Royal Ballet School: Annual Performance 2015

Yes, definitely brothers.

Would he not have been in the grand defile anyway if not selected for a role?

Even if so, are you saying that there are students who don't get to perform in the summer performance just because rep has been chosen which doesn't have a role suitable for them? Surely everyone should get a least a corps role?

• Like 2

Another brother who did not feature in any of the performances this year is Lorenzo Silingardi, also a second year student.

After I posted about Simon it struck me that Lorenzo had also not been mentioned in anyone's review (a surprise as he is also outstanding) so I was going to ask about him too! Any news on him?

I didn't see Naomi's post before. Thanks for the info, I hope he recovers quickly!

After I posted about Simon it struck me that Lorenzo had also not been mentioned in anyone's review (a surprise as he is also outstanding) so I was going to ask about him too! Any news on him?

I didn't see Naomi's post before. Thanks for the info, I hope he recovers quickly!

Lorenzo is definitely out for injury.  He came on for the very end of the defile, though.

• Like 1

I can't imagine the management leaving out student dancers because there was not a suitable role though. They would build that in surely.......imagine just three students left out.....who were NOT injured. I thought I recognised that name Silingardi of course his brother dances with ENB.

Luckily looks like a simple explanation and hope they both recover soon......what a shame we did not see them. hopefully next year!

• Like 1

This was my first time watching school performances, and I'm not sure that I have seen anything as joyous as the Grand Defile before. The sheer energy and excitement of the students, the swirling of groups passing each other with perfect timing and the at this point exuberant audience created a rather wonderful atmosphere. I'm pretty much in awe of these very dedicated and talented children and young adults. I was mainly sulking in my bedroom or pretending to read Sartre at their age....

The children's Mazurka was a delightful overdose of cuteness, Sechs Taenze made me wish the main company danced more work like that (either amusing or Kylian would do me nicely) and I strongly agree with a comment made upstream about Scarlett's ability to choreograph large groups - the formations looked awesome from my perch at the top of the house, but also worked from close by in the Linbury. The two little guys dancing in 3rd Movement really were quite the scene stealers - quite an achievement given that the other dancers weren't slouches themselves.

I suspect this will become a fixture in my calendar.

If we clapped like crazy loons, would they do an encore of the defile?  Has an encore ever been done before?

I love seeing the progression of artistry and technique as the kids get older in what must be 5min of "fast forward" condensed ballet evolution.  It's so exciting to watch and far to short...leaves you wanting more!

• Like 1