David,There are no casting details in the current About the House magazine. Let us hope that they are available before booking opens.

Promises have been made that the casting will be announced before any level of Patron/Friend needs to book tickets.

• Like 3

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It was certainly a co-prduction with the Bolshoi in the program notes of the premiere of the performance. I am not sure if you mean that as the time that bolshoi saw it, but just as an FYI.

Ah, thanks, SBF - I never bothered to look.  So it was the timing of the announcement which was odd.

Actually, I've just gone and hauled out the programme.  I can see a reference to the co-production on the cast sheet (which I think was for the first night), but nothing inside the "business" bit of the programme.  I think the rest of the programme remains the same regardless of what ballet's on, doesn't it?

There's usually some sort of press release with exact dates, but I can't see one this year - apart from details of opera dates. Has anyone found one? I know I can get the calendars for each booking period, but something all combined in one package would be useful. I can't even see where you get press releases from on the current website.

There's usually some sort of press release with exact dates, but I can't see one this year - apart from details of opera dates. Has anyone found one? I know I can get the calendars for each booking period, but something all combined in one package would be useful. I can't even see where you get press releases from on the current website.

http://www.roh.org.uk/news/ballet-and-dance-201617

This page will bring up the full list of ballets for 2016/17 and, if you click on each one, you get all the dates.

I imagine we will have to have the casting before May 3 as that's when Patrons can book.

Well they're cutting it very fine. The bank holiday weekend starts after tomorrow and then it's Patron's Day! Is there any sign of life out there?

The Autumn period is exciting but looks ambitious with three new works (all under the aegis of Wayne McGregor), plus the revival of Anastasia, to say nothing of Fille and Nutcracker  all competing for resources including rehearsal time. This against a background of the decision to reduce the casts for Frankenstein from three to two for undisclosed reasons. Is there a danger that the Company (and its dancers) might be becoming over-stretched?

They aren't always, NYCbird. There are many ballets that we haven't had for years: Sylvia, Ondine, Bayadere, just to name three full-lengthers. We usually have two or three seasons between Filles, but I am thinking that part of the reason for its revival next season is so that Roberta Marquez, one of the best Lises ever (IMHO) can come back and say a proper goodbye to the company and audience she served so well. The other reason, of course, is that it is totally fab and enduringly popular! :)

It's not THAT long since Bayadere - it was last on just before the last Mayerling, in 2013.  But Sylvia and Ondine haven't been done at all by the RB since I started attending regularly in 2011.

There seem to have been lots of reassurances issued to Friends and Patrons that casting will be announced before anyone needs to book.

Well, the Patron’s booking has opened and still no casting details for Period One so it looks like all the reassurances weren’t worth a can of beans – that is unless Patrons have been briefed privately.

Current programming is exciting and wide-ranging but the present casting disorder (last minute cancellation of the third Frankenstein cast, still no announcement re Invitation though the casting is said to have been agreed, and the continuing delays in announcing the Period One casts) does seem to suggest that the implications are not been properly thought through and that management is struggling to keep up!

Hopefully this is not a symptom of a deeper-rooted failure in forward planning. The decision not to replace retiring Principals for example is bold, particularly when the current breadth of programming is extending so rapidly, but does seem to rely heavily on the next generation of dancers coming through. It looks like the next Season will be the proof of that particular pudding - which makes the current lack of information all the more frustrating!

As far as the failure to appoint new  Principals is concerned perhaps the idea is that the younger talented dancers in the company should be given their chance to show what they can do. Once a decision is made about appointing new Principal dancers then they will presumably be allocated the standard three performances in all the major works that are scheduled which, unless those appointed are already company members, could lead to a whole generation of RB dancers being side lined.

I, for one, shall be quite happy if the company relies on its own dancers during the next season without any Principals being appointed. It would make a pleasant change if management has actually given some serious thought to the effect of appointing Principal dancers at this point without seeing what some of the front runners are like in the leading roles in Sleeping Beauty and Swan Lake.

As far as the first booking period is concerned I should have thought that it would not be unreasonable to expect to see some new casts in Fille and that the dancers that we might all like to see making their debuts as Lise are likely to be the same dancers that Lady M will want to play Anastasia, in a major revival of that work. What you think of MacMillan's Anastasia is very dependent on getting the casting of the main role absolutely right. Get it right and it can seen a strong, if flawed work, get it wrong and it can seem like a waste of good dancers. At the moment management are probably more concerned with tomorrow night's premiere than anything else, but when they have got that out of the way, they will be thinking not only of who should dance Anastasia but who to cast in the big classical pas de deux  for Mathilde  Kchessinskaya and partner created on Sibley and Dowell which is incredibly challenging technically.

As far as the men are concerned would anyone be upset if Ball and Hay made their debuts as Colas whatever their official status? Having said that, casting Hay as Colas might cause a problem with casting the role of  Alain throughout the run. The selection of dancers to play Alain during this revival may not be as straightforward as it has been in previous seasons. Kay and Acri. will dance  Alain again but who else do you see in the role ? It is a great pity that so many commentators  and dancers seem to regard roles created on Alexander Grant as being of little importance. I suspect that the easiest part of the first booking period as far as casting is concerned is Nutcracker.

Edited by FLOSS
  • Like 3

What you think of MacMillan's Anastasia is very dependent on getting the casting of the main role absolutely right. Get it right and it can seen a strong, if flawed work, get it wrong and it can seem like a waste of good dancers. At the moment management are probably more concerned with tomorrow night's premiere than anything else, but when they have got that out of the way, they will be thinking not only of who should dance Anastasia but who to cast in the big classical pas de deux  for Mathilde  Kchessinskaya and partner created on Sibley and Dowell which is incredibly challenging technically.

I quite agree with you regarding Anastasia - it is one of my favourite ballets, I saw it with Leanne Benjamin when it was last revived in 2004 - However the main role must be a strong dance-actress to make the powerful Act 3 resonant. She must be able to make you feel some sympathy and compassion for Anna Anderson - regardless of how you regard her life in general.

• Like 1

I want to see Osipova as Anastasia, if she isn't cast I probably won't bother to go.  The new designs robbed the work of the intrinsically Russian feel that was so prevalent in the original production.  The middle act was made absurd with clattering jewellery that could be heard above the music, it isn't just the discovery that Anna Anderson was a fraud (did anyone seriously think she wasn't?) that diminishes the work and in a way I wish it would be quietly dropped.  On the other hand two Tchaikovsky symphonies are a rare treat.  In Russia I expect Gergiev would conduct if the ballet were ever danced in St Petes. but my fantasy of Pappano stepping up to the rostrum is unlikely to be fulfilled.

Last time around I loved Leanne Benjamin in the title role, she was able to reconcile the two disparate parts of the ballet better than anyone since Seymour but the classical pas de deux was farcical compared to the originals.  The main roles are a big ask and although I can imagine a first cast led by Osipova I can't visualize a second cast at all.

• Like 1

I want to see Osipova as Anastasia, if she isn't cast I probably won't bother to go.  The new designs robbed the work of the intrinsically Russian feel that was so prevalent in the original production.  The middle act was made absurd with clattering jewellery that could be heard above the music, it isn't just the discovery that Anna Anderson was a fraud (did anyone seriously think she wasn't?) that diminishes the work and in a way I wish it would be quietly dropped.  On the other hand two Tchaikovsky symphonies are a rare treat.  In Russia I expect Gergiev would conduct if the ballet were ever danced in St Petes. but my fantasy of Pappano stepping up to the rostrum is unlikely to be fulfilled.

Last time around I loved Leanne Benjamin in the title role, she was able to reconcile the two disparate parts of the ballet better than anyone since Seymour but the classical pas de deux was farcical compared to the originals.  The main roles are a big ask and although I can imagine a first cast led by Osipova I can't visualize a second cast at all.

I can see where you are coming from, MAB. I think that Miss Osipova would be smashing in the role - she is a great actress as well as a dancer.

The ballet can be seen as a historical curiosity now that we know that Anna Anderson was a fraud. But when the ballet was first produced - the situation was a bit more complicated. I think that people wanted to believe that Anastasia had survived the shooting and many people were prepared to be convinced by Anna Anderson. I think that the 3rd Act, whilst powerful in its own right - needed the two other acts to put it into context. However it might be said that the first two acts are not based on the real Romanovs, they could be simply the products of Anna's imagination. 

• Like 1

Maybe it would be better to cast Osipova as Kschessinskaya then

Autumn casting information has just been promised by the end of tomorrow (based on an email to patrons and perhaps others this afternoon).  I'd be surprised if they didn't load it on the website at the same time.

• Like 1

Autumn casting information has just been promised by the end of tomorrow (based on an email to patrons and perhaps others this afternoon).  I'd be surprised if they didn't load it on the website at the same time.

Well that is good news. Thanks for the heads-up!

The main roles are a big ask and although I can imagine a first cast led by Osipova I can't visualize a second cast at all.

Surely Laura Morera could take the title role in Anastasia? Other mature dancers have managed the young elements of the role very well.

I would also cast Francesca Hayward.

Anyway, it sounds as if we may know tomorrow.

• Like 1

I think the casting opportunities offered to Ms Hayward during the Season will be really interesting - culminating I hope in Mayerling where I hope to see her cast either as Stephanie or maybe even Mary Vetsera, and then Titania! I feel these are roles just waiting for her but I'd be interested to hear what others think? 

I am keeping my fingers very firmly crossed that no new outside female principal is brought in.  At the moment there seems to be an excellent amount of talent in the first soloist and soloist sections, who should all be given a chance to show what they are capable of.  Otherwise, some girls who appear to have the ability to move right to the top will be left languishing down in their current positions, and we will never get the chance to see them doing some of the roles we would dearly love to see them in. 

• Like 4

I think the casting opportunities offered to Ms Hayward during the Season will be really interesting - culminating I hope in Mayerling where I hope to see her cast either as Stephanie or maybe even Mary Vetsera, and then Titania! I feel these are roles just waiting for her but I'd be interested to hear what others think? 

Looking forward to interesting opportunities offered next Season not only to Miss Hayward but also to other outstanding soloists such as Miss Naghdi, Miss Stix Brunell and Fumi Kaneko, and for the upcoming young Matthew Ball, Reece Clark and Marcelino Sambe!

• Like 2

Looks like there's a Hayward/Sambe cast for Fille but just one show.  Anastasia is Osipova/Cuthbertson/Morera as the lead.  Chroma will be danced by a mix of RB and Alvin Ailey dancers at each performance.  in Nut there are Sugar Plum/Prince pairings of Hayward/Campbell, Naghdi/Ball, Stix-Brunell/Edmonds and Calvert/Clarke. (Hayward Campell get two shows but the other three couples seem to get just one each.)  Doesn't seem to be on the website yet but the email is out.

• Like 2

Thank you for that information Barton22, did you receive the information as a Friend? I am also Friend but have not had any information about period1 casting as yet.

My booking deadline is next week.  I suspect they will now load on the site so it will be there soon. 

They've started to load it:

http://www.roh.org.uk/productions/la-fille-mal-gardee-by-frederick-ashton

http://www.roh.org.uk/productions/anastasia-by-kenneth-macmillan

Edit: just noticed opening night of Fille is Morera/Muntagirov but thereafter she dances with Zucchetti and he dances with Nuñez - possible typo?

Other casting not loaded yet but here are the links for when it's done:

http://www.roh.org.uk/mixed-programmes/chroma-new-wayne-mcgregor-carbon-life

http://www.roh.org.uk/productions/the-nutcracker-by-peter-wright

Edited by Bluebird