Living at The Hammond

Ballet4Boyz

• Replies 735
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

50 minutes ago, Peanut68 said:

Stamps for kids (well, their clothes đŸ€Ł) & white pen for those black tights ordered! 

Please let me know if the white pen is any good. I've ordered woven labels and some clip things that I can use for some stuff.

While I'm sat here overthinking, what is the heating like in the boarding houses? Just wondering what tog duvet to get and are fitted sheets ok?

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry I'm back with more questions. Trying to build up an idea of initial costs.

Uniform

Are the scarf and coat compulsory? I'm assuming they are as not listed as optional.

Dance belts - are these covered by MDS? He currently wears Intermezzo boys thong back in age 10-12, but I think he needs a bigger size now - do they get washed during the week or will he need one for every day - also do they tumble dry these? Can't imagine them lasting long if tumbledried. Are there tried and tested brands anyone could recommend.

Tracksuit - is this optional or required and is this covered by MDS as dance uniform or does it come under school uniform and to be paid for?

Is there anything else on the lists that isn't required/compulsory. 

Also any other recommendations/advice about what to get/take or not bother with.

Thanks Again - this forum is a godsend!!

X

• Like 1

Scarf and coat compulsory but hardly ever worn, so I would try and get secondhand if possible. Tracksuit is compulsory too. 

Only thing DD hasn’t really worn is jazz shoes as she prefers foot thongs.

I know nothing about dance belts so will leave that for someone else to fill you in!

• Like 1

Oh - the dance belt dilemmas đŸ€ŁđŸ€ŁđŸ€Ł

they are washed and tumble dried every evening, but our DS has several pairs in case they go missing......surprisingly - they seem to survive the laundry process quite well. They are covered by MDS as part of the uniform.

He says most boys prefer the ‘padded’ option as more comfortable , although non-padded are available. Most boys wear the nude ones as less likely to show under any colour of tights. We don’t ask for a specific brand apart from them being nude & padded. They come in size S, M, L etc and I would think most year 7 boys would probably be size S. 

Dance tracksuit essential & covered by MDS - our DS has two which he rotates. He also prefers to wear turning shoes rather than jazz shoes but has them both as jazz shoes are always required for the boys in any shows. 😊

• Like 1

Other useful items for boarding are laundry bag, mattress topper, coat hangers and under bed storage boxes. A lot of the students (including our DS) take multivitamin tablets . 

Fire away with any questions as we are all here to help 😊

Edited by Ballet4Boyz
Typo
  • Like 1

Good idea to get there on first day early to scope out room & storage to see what you could get to then add that will fit... some may have option for under storage beds or maybe a plastic chest of drawer option might be better.... there’s a cheap B&M you can zip to (or the nearby at Bache Morrison’s) to get these potentially - maybe research where they are & what they have first! Useful if car already full up with kit!!

And it’s anyones guess about bedding & towels!! Down to kids so.....?? I suspect they leave their beds till exeats when they know their parents will strip & make up bed!! I know that’s what I do.... I do think it’s a bit yuck but exeats come round every 2-3 weeks, they shower daily & frankly I’d not change bedding much sooner at home if totally honest!!

Wouid like boarding to instigate a bed change though to a) give them practical life skills & b) spare me one job! Though it does kind of feel like you are still ‘looking after them’ as at home when you make their bed all nice!! Soppy mum moment.....sigh. It is hard missing them but it does get easier with time xx

I bought 2 skirts/sweatshirts/ties though know only 1 of each has ever been worn.... guarantee though if I’d only got one of each something would’ve got lost with ensuing dramas & desperate phone calls home đŸ€Ł

Edited by Peanut68
Typos