Constant nose bleeds

Happymum

Anybody with similar problem?. My DD can have up to 3 a day! Usually at least one every other day - that's when she is at school. When at home or away on holiday they still happen but not so often. I know it is comon and not serious (if there is no blood dis-order) but can be problematic sometimes. I hoped that before the heating season starts (when the air in the rooms/studios is dry) the nose bleeds won't be that often but I was wrong. I asked DD to go and see a GP or nurse tomorrow (today was the day with 3 nose bleeds!)

Definitely get it seen to.

If there's nothing obvious or serious wrong, you might try a humidifier at night.

Adding that since I had a sinus infection a few years ago I've become occasionally prone to them and I find a humidifier reduces both nosebleeds and other irritation symptoms.

Edited by Colman

She definitely needs to see the Dr just to check there's no infection and probably for a blood test. Having said that my daughter also has a lot of nose bleeds. The problem is that once she's had one it re-opens easily so she will get bouts of them. They are definitely worse with anything that causes irritation in the back of the nose (hayfever, colds etc) and when she has a fever. Presumably because both of these will cause the blood vessels to dilate. We've had a ridiculously long hayfever season this year- does she suffer? I believe nose bleeds are also linked to hypermobility in the same way as easy bruising- the blood vessels walls are weaker than normal due to the collagen defect.

• Like 2

It can be related to allergy causing chronic inflammation in the nose also. A friend used allergy nose spray which helped. Is the dorm dusty? It must be virtually impossible to keep dust under control i would think. Can hardly manage at home myself!! Certainly discuss with her GP. I'm sure any potential causes would be exacerbated by the constant jigging up and down!!

Cross posted with Moomin

Edited by sarahw
  • Like 1

She has no allergies. The school rooms are always very clean and have been refurbished over the summer (anyway there is lots of dust in my house I'm sure... ????)

I remember I had frequent nose bleeds when I was very young (but not as bad as my DD) and had some kind of treatment to seal the blood vessels with silver nitrate (?)- but this was in a different country

I used to get them badly at junior school, too, and was threatened with cauterisation, but never had it done.  I think it *is* generally down to thin-walled blood vessels in the nose or something, but ought to be checked out, because I think there is the possibility of something else being involved.  I could understand if it was partly caused by excessive dryness.

I know many have already suggested that you seek medical advice, I can't emphasis that enough.

There could there be a minor flaw in the lining of the nose or a family history but there could also be other reasons for the nose bleeds.

Excessive bleeding can be the sign of another diagnosed underlying medical condition i.e hypertension, blood clotting disorder to name just 2. Nose bleeds being the first obvious symptom. 

Only a qualified medic can tell. Best book an appointment even if just for reassurance 

Good Luck. 

• Like 2

My DD, also at vocational school, often suffers with them (but not quite as badly as yours seems to!). She mostly has hers at night but usually after a day involving lots of activity. we think it is hereditary as her Dad also suffered during adolescence and we are hoping she will grow out of it, but if it became problematic I would take her to the GP!

I really wasn't sure whether to say this or not and I certainly don't want to worry or alarm ANY parents or anyone else on here. Can I say that first of all. This is just my own personal experience and I am no way at all suggesting this is the same as anyone else. When I was 16 and at ballet school in London I once, just once, tried to make myself sick by sticking my fingers down my throat. It didn't work but it gave me a pretty bad nose bleed that didn't stop for a few hours. It was while I was back in the hostel. The Sister in Charge, Sister Pauline [it was a Convent] was so worried about me ,that I had suddenly for no reason developed a nose bleed out of the blue. I felt so guilty about lying to a nun that I never ever tried it again.  This is just my own experience with having a nose bleed that one time and i'm quite sure people's children on here are having nose bleeds for perfectly valid reasons which might need further investigation. I hope I haven't upset ,worried or offended anybody. It was not my intention at all. But I thought it needed to be said and these things should be talked about openly.

• Like 2

From the age of 9-14 my daughter had frequent and very heavy nosebleeds. Often occurring in the middle of the night she would wake to find herself and bedclothes covered in blood. At the same time as this she was often tired and irritable. I had concerns about iron deficiency due to loss of blood so we did visit a doctor. In spite of the nose bleeds her iron levels were within a normal range. We were offered cauterisation as there were no other symptoms to be concerned of. We both decided to monitor for another 6 months and thankfully they have reduced significantly. Possibly part of growing up?

I would recommend getting it checked out.

• Like 1

Yes, same for us, eldest non DD suffered from about aged 6/7 with nose bleeds. Profuse and sudden, worse during summer months for sure. Dr said allergies could exacerbate (she gets hay fever), cauterisation mid summer helped (did this a few years in row), plus Dr recommended to drink ice cold water immediately after and splash freezing water on her face as it helps to contract the dilated capillaries which had burst.

She is now 14 and suffers far less with them, this summer a handful of times rather than sometimes 2/3 times a day when she was younger! Seems to be something she is just growing out of.

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update. DD went to school medical centre and was asked to keep a diary of nose bleeds for a week. Of course that was a week when she had just 2 nose bleeds (typical). But she has been seen by a GP today and he looked inside DD's nose and prescribed an antibiotic nasal cream. Hope it works. And hope this info will help others.

• Like 1