Bolshoi Ballet: Swan Lake, Royal Opera House, 2016

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Skorik is indeed a wonderful dancer; i saw her in Swan Lake with the Mariinsky. I haven't yet seen Lopatkina but can't wait to do so. From what I've seen of her she is the most exquisitely beautiful and classical dancer in the world with perfect lines. I adore Zakharova but think in Swan Lake Lopatkina is better.

• Like 2

Out of curiosity (trying to write a review!) does anyone know the name of the step that Odile does when she extends the leg croise devant then draws it through passe to releve to arabesque? I liked how Odette danced the same step in act 2, suggesting a connection between herself and Odile...

• Like 2

It is exactly as you describe, croise devant, plus developpee to arabesque with releve on pointe..No other pet name :)

Not normally in Odile solo, just Odette, in the West done three times one side then three the other, in Russia three times one side, then three times same side.

• Like 6

Anyone point me to a video of this move?

I think it's this step (she does it at 0:08 and then repeats) that you mean, although she moves to attitude rather than arabesque, so I might be wrong. This is the Bolshoi choreography, but they do it at the Mariinsky too, I think.

Edited by VickyPage

Not the same step, she passes through to attitude, not developpee.   More like it in the Black Swan coda, but much much faster, and consecutive rather then with sissones before...  After the fouettees..

Right, got it; thank you! I thought that step was probably wrong, because she didn't go through a retire, but I had forgotten about those steps after the fouettes (not in the video unfortunately, Don Q Fan). They fit your description so much better.

• Like 1

Although thanks to this forum I know some steps, most remains double Dutch to me as I do not know the steps or names hence request for a video???? I'd love to learn the technicalities but no idea how or where to start! I remain in awe of those that DO know the steps etc....maybe we could start a thread with video clips of steps and learn that way?!!!

Amelia's suggestion is a good one, but if you're still interested in this particular step, thanks to betterankles, I can assure you that what Lopatkina does at 1:14 is the aforementioned movement from the Odette solo. The leg goes through retire (tucked in at the knee) and then she does a developpe (an unfolding motion) to arabesque.

Edited by VickyPage
  • Like 4

I know there had been some concern that Ovcharenko and Tikhomirova's engagement/marriage plans had not been officially announced. 

Here is a lovely film made by a Russian Wedding Magazine on the occasion of the official announcement of their engagement in March 2015.  

• Like 4

Speculation about dancers' private lives is not encouraged but Bruce has given the link to an official announcement of an engagement.

Whilst the link is not directly about Swan Lake, it is probably more efficient to include the link here rather than start a new thread.

• Like 5

Oo-er Bruce, onto the naughty step with you ;) I for one didn't know that they were a couple, but having just seen them dance, I thought it was very interesting. I think if a couple have announced an engagement, nay even made a film about it, it is probably reasonable to talk about it! As that both dance for the Boshoi, then a thread about the Bolshoi's recent visit is quite a natural place, surely?

Is there any reason to be concerned "that Ovcharenko and Tikhomirova's engagement/marriage plans had not been officially announced" and even more so to do this in the the Swan Lake, Royal Opera House thread?

Assoluta, the ONLY reason I placed this link here - indeed placed it at ALL - was because I know there had historically hereabouts been a question as to whether this information had been 'publicly announced' and therefore apt per BcoF rulings (the latter being key) in terms of mention on the Forum itself.  This question of simple protocol may not have arisen on the Swan Lake thread - indeed now that I think on it the issue may well have initially arisen vis a vis a reference to a comment on the Bolshoi/DQ thread - but I fear given work pressure that I am under - which I promise you, Assoluta, is concretely considerable and ever growing - I did not have the luxury of time to go fishing (for which I most heartily apologise).  I agree with Janet that this item, in and of itself, - and given that it was presented merely in terms of in-house clarification - was not worth a separate thread unto itself.  

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 2

In an interview listed in the Links last Sunday, the new Bolshoi Ballet director Makhar Vaziev, reflecting on the Bolshoi residency at the Royal Opera that has just ended, commented: “We spoke with the Hochhausers [Lilian and Victor Hochhauser, the permanent producers of the Bolshoi’s London tours], and they want to ask us back again. It’s more likely to be 2019, because we already have tours planned in the meantime”.

This has left me speculating wildly about possible residencies in the summers of 2017 and 2018. I assume and hope the Mariinsky will fill one of the two slots though I haven’t heard any announcement as yet. But what of the other slot? Can we hope to see a different Company I wonder?

• Like 2

This has left me speculating wildly about possible residencies in the summers of 2017 and 2018. I assume and hope the Mariinsky will fill one of the two slots though I haven’t heard any announcement as yet. But what of the other slot? Can we hope to see a different Company I wonder?

I'd love it to be the Mikhailovsky.

• Like 8