RBS Associate experience day

coniger

I feel a bit ridiculous asking about this when everyone is so knowledgeable and further down the line from us!!!!

My 8 year old DS is starting LJB associates on the 20th which he is very excited about.  His teacher has also mentioned he should sign up for the RBS associate experience day.  Does anyone know what it involves?  Also I just had to say yes that I had asked my son's teacher to apply for LJB but for RBS experience I practically had to write down the inside leg measurement of his teachers (numbers, email, address etc)  Why do they ask for so much information?

Ok now I sound very "new"  so sorry about the basic questions!

Coniger :)

Everybody is "new" at some point, coniger! Ask as many questions as you like. If it helps, here's a link to the dates, info and application form for what used be referred to as "JA for a day": http://www.royalballetschool.org.uk/training/associates/juniorassociatesexperiencedays/

It says that children will experience a typical JA class, so that they, and their parent can see the facilities, class content, and teaching style.

Historically, the RBS JA selection process has been fairly highly focussed on physique and physical proportions, hence the physical detail needed. But for all vocational application forms, a lot of detail is required regarding current and past teachers, current standard being studied, teacher's signature etc.

All perfectly normal! :-)

We"ll be going again this year! Just leapt online as the countdown of places available makes me a bit twitchy. In my adrenalin rush managed to give details of our dance schools registered charity address rather than actual address AND accidentally called dance teacher whilst inputting her number. Carry on PV.

• Like 2

Just out of curiosity PV where does the countdown of places available show?  One of my pupils has sent off and paid for a place in London, but I cannot go this time as it would mean cancelling classes that day.  I wish they hadn't changed it from half term week.  However I have been to several of these days both for JAs and older students over the years.  It is an interesting day and pupils have a wonderful time.  

• Like 1

Odd - they have done this with the Summer school for next summer too - both WL weeks are before schools finish. Hard to understand why.

Perhaps - and this is just a wild stab in the dark - RBS might in their own eyes believe they have 'Special Snowflake' status and believe that regular schools will go "Ooooh, Royal Ballet School eh? Wowee, how exciting, we'll definitely let the child have the time off school for that then!".

Now that's a MN phrase if ever I heard one.

But that week just so before half term is difficult to get off (one year I had 2 children with different half terms a week apart) as its often used for resudential trips or in ds's case school play rehearsals.

Same in July, is any year 6 for example going to want to miss out on their leavers assembly, last days at primary etc etc.

Do i do hope that wasn't a dig me a Petal Violet!!! I certainly would never think my dd is a "special snowflake"....!!! Well maybe a little, but I am her mother....!!! Lol

I think Children can be allowed time of at state schools for activities like this and it can be counted as "educated off site" which won't affect their attendance record. It's at the head teachers discretion though I believe, I know dds school signed her off for an Easter Intensive last year no problem, it probably would depend on how your school views the reason for the absence.

Edited by Snowflake
  • Like 1

Now that's a MN phrase if ever I heard one.

But that week just so before half term is difficult to get off (one year I had 2 children with different half terms a week apart) as its often used for resudential trips or in ds's case school play rehearsals.

Same in July, is any year 6 for example going to want to miss out on their leavers assembly, last days at primary etc etc.

Exactly my thoughts Pictures - DD would never want to miss her leavers party at primary school which is during the second week of the SS.

Edited to add - 

Just a thought re the SS. As was mentioned on the other thread having the Summer school earlier may be to encourage international students, but I was wondering WHY they want to do this? Do they pay more than UK students for SS? It would be interesting to know if there is in general a push for more overseas students due to reduced funding for the school  - I know that this year for example WL year 7 took in two international students who would of course be paying full fees, and not eligible for MDS. It would make sense if there are general government cutbacks affecting the arts and RBS is feeling this. (Although I realise this has nothing do with the JA experience day so apologies for going a bit off-thread).

Edited by amos73

I feel a bit ridiculous asking about this when everyone is so knowledgeable and further down the line from us!!!!

My 8 year old DS is starting LJB associates on the 20th which he is very excited about. His teacher has also mentioned he should sign up for the RBS associate experience day. Does anyone know what it involves? Also I just had to say yes that I had asked my son's teacher to apply for LJB but for RBS experience I practically had to write down the inside leg measurement of his teachers (numbers, email, address etc) Why do they ask for so much information?

Ok now I sound very "new" so sorry about the basic questions!

Coniger :)

WL invite the pupils former ballet teachers to the school to watch classes and I expect the application form is the same as or cribbed from the one for associates and full time.

My dd enjoyed this day a number of years ago. Parents were allowed to watch and from what I remember there was a ballet class, a chat about what to expect at audition and a question and answer session. There was also a PDD demonstration by a couple of sixth formers who were about to perform in a competition. I was a very new ballet parent then and apart from being amazed by their skill should probably have paid more attention to who I was getting a close up performance from!

• Like 2

Exactly my thoughts Pictures - DD would never want to miss her leavers party at primary school which is during the second week of the SS.

Edited to add - 

Just a thought re the SS. As was mentioned on the other thread having the Summer school earlier may be to encourage international students, but I was wondering WHY they want to do this? Do they pay more than UK students for SS? It would be interesting to know if there is in general a push for more overseas students due to reduced funding for the school  - I know that this year for example WL year 7 took in two international students who would of course be paying full fees, and not eligible for MDS. It would make sense if there are general government cutbacks affecting the arts and RBS is feeling this. (Although I realise this has nothing do with the JA experience day so apologies for going a bit off-thread).

So WL accepted 2 international students into year 7? I ,from reading this Forum,didn`t think any international students ever applied to WL,only to Upper School.

So WL accepted 2 international students into year 7? I ,from reading this Forum,didn`t think any international students ever applied to WL,only to Upper School.

There were at least two international applicants for WL whose mums were posting on this forum during the audition rounds earlier this year. It is likely there were others too as most are NOT posting here of course!

Are EU applicants eligible for funding? I thought they were.

Edited by invisiblecircus
  • Like 1

We applied from Ireland for year 8 and another girl from Italy applied as well. We really didn't expect her to get in at Year 8 but from Ireland the flights were inexpensive and we stayed with close friends so it was really more for the amazing experience! I am pretty sure we could never find funding for the international fees if she somehow got in, though I guess you'd be tempted to try if it happened. She had a great experience and we don't regret it, but won't repeat auditions for full time training till upper school. If she stays dedicated and determined and teachers think it is possible that is...her passion hasn't changed since the age of 9 and she is soon to be 13 in November!

• Like 4