Primaballerina1

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I would be really interested to hear feedback from any other DC who attended the Paris Opera Masterclass yesterday at Covent Garden? My DS came out feeling quite despondent: felt he was possibly the youngest there, didn't know many of the steps and struggled to understand the teacher even when he was speaking English (which apparently wasn't much of the time!). 

My DD attended and was thrilled with the class.  She did say it was extremely tricky (I spoke to one of the WL teachers who agreed with her).  DD is just 14 so one of the youngest too but enjoyed the challenge.

That said, I think this is very unlike Royal Ballet classes which are not usually that difficult!

Sorry Tinydancer and BoyOhBoy that your children didn't enjoy it.  I don't think it helped that the entire White Lodge teaching staff were there watching  :huh: but they would not have expected DC that young to handle that level so don't worry.

Edited by angel
  • Like 1

My DD (14) was in the second class and also thoroughly enjoyed it. She said the steps weren't tricky but that the way they were put together was unusual, she also enjoyed the challenge. She did however mention that it was a little difficult to understand the teacher at times and he instructed them at a very fast pace, but it didn't spoil her enjoyment.

DD is non-vocational and no longer a RBS associate, so she was delighted to have been selected. She was determined to make the most of it and she would not have had any idea who most of the audience were with one or two exceptions.

What a shame for your children to come out feeling down :(

• Like 3

Thanks Angel! Thanks Tinydancer! Good to hear some other views! Glad your DD really enjoyed it Angel, and sorry you had same reaction as us, tinydancer! Interesting, eh! All a bit of a learning experience!

My DS was in the morning session, he is 11 but he seemed to think the average age was 12-13. He is a MA and has done various Associate workshops but found this tough. 

Interesting to hear that the WL staff thought it was tough too though! Thanks v much for feedback! 

• Like 1

I think that the fact that there were two or three years between some of the students in each class meant that the teacher probably pitched it at the older ones.  

BoyOhBoy, MA and JA classes, as well as WL classes and workshops are much more about doing the basics well and building on this in later years.  I did see quite a few young faces looking a bit shell shocked.

Foreign students are exposed to greater difficulty at a younger age as far as I understand it.  It is a different system of training and Paris Opera is probably a training that most of out DC's won't get to experience often.

edited for grammar

Edited by angel
  • Like 1

DD loved this class and like many other DC she sometimes didn't understand what the teachers were saying! We had no idea there were WL staff watching! DD thought the class was hard and there were a few vocational students there. She also said that the teacher expecting a lot from them and there were lots of associates there.

• Like 1

Before DD went we googled wilfried and he looks like a young good looking guy, my daughter said the man who taught them was much older! There was another man there with his leg in plaster!!

Saying that anyone over 25 is old to my daughter.

Edited by tinydancer
  • Like 2

My Dd (12, working at RAD Intermediate level) did the masterclass... She doesn't really share the world of her ballet classes with me unless there's a problem... I did ask about the masterclass though. Apparently, it was worth the 5 hour drive (newbies driving into central London!) there and back home again. I asked "What did you learn?", and "Did you learn anything new?"... "Stuff", was her reply.

I mentioned that some children didn't understand what the teacher was saying... "Well, what did they expect?! He was French!", she said. Well that shut me up...

She did agree that occasionally WR focused on someone in particular, but that it wasn't something that bothered her.

If the year 7 children have only recently started learning French, maybe there was more of a language barrier?

Before DD went we googled wilfried and he looks like a young good looking guy, my daughter said the man who taught them was much older! There was another man there with his leg in plaster!!

Saying that anyone over 25 is old to my daughter.

Edited by tinydancer, Today, 10:15 PM.

Tinydancer, let's hope the man with his leg in a cast is feeling better soon, because firstly - you never know! - he could

well have been the good man who selected your daughter to have the opportunity to do the masterclass, and secondly, it was quite good of him to make his way across central London on a Sunday morning, when he had every good reason to stay home and put his feet up!

• Like 4