Royal Ballet School: Annual Performance 2015

Today's show was just so wonderful, what talent we have in the school. The programme was:-

Mazurka des Enfants - after Paquita after Petipa

Waltz and Pas d'Action from La Bayadere - Makarova after Petipa

Third Movement - Scarlett

Sechs Tanze - Kylian

Chanson - Deane

Les Rendezvous - Ashton

Rush - Wheeldon

Grand Defile - Gailene Stock and lots of others.

Its a little unfair to signal anyone out above the others because at their ages they all have a special talent but I predict huge careers for:-

Chisato Katsure and Francisco Serrano, both wonderful and he has such presence on the stage in La Bayadere

The two leads in the third movement, not given any mention but wonderful for their ages in lower school.

Giulia Frosi and Lukas Bjorneboe Braendsrod for their Sechs Tanze and Chanson particularly the former that was something very special.

Les Rendezvous - Kaho Yanagisawa and Joseph Sissens, I have mentioned him before, two potential good ones their.

What a priviledge to see such talent and dedication

• Like 6

SPD44 totally agree with you on your predictions!

It was a wonderful show and I just loved Sechs Tanze and Chanson. I wondered whether Chanson was part of anything more or just a one off choreographed by Derek Deane.

Anyway whole show was hugely enjoyable especially as I ended up sitting next to an enthusiastic mum (and rightly so!) so an extra bonus!!

I could write more but as they have not all finished training yet it probably wouldn't be right to do so on a public forum.

I had two friends with me who are not particularly ballet goers and never seen the RBS show before ......they absolutely loved it and said to me at the end" we must make this an annual event" just to see the students.

So two more hooked!

• Like 6

Are these a return to the original designs for Lez Rendezvous, with the gates of the park standing open ? The programme says that the costumes are courtesy of Sarasota Ballet.  I think they revived it, with the original designs. 

Yep Sarasota went back to the original designs. Some old costume designs really still work (Symphonic and Les Patineurs say) and others can look soppy which is what Rendezvous looked like to me. BRB have been touring the Anthony Ward designs - nice costumes but wretched backcloth. It would be better to combine the Sarasota gates and the Ward costumes!

Today's show was just so wonderful, what talent we have in the school. The programme was:-

Grand Defile - Gailene Stock and lots of others.

????  Sadly, Gailene passed away more than a year ago, so I hope this wasn't printed in the programme?? 

• Like 1

It was a wonderful show and I just loved Sechs Tanze and Chanson. I wondered whether Chanson was part of anything more or just a one off choreographed by Derek Deane.

I believe Chanson is a stand alone pdd that Derek Deane created for television in the early '80s.  There is a video of the TV performance (danced by Alessandra Ferri and David Wall, on whom it was created) on youtube, but it is (incorrectly) attributed to MacMillan there.  

• Like 1

Are these a return to the original designs for Lez Rendezvous, with the gates of the park standing open ? The programme says that the costumes are courtesy of Sarasota Ballet.  I think they revived it, with the original designs. 

Yes, or a recreation of the Chappell costumes and design. Bravo Sarasota, and bravo Kaho Yanagisawa for her beguiling performance in the lead.

• Like 2

????  Sadly, Gailene passed away more than a year ago, so I hope this wasn't printed in the programme?? 

I think what was meant here is that Gailene had a lot of input into the current choreography of the defile.  I'm not sure why she should not continue to be credited as a choreographer.

• Like 4

I think what was meant here is that Gailene had a lot of input into the current choreography of the defile.  I'm not sure why she should not continue to be credited as a choreographer.

I'm not saying she shouldn't;  where did I say that?   Of course she should.  It's just that it looked a bit strange how it was presented above.  John has clarified it by quoting what the programme said.

I'm not saying she shouldn't;  where did I say that?   Of course she should.  It's just that it looked a bit strange how it was presented above.  John has clarified it by quoting what the programme said.

Sorry Sim, It was rather late at night for an old chap like me and it was from memory. No intention to mislead or cause offense.

• Like 1

No offense whatsoever SPD.....it just looked a bit strange to me as I wasn't there (sadly) and therefore didn't see what the programme said.  John kindly clarified so it all makes sense now!  So glad you enjoyed the performance and I felt very envious of the crowds leaving yesterday as I arrived for Whelan/Watson.  :)

The programme actually said "Concieved by Gailene Stock CBE AM" and then listed 11 choreographers.

Among those 11 choreographers listed was Anatole Grigoriev who, sadly, passed away over seven years ago. He was the teacher of Edward Watson, Robert Tewsley, Chris Wheeldon, Martin Harvey and many others during his 20 years with the RBS. It was him who introduced the Polonaise and Mazurka from "Paquita" to the School's concert.

• Like 1

An exceptionally well balanced programme which showed the students and the school to best advantage.It was very nice to see the White Lodgers in a bit of real choreography.If Mazuka des Enfants became a regular feature of the main stage annual performance, I for one, would not complain.

As has already been said the excerpt from La Bayadere was most impressive throughout. Chisato Katsura who showed exceptional promise last year was even more impressive this year.She is certainly someone to watch out for in the main company.This may sound trivial but it was a great pleasure to see a dancer whose dancing I did not hear as well as seeing it.Serrano's Solor was very elegant and confidant and I look forward to seeing him next year as I do several of other year two dancers.

I know several people who bought tickets for this performance solely because Les Rendezvous was on the programme.I don't think that anyone who was tempted by the promise of Les Rendezvous will have left the theatre disappointed by the performance.The fact that it used the Chappell designs was a real bonus because the floor patterns make total sense with them.The ballet exposes any weaknesses that its dancers may have.The cast made it look effortless and fun.The main couple were very good.Kaho Yanagisawa brought out the Giselle like softness in the Markova role while Joseph Sissens had total command of the Idzikowsky role. Perhaps I missed it but should not he have been blindfolded in his dance with the Four Ladies? The dancers in the Pas de trois Connie Vowles,Scott McKenzie and Killian Smith were excellent. A tonic for the audience and the balletic equivalent of Mozart for the voice. Isn't about time the main company danced it again in this set and costumes?

The other pieces allowed the school to show what its students could do with more modern choreography. Scarlett's Third Movement provided some interesting choreography for a group of dancers drawn from across four years at White Lodge and the opportunity to be part of the creative process.Once again, and this is not a backhanded compliment,Scarlett showed his ability to handle large groups and consummate ease in getting them on and off the stage without the movements being obvious entrances and exits. Terrific for the dancers involved to be working on a new piece by a young choreographer. Kylian's Sech's Tanze is fun but he does not seem to know when a joke has overstayed its welcome.It was well danced, the audience loved it and it leaves me wondering why so few of the mixed bills at Covent Garden are allowed to end with something light and amusing.It is not as if there are no ballets of that type available to the company there. Wheeldon's Rush was well danced and again provided a showcase for its cast but I felt that while it did its job it was not that interesting as a piece of choreography. Whether that was because it was made twelve years ago when Wheeldon was a comparatively inexperienced choreographer or whether it was because it came after the Ashton I can't say.It did its job and we certainly got to see what the dancers cast in it could do.

This was Christopher Powney's first main stage Royal Ballet School's performance.I can;t recall his precise words but I recall that he said in interview soon after he was appointed that he intended to shift the emphasis from technical facility to artistry and performance.The pieces selected for the programme required high levels of technique and artistry and the students delivered.It will be fascinating to see what the school programmes next year.All in all this year's programme gave the feel of a real ballet programme rather than an end of term show.

Edited by FLOSS
  • Like 6

Among those 11 choreographers listed was Anatole Grigoriev who, sadly, passed away over seven years ago. He was the teacher of Edward Watson, Robert Tewsley, Chris Wheeldon, Martin Harvey and many others during his 20 years with the RBS. It was him who introduced the Polonaise and Mazurka from "Paquita" to the School's concert.

And what a wonderful teacher he was , an inspiration to all who were fortunate enough to be taught by him and a charismatic man too, very much missed.

• Like 1

Thankyou so much Barton22 for that video ....David Wall and Ferri together....delicious casting!

This piece for some reason has really caught me! I just love it. I think it's a little gem and should be performed more often.

I saw the same two students Giulia Frosi and Lukas Bjorneboe Braendsrod perform this a couple of months ago in a preview at the RBS and being so close to the dancers there moved me to tears. I still thought it transferred to the big stage really well and surely Giulia Frosi is a star in the making! As she showed great comic talent in Sechs Tanze too.

I'm intrigued .....but probably the wrong thread as to why she has chosen to go to Dresden......not to disparage that company ....I keep hearing great things about it....but just am sure the Royal would have offered her a contract?

I know some young dancers want to go to smaller companies first to get more chance of experience in meatier roles so perhaps this was her choice.

The Rush piece ...which I also saw at the Preview ...I liked better the second time round so perhaps one of those pieces that grows on you but just a tad too long. However I also thought Leticia Domingues,Leo Dixon, Brooke Ray and Kento Sumitani presented exceptionally well in this piece.

Well I said I wouldn't ....as they are still in training .....but have decided to say that I loved Kaho Yanagisawa and Joseph Sissens in the Ashton piece. Just absolutely lovely especially her solo with those tricky little turning back bends ....and that pas de trois looks absolutely knackering to do but the three dancers carried it all off beautifully again with excellent presentation.

I cannot remember when I saw this ballet last ....I'm sure with the Sadlers wells touring company. But anyway didn't mind these costumes that much somehow perfect for young people like these students......perhaps would be a bit twee for older dancers!!

Next July seems an awful long way off!!

• Like 2

This was Christopher Powney's first main stage Royal Ballet School's performance.I can;t recall his precise words but I recall that he said in interview soon after he was appointed that he intended to shift the emphasis from technical facility to artistry and performance.The pieces selected for the programme required high levels of technique and artistry and the students delivered.It will be fascinating to see what the school programmes next year.All in all this year's programme gave the feel of a real ballet programme rather than an end of term show.

The programme certainly did require high levels of artistry and performance. I don't know whether anyone else felt the same, but the hand of the wonderful Daria Klimentova seemed to me to be all over the pas de quatre of the little girls in lilac in La Bayadere. I don't recall a more exquisite line-up than that in all the RB performances I have seen over the years.

And, in addition to all those mentioned above, how about the two small. featured boys in Third Movement? Such stage presence, musicality and joy in dancing.

• Like 3

Bruce,I felt like you about the Chappell costumes until I saw Anthony Ward's redesigns.On reassessing Chappell's designs I found that they weren't that bad after all.I have problems with Ward's costumes as well as his set design.Sets and costumes are supposed to establish the scene and mood of a ballet.Good stage designs prepare the stage for the dancers's performances and make their job easier. The original Chappell costume designs suggested the eighteen forties as photographs of Markova and Idzikowsky in costume show.I can't say that I know whether the later Chappell designs came about because the original ones were impractical,because the originals were lost in the flight from the Germans or for some other reason.But they do at least suggest a time and place other than the twentieth century rather than an indeterminate period between the 1920's and the 1950's.

For me Ward's costumes suggest an unhappy combination of the nineteen twenties and the nineteen fifties.The costumes for the men are too close to the Facade costumes for Popular Song while the girl's dresses with their polka dots suggest the nineteen fifties and their badly designed gloves look like Marigolds.So in the Ward costumes is it a ballet of the smart and flippant twenties or the glamorous nineteen fifties with the pas de quatre closely related to the four girls in Facade? The designer clearly does not know and probably thinks the audience won't notice because it is set in the "olden times".Neither of these periods actually suit the work and neither the boy's costumes nor those for the girls suit the style of the choreography which is concerned more with Ashton's idea of classical dance than the creation of character.

As I understand it the Chappell designs that we saw on Sunday are a redesign from the nineteen forties.The original costumes suggested the eighteen forties.The current Chappell designs are not time specific but they do dress the stage and performers in a way which does not make the stage action and Ashton's very personal take on the danse d'ecole jar in the way that the Ward ones do. As the history of redesigning Ashton's ballets has been so unsatisfactory I would leave things as they are.

• Like 1

Well I saw the RBS show for the first time yesterday and was blown away - those students presented a show far better than some professional shows I have seen and all for £11!!!  Bargain of the ballet year.  My favourite pieces have to be La Bayadere, Sechs Tanze and Chanson.  La Bayadere for its classic dance and glorious costumes, Sechs Tanze for its wit and sheer unusualness (is that a word?!) and Chanson was just a few minutes of sheer beauty it was divine.  For me I found Les Rendezvous and Rush over long but then I am tired from travelling so maybe on a different day I'd have enjoyed them more.  The Grande Defile was great too although I had the pleasure of seeing that at the recent gala at ROH which made me want to see more of RBS.  My friend was in Stalls circle and said that Daria Klimentova was in front of her.  Hats off to whoever chose the pieces for the show they were a fantastic blend of old and new, the whole show was perfect!  11/10 from me :-)

• Like 3

No as far as I can see he did not. Perhaps he is currently injured? He would be at the end of his second year at the RBS.

Perhaps he has not been offered a third year so has returned to Japan or has been offered work with a company.

I remember him from the Prix de Lausanne in 2013 and he was a very good dancer.....probably why offered his RBS place but don't know whether about to do a third year there or not but definitely not listed as a dancer in my programme.

• Like 1

Thanks for the info.

I had thought for a while that he had entered the RBS in the second year as earlier in the year I came across a picture of RBS students in what looked like 3rd year uniform with him in it but later found out he is (or should be) a current second year.

I thought he was outstanding in the prix and in other competitions from that year so I was looking forward to seeing how he would develop as a dancer at the RBS and beyond. I hope he'll be returning next year!

• Like 1

He is listed as a second year Upper student though.

He must be injured I think

I am not sure whether he is injured (certainly is possible, and if so I hope he recovers soon), but as it is rarely feasible to get every upper school student on stage for the year end performances I wonder whether it may just be that there wasn't a suitable role for him in this year's rep.  The noticeable roles for second year men were ones that really needed taller chaps.

Edited by barton22

Another brother who did not feature in any of the performances this year is Lorenzo Silingardi, also a second year student.

Daniele has been with ENB for 2 years and was, among other things, cast as Paris in R&J at the Royal Albert Hall last summer.

And, talking of relations, there are some 'interesting' surnames within the lower school lists as well.

• Like 1