Birmingham Royal Ballet - Swan Lake - Autumn 2015

Janet, I have booked to see two different casts in Swan Lake - very unusual for me.

The first night I have grabbled one of the cheap £12 seats so that I can view from above.  Next night, I am in the slightly posher seats with a few friends.

Really looking forward to it. BRB are the best (IMO)

(Edited to add I am a Londoner, and am talking about Sadlers Wells.  Trouble is, I can't remember who I am seeing, but I am sure they will all be great!)

Edited by Fonty
  • Like 3

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On Saturday both Celine/Tyrone/William and Momoko/Joe/Mathias casts ratcheted up several notches.

I had thought I may have been a bit Swan-Laked-out by then but not a bit of it.  I was enthralled by both performances.

Tyrone's interpretation of Siegfried is so multi-layered - he makes the character a real person.  Joe's interpretation is different.  From the start it is obvious he has been thrust into royal duties at an early age and they sit comfortably on him.  He is only plunged into despair when his mother tells him he has got to get married.  These two differing interpretations show once again why we feel the need to go over and over again!

Celine and Momoko both bring out Odette's vulnerability beautifully and are both delicious temptresses as Odile!  I must say that Momoko's fouette sequence on Saturday night was nothing short of spectacular!  She was tossing out triples so fast that I think the orchestra was having difficulty keeping up with her!  Of course I didn't count them but she finished bang on the music.  No wonder Siegfried was totally bewitched by her!

Act 4 at both performances was also very moving.  I shed one heck of a lot of tears last week!!  If all goes to plan I will be seeing three more casts between Birmingham and Sunderland!

• Like 1

I saw the first performance of this production at the Opera House. It wasn't the premiere, that was in Manchester but the production caused a very good critical reaction.

Never, at any time do I remember a red tutu. Lots of black was the overall impression and that has remained for over 30 years now.

Philil Prouse's designs are often based on black, except his Sleeping Beauty which is primarily gold.

Well, I saw both performances in Birmingham yesterday.

At the matinee Yaoqian Shang and Cesar Morales were just delicious together.  It is almost beyond belief that Shang only joined BRB from school in 2013 and has just started her third year at the company.  She has a very special talent and gave a beautifully nuanced performance in both roles, far more mature than you could possibly imagine given how young she must be.  Cesar is the most beautiful, elegant of dancers and he brings all his experience to the role of Siegfried, giving an intelligent characterisation.  He is a wonderfully generous partner.  All in all it was a wonderful performance.

And so to the evening....

Nao Sakuma gave her first performance for BRB since her return from maternity leave.  She gave us a masterclass in how to perform Odette/Odile.  It was a privilege to be in the audience.  Her Siegfried was Yasuo Atsuji, in his debut for BRB (not sure if he performed the role in Japan).  They had a very special rapport on stage and Yasuo gave a lovely interpretation of Siegfried.  James Barton was a brilliant Benno - he just inhabited the role.  All the cast were on top form and it was an overwhelmingly brilliant performance.  

• Like 4

She's a baby girl, born on 28th April and is called Karen.  She was at The Lowry with her parents (Nao wasn't dancing that week).

All this is in the public domain, a link to an interview in the Birmingham Mail was published a couple of weeks ago.

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/whats-on/arts-culture-news/birmingham-royal-ballet-dancer-nao-9985702

Edited by Janet McNulty
Edited to add link
  • Like 3

What a stunning production .... Every bit as magical as I had remembered it to be - if not more so.  Such musicality in its etching and deployment.  This is a wonderful version for young people - for anyone - around the country to be introduced to ballet by.  The third act alone is so rich in its choreographic tapestry ... and it just tells the story so well ... and muscially.  That word again..  The woman with dementia in the seat in front of me was conducting, singing and cooing throughout.  Her movements in tandem with those on the stage were really quite beautiful.  She quite forgot the light at the end of the row barrier that had been intimidating her.  She was away with some truly enchanting fairies.  Hers - like ours through the vision of Peter Wright -  were nothing less than a diversity of valour.  

Gittens entranced as O/O ... Never did she forget that her characters were birds.  Not for one moment.  Her head movements were magical and the arms so vibrant in their decorum.  Can arms shout?  I thought at moments that hers did.  I was amazed at the slow speed she took the fouettes.  Was this a conscious choice I wondered?  Surely that made the singles - let alone the triples - all that more difficult to achieve.  That girl done well.  Tyrone Singleton's prince showed his own strength in that one armed lift in the second act - a fitting triumph of passion certainly... and in his Act III coda variation.  His role is so clearly proscribed in this portrayal and he did naught but enrich well trodden tale.  

Marion Tait .... Ah, Marian Tait; .... She breathes theatre and we ALL applaud :)

Finally what can one say about William Bracewell as Benno.  WOW!!  This is a superb dancer; his velvet stealth - his glittering placement; his dynamically animated presence; his richly redolent elan.  I wouldn't be surprised if O'Hare had half an eye on him.  He (Bracewell that is) would do well I should think to stay put for a bit.  This is a fine company - a true one - and - no question - this lad is every inch world class ... no matter where in the world he might find himself.    His variation in the Courtesans special was - in a word - breathtaking -- totally telling (that's two more) ... and, boy, the did this audience know it.  They came alive - even in spite of the overkill with the heating system.  Stuffiness prevailed in the auditorium ... but certainly not on stage ... There the vigorous resonance of  rapture was manifestly personified.  We cheered and the lady with dementia celebrated by waving her arms and beating her feet.  I bet her journey down the stairs will have been easier to that horrific initial climb.  She had been so frightened but now the strains of Wrightian exaultation danced in her heart.  That seemed to help her to rise above it all.  

Heigh Ho a dancer's life. ..... They were Prized ... certainly ... at least tonight.   

Bravi.  ....  

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 4

Finally what can one say about William Bracewell as Benno.  WOW!!  This is a superb dancer; his velvet stealth - his glittering placement; his dynamically animated presence; his richly redolent elan.  I wouldn't be surprised if O'Hare had half an eye on him.  He (Bracewell that is) would do well I should think to stay put for a bit.  This is a fine company - a true one - and - no question - this lad is every inch world class ... no matter where in the world he might find himself. 

I know - I remember watching his graduation performances in the Linbury and wondering whether the Royal Ballet had overlooked him, or whether it was a deliberate choice of his to go for BRB.  From the dramatic ability he demonstrated, I thought that the Royal would be a more natural fit - but we shall see.

Yes, Gittens and Singleton were lovely together last night. Gittens was equally good in both roles, which is rare. She has a special quality to her: nothing brittle or cheesy or self-regarding. Singleton's landings from his high jumps were incredibly soft. It was the first time that I had seen BRB's Swan Lake and it was interesting to see the differences between it and the Deane version, which I have seen several times. BRB's version is very strong on telling the story. The last part of Act 4 is particularly good and was very stirring last night with the lines of swans bearing down on Rothbart and Benno coming in at the end carrying the dead Siegfried in his arms. Koen Kessels was conducting last night. It may be an acoustics issue, but I would have liked him to have gone for it a bit more in some of the more dramatic passages (this did happen at the end of Act 4).

Last night I mused again on what an appropriate costume for Rothbart is......

I was there last night, and agree with everything Bruce says.  Absolutely fantastic performances, and a production that for once seems to make perfect sense of the story.  I didn't feel there was one wasted moment of that glorious music.  

Gittens was sensational as O/O, one of the very few dancers I have seen who really made the differences between the two believable.  And I loved the real sense of camaraderie between Singleton and Bracewell. 

If there was one small criticism, it was the pace of the music in the second act during the main pas de deux.  I got the feeling that there were moments of slight hesitation, almost as if both the conductor and the dancers were waiting for each other to set the pace.  Probably my imagination, but that's how it felt as I was watching. 

Other than that, a wonderful evening with superb dancing.  Unbelievable to think that I paid less for my ticket up up in the gods than I did for my cinema ticket to see the live performance of R & J!  Off again tonight to sit in the posh seats, and really looking forward to seeing it from a different angle.   

I know - I remember watching his graduation performances in the Linbury and wondering whether the Royal Ballet had overlooked him, or whether it was a deliberate choice of his to go for BRB.  From the dramatic ability he demonstrated, I thought that the Royal would be a more natural fit - but we shall see.

Will is on record as saying he had a number of offers but he actively chose BRB as it would offer him more opportunities earlier in his career.

• Like 3

Fonty, I also thought that there was something a bit odd about the music for that pdd. I put it down to the violin 'solo' being played a bit too rubato. Both Singleton and Bracewell had an aristocratic air about them (rightfully). I did miss the full Act 1 solo for Siegfried that you have in the ENB version but I think that Siegfried has more dancing overall in the BRB version. And I paid about 40% less for one of the best seats in the stalls, just along from Mark Monahan of The Telegraph (a big fan of Gittens), than I paid for a cramped seat in the amphitheatre for R&J.

• Like 2

Well, I had high expectations of Brandon Lawrence as Siegfried, and he more than fulfilled them this afternoon!  Delia Mathews was very good as Odette/Odile (again, nicely differentiated) as well, and the production is looking stunning.  If you're in London, and you're not going to see it, then WHY ON EARTH NOT???!!!

• Like 7

Thank you to those who recommended to see Delia Mathews and Brandon Lawrence. I have rarely been so moved by the Act II pdd. Exquisite dancing from Mathews, and noble partnering and acting from BL. I was loving it, until a lady decided the sweet moments of their new found love and redemption would make a really good moment to do some sustained text messaging.

I liked the production a lot too. More than any I have seen it invests the story with narrative drive and dramatic impetus. Mr Weight sure knew what he was doing.

PS Kevin O'Hare and Liam Scarlett were there at the matinee (only realised when I was leaving and was walking down the stairs directly behind them, I had the urge to say something...but didn't of course.)Perhaps they were judging reactions,comparing versions, looking for talent for the as-yet unmade ROH Swan Lake of the future?

Edited by nickwellings
  • Like 4

I agree, they were wonderful both as a partnership and alone. I thought the production was fantastic and the narrative so well thought out. It flowed, there were no boring interludes and it all made sense...and was even believable. The corps were beautiful and really enhanced a special afternoon.

I also saw Kevin and Liam there, and can only hope that he takes inspiration from this production, which shows how Swan Lake should be done. I was quite choked up at the end. Just when I thought that this ballet had no more surprises for me after a lifetime of watching it, along come Peter Wright, Brandon Lawrence and Delia Matthews to prove me wrong. Thank you to them for reminding us that, contrary to what some people say, ballet is not dead, or even dying. It can, and is, renewing itself all the time. We have only to look at today's performance, and the recent Naghdi/Ball R&J, to know that this is true. Not only did they make those pieces look fresh and alive, they have shown that ballet has a future...and a very bright one.

• Like 11

Yesterdays matinee was wonderful.  I am very glad that I made the (expensive) effort to go and to catch Delia Mathews and Brandon Lawrence.  Having seen Gittins/Singleton at The Lowry as well I think I have seen 2 pretty damn good performances. I liked Max Maslen as Benno too, although William Bracewell at The Lowry was a very fine Benno too - the best I think.  Someone wrote about Delia Mathews tasking time over her steps - I noticed this and it is/was amazing the way she has this quality where the music is playing as normal but she is able to show her steps they are not rushed or hurried in any way and it was really lovely to see this.  Delia's amazing fouettes were likewise considered - a true feat where fouettes are concerned and she, bless her, did proper single clear fouettes not a double in sight with the exception of just one at the very end - brava!  I like Brandon as well he is a very elegant dancer and he and Delia are very well matched.  His jumps were lovely with soft landings and he was a lovely gentle Prince.

The corps de ballet were great as usual - from the national dances to the swans.  The Princesses were all good and Celine Gittins danced the Polish princess and she also made a look of "pffff" at her princess competition!  The cygnets pd4 was fabulous and perfectly danced so brava to the 4 ladies!  The swans were great and oh so menacing in their V and diamond formations.  I think this version of Swan Lake has to have the biggest tear jerker ending because of the way Benno carries his dead friend at the end...true tragedy.  The curtain up on Act 4 was still a magnificent sight and it is the one that sticks in my mind when I remember this version of Swan Lake.  I like that Act 4 is not protracted although I do miss that lovely piece of music that is so often included in other versions - ENB, RB, Mariinksy, however this version works well without it.  Looking forward to Saturday's triple bill now!

With BRB yet again it was noticeable just how much the dancers enjoy what they are doing - it is always so obvious with BRB that this is the case and I have been commenting on this for years it makes such a difference - clearly a happy ballet family which is all credit to the team that BRB is.  Notable visitors in the audience were, as already mentioned, Kevin O'Hare and Liam Scarlett - all the more interesting because RB is to have a new Swan Lake - so were they sizing up Sir Peter Wright's work - he was also present sitting next to Marion Tait and the rest of the BRB Quality Control Team as I call them - or my other thought was were they looking at dancers to poach?!! 

Sorry Janet I didn't get too close, stalls O was offered but I ended up First Circle row H but no people in the 2 rows in front so no big heads to mar my view, but as Nick above said there was a Phantom Rustler in the house - just as Act 2 started with its beautiful quiet music and Odette's first appearance out came what can only have been the butties and pop.  In the end I got fed up and SHUSHED the offender who did actually stop! But it winds you up.  However I am more used to shushing now so it didn't affect me for too long but then her phone tinkled as well - so maybe the same culprit as Nick heard?  So annoying.....

Edited by Don Q Fan
  • Like 3

Well, I was up in the Second Circle, and we had what sounded like someone trying to open a multipack of crisps.  I think that was during Siegfried's "brooding" solo in Act I, although there were so many disruptions I may be wrong.

Agree about the quality of the matinee: I think I liked about 80% of the performances more than I did their equivalents in the evening performance.

Don Q Fan....I was also in the First Circle row H!! What a pity, we could have said hello to each other had we known!! However, I moved to the seat in front of me after the first interval, in that empty row. I was right in the middle of row H and felt guilty making everyone stand up and sit down each time I went out!! I also heard the rustler, and heard a shush, so that was obviously you! Well done....I turned around and gave her a couple of dirty looks, and if she hadn't stopped I would have shushed her too. Then there were the two girls sitting right in front of me who were quite openly videoing much of the performance on their iPhones. In the Coli, the ushers would have been on them like a shot!

• Like 1

Don Q Fan....I was also in the First Circle row H!! What a pity, we could have said hello to each other had we known!! However, I moved to the seat in front of me after the first interval, in that empty row. I was right in the middle of row H and felt guilty making everyone stand up and sit down each time I went out!! I also heard the rustler, and heard a shush, so that was obviously you! Well done....I turned around and gave her a couple of dirty looks, and if she hadn't stopped I would have shushed her too. Then there were the two girls sitting right in front of me who were quite openly videoing much of the performance on their iPhones. In the Coli, the ushers would have been on them like a shot!

Ah well I think we were sitting next to each other then I had H11 - the lady to my left moved to the row in front in the interval and brought a friend later sounds like it was you!  So funny and so sorry we didn't know and say hello!  Oh and yes I could see those 2 videoing on their phones - I took some photos at curtain call but would never take any mid show.  

Edited by Don Q Fan
  • Like 1

Reading all the posts in this thread made me decide to buy tickets to Swan Lake in Belfast in November. So I'll be driving to see Celine Gittens & Tyrone Singleton on Sat 7th. Looking forward to it.

If you can make the matinee as well you'll see Delia and Brandon too!  I nearly flew over for the matinee but The Trocks have since got in the way!  Either way whatever you see you are in for a treat.

That friend was none other than our very own Alison! What a shame...you could have met us both! You must have been sitting near the lady having the coughing fit! I offered her cough sweets but she had her own medication. And yes, it was me who climbed over the seats in the interval to avoid making everyone get up for me!

• Like 1