Living at The Hammond

Ballet4Boyz

• Replies 735
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Are there any rules with regards to school shoes and bags for the girls? Is it just black leather shoes? Can they be ballet pumps or do they need to have a buckle/lace fastening? Am I right in that it's black bags for school (one for dance and one for school)? What do the other girls have currently. 

Many of the girls in my dd’s Year had DMs- very sturdy and supportive. I was shocked at the initial cost but as dd’s feet have stopped growing, they did last for 2 school years. 

• Like 3

Yeh dd initially had brogues when she started at Hammond in yr10 but after a few months we ended up getting DM’s as she was getting pains in her calves from trying to keep shoes on,  they kept slipping off her heels! So I would go for lace ups or a t bar straight off!! 

Edited by Dancing unicorn

• 3 weeks later...

It's been a few months since I've read this thread, but I recall the suggestion somewhere about parents of existing students being encouraged to attend the Open Morning.  My DD is starting in September and I'm thinking of taking my mum to the Open Morning at the end of September so she can see DD's new school, and hopefully get the chance to see her too, perhaps in a class.  Is there a part of the Open Morning (say, at the end) when you can have a quick hello with your DC?

Definitely no problem to take your child out after the open morning.  You’ll get the boarding house email (if you don’t have it already) so it’s easy to let them know what your plans are. As long as they know, it’s no problem at all. Open day is a great way to see classes, but you won’t know until quite near the day what your child will be in. 

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

Hi. 

DS has just found out he has an MDS so will be joining Hammond in Year 8 in September. 

The letter says further information will be sent out in due course but I wondered if someone could let me know what happens between now and September? Do they have a transition day etc? What about buying uniform or finding out which boarding house he'll be in. 

We really weren't expecting to get funding so we're all in shock at the moment.

Thanks in advance

Xx

Edited by PenguinBoysMum
  • Like 1

Hi PenguinBoysMum .... firstly congratulations to your DS ..... the Hammond is an amazing school !!

There is an induction day towards the end of Summer term where the new students meet & spend time with their year group. 

You can meet Becky Edwards & her lovely team from Stardust (based in Lichfield) on the day - who supply all academic & dancewear uniform for the Hammond students.

There will be uniform samples to try on there and then, but possibly not enough to kit your son out properly & it gets very busy. 

The best thing to do is contact Becky directly (there is a website) and explain your son has been offered an MDS place at the Hammond and she will guide you on everything ....... she’s a credit to the school & always so helpful. It’s always best to contact her early on as she becomes a very busy lady organising all the students kit over the Summer !!

I can only speak for the boys dorms and the WiFi is there but can be hit & miss depending on the boarding house & the location of your room !!

Before he attends in September you’ll be notified by email which boarding house he’ll be staying at and then on arrival you are then given your room number & specific bed & wardrobe etc. 

I’m basing this on the previous years but things may be done slightly differently now as there will be a new ‘head of boarding’ in place, which means changes could be made. 

Hope this helps 

21 minutes ago, Bluebird22 said:

@PenguinBoysMum huge congratulations to you and your DS! I think I remember last year that he got to Elmhurst finals? 

I’ve just spent the afternoon with someone who knows your son I think and she was so excited for him! Very much deserved! 

Yes he got to Elmhurst finals last year, then a straight no from Elmhurst this year. We'd decided not to audition anywhere else this year until he was invited to audition at the Hammond. I'm so glad we let him! 

As the BBO world is quite small I have an idea who you may have been with. That's so sweet. Thank you x

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ballet4Boyz said:

Hi PenguinBoysMum .... firstly congratulations to your DS ..... the Hammond is an amazing school !!

There is an induction day towards the end of Summer term where the new students meet & spend time with their year group. 

You can meet Becky Edwards & her lovely team from Stardust (based in Lichfield) on the day - who supply all academic & dancewear uniform for the Hammond students.

There will be uniform samples to try on there and then, but possibly not enough to kit your son out properly & it gets very busy. 

The best thing to do is contact Becky directly (there is a website) and explain your son has been offered an MDS place at the Hammond and she will guide you on everything ....... she’s a credit to the school & always so helpful. It’s always best to contact her early on as she becomes a very busy lady organising all the students kit over the Summer !!

I can only speak for the boys dorms and the WiFi is there but can be hit & miss depending on the boarding house & the location of your room !!

Before he attends in September you’ll be notified by email which boarding house he’ll be staying at and then on arrival you are then given your room number & specific bed & wardrobe etc. 

I’m basing this on the previous years but things may be done slightly differently now as there will be a new ‘head of boarding’ in place, which means changes could be made. 

Hope this helps 

That's great. Thank you.

Re Exeat - you can pick up cases from boarding house before (but be sure to check what time the boarding house will be manned until) and then collect child from school at 4pm so you can get on the road home quickly.  The evenings are busy but it helps avoid homesickness.  We found the less calls meant all well and when calls increased a little homesickness has set in but the head of boarding was a great help and most of the time it’s our need as parents to speak to them rather than their need to speak to you.  I would say that the Sundays can sometimes drag and so saving up all your questions for then passes time for them if they don’t have an activity planned. 

• Like 1

My best tip - start labelling uniform as soon as you get it. You have to name EVERYTHING from dance kit to sheets to every single bloomin’ sock else it can go missing. And casual weekend clothes too.  I left it until last week of August to label stuff and nearly had a sewing-induced meltdown. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, margarite said:

My best tip - start labelling uniform as soon as you get it. You have to name EVERYTHING from dance kit to sheets to every single bloomin’ sock else it can go missing. And casual weekend clothes too.  I left it until last week of August to label stuff and nearly had a sewing-induced meltdown. 

So first job is order so sew in labels! My least favourite job is sewing so little and often sounds a much better plan, thanks!

Laundry Marker pens way easier & some items simply have no ideal place to place sew in or iron on labels... I hate & am terrible at sewing & have not ever had problems with any school complaining that labels should be sewn in!

Do wish there was a white laundry marker pen for labelling black tights/socks/Leotards & undies as often white labels are cut out for comfort/appearance! Anyone tried a white sharpie (if there is such a thing!)?

Edited by Peanut68
Typo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, PenguinBoysMum said:

So first job is order so sew in labels! My least favourite job is sewing so little and often sounds a much better plan, thanks!

Easy2name do a range of naming options. There will be some things such as towels and sheets that you can use the punch on name buttons and I used iron on names for underwear. (They lasted well as long as they were applied with enough heat). Keep those horrid sew on labels to a minimum! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Peanut68 said:

Laundry Marker pens way easier & some items simply have no ideal place to place sew in or iron on labels... I hate & am terrible at sewing & have not ever had problems with any school complaining that labels should be sewn in!

Do wish there was a white laundry marker pen for labelling black tights/socks/Leotards & undies as often white labels are cut out for comfort/appearance! Anyone tried a white sharpie (if there is such a thing!)?

I’ve used white iron on transfers from Easy2name but they don’t last that long. 

• Like 1