ok or passport up to 5 years following expiry

Oh well, that's worth knowing.  Mine's only a couple of years out of date.

Thanks for starting this, Lisa.

• Like 1

It is definitely the case that you do not need a passport on domestic flights, but you do supposedly need government-issued photo ID.

Different airlines have different procedures for checking them.  A few years ago, my friend and I went to Belfast for a few days; at the time he didn't have access to his (Australian) passport as he was, I think, in the process of British naturalisation, or possibly going through a visa renewal prior to this.  We ended up taking different flights (he flew into Belfast International - I forget with whom - and I flew BA into Belfast City), as I got cheaper flights, but he knew that the airline he was using were a relaxed about forms of ID on domestic flights and he wouldn't have questions asked about only having a driving licence.

That said, on my last set of BA flights (from Heathrow to Edinburgh and back) I don't recall having my ID checked at all, only my boarding pass.

I've never understood why you need to show ID for an internal flight, but not for any other mode of travel.  What's to stop a security risk getting on a coach instead?  I can remember the wonderful days when you just turned up at Stansted and walked through without any ID if you were taking an internal flight.  

I've never understood why you need to show ID for an internal flight, but not for any other mode of travel.  What's to stop a security risk getting on a coach instead?  I can remember the wonderful days when you just turned up at Stansted and walked through without any ID if you were taking an internal flight.  

Because you can kill a lot more people by crashing an aircraft into something than doing the same with a coach.

Surely it shouldn't be about numbers though?  Killing one human being is as bad as killing one hundred.  I think that Fonty also means that a security risk could travel around easily from one place to the next without any checks if he/she takes a coach or train, thus facilitating any bad event they would try to perpetrate.

• Like 1

Killing one human being is as bad as killing one hundred. 

I agree with that sentiment entirely.  However, security decisions need to be taken in a proportionate manner.  Elected governments have determined (having been advised by their security services) that it is appropriate for photo ID to be required to travel on an aircraft or through the Channel Tunnel.  The UK would grind to a halt if photo ID were required to board a train or coach.

I'm reminded of a TV programme a few years ago where members of the public (or minor celebs, I can't quite remember) where placed in a situation room during a simulated potential terrorist attack.  One episode involved a hijacked plane; the participants refused to shoot down the plane and it crashed into the Houses of Parliament - the security advisers said the participants made the wrong decision.  Another involved a bomb on a tube train that exploded whilst the train was under the Thames; the participants decided not to close the flood doors as there may still have been people alive on the train - the tunnel collapsed and flooded the entire underground network, killing thousands more.  Again, the security advisers said this was the wrong decision.

All just goes to show these are not easy decisions to make.

• Like 2

I'm not brave to fly on internal flights without a passport even though 9 times out of 10 I have never been asked for it. On my most recent flight last week everyone was asked to have passports ready for inspection before boarding. That was with easy jet though I'm sure they probably meant photographic ID rather than passport. Definitely double check with the airline first for peace of md if nothing else

• Like 1