Ballet in the Cinema 2015-16

Katherine in another forum has just made an announcement and I thought there might be some here who would be interested:

Pathe Live has given first indications of the Bolshoi's next cinema season.

October 11 - Giselle
November 8 - Jewels (repeat)
December 6 - The Lady of the Camellias
December 20 - The Nutcracker (repeat)
January 24 - The Taming of the Shrew
March 13 - Spartacus (repeat)
April 10 - Don Quixote

https://www.facebook...?type=1

So pleased that they are doing The Taming of the Shrew.  I'm intrigued to see it after the YouTube enticement and last year's World Ballet Day.  With any luck it might have its original cast. 

• Like 2

This looks great- am keen to book as I have greatly enkoyed his year, but my cinema-Picturehouse- is currently having major problems with its website( like most organisations I seem to deal with!) Have the other chains put them on sale yet?

If it's the Picturehouse which has been having problems with its website - I got the impression that it's only the one branch, for some reason - then there's no problem. You can do a walk-up 5 minutes before the start and get a ticket. Not that I would advise it, given their usual inability to process tickets fast at that box office :)

• 1 month later...

Vienna State Opera/Ballet have announced their simulcast season for 2015/16.  There are two ballet items; one Ashton.  Just a reminder these are web-streams.  You can watch them at a selected number of times after the initial live relay juncture.  

Sunday, December 27, 2015 - Ashton's La Fille mal gardée
Wednesday, March 23, 2016 - Manuel Legris' staging of Le Corsaire

https://www.staatsop...ve.com/en/live/

Edited by Bruce Wall

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

So the Royal Ballet cinema venues are on the ROH website and I see the nearest cinema is in Philadelphia (150 miles away). Guess I won't be going. Of course the Bolshoi is in the local cinemas, so who needs the Royal anyway. Sigh...

Edited by Melody
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone else noticed that there are two Royal Ballet Giselle performances marked on the ROH website as "Filming"? I thought it was being filmed on 6th April (Nunez/Muntagirov cast), but now the 31st March performance (same cast) is also marked as " Filming". Is this a mistake? Or are they really filming it twice - and if so, why?

Presumably filming is different from live broadcast.  If the film is then going to be put onto DVD then yes it makes sense to have two performances which can be edited to cater for any problems.

That makes sense, but I wonder if it is going to DVD, since the last two recordings were not so long ago, 2005 (Rojo/Acosta) and 2012 (Cuthbertson/Bonelli). Two performances filmed still seems a bit risky - I think I've seen camera crews film three performances to be sure.

They normally film twice.  The first time around serves as rehearsal, as well as back-up in case of disaster.  

But it wouldn't be a live performance as advertised - would that create some trouble for the RB if they sent out a pre-recorded performance instead? 

But what happens if, for example, the live streaming goes wrong - at least the cinema audiences would get the same (albeit not live) performance that they have booked for.  Or if, heaven forfend, something happens on stage and the performance has to be stopped.

I think recording (as though it was being live streamed) an earlier performance with the same cast is a sensible insurance.

<That makes sense, but I wonder if it is going to DVD, since the last two recordings were not so long ago, 2005 (Rojo/Acosta) and 2012 (Cuthbertson/Bonelli). Two performances filmed still seems a bit risky - I think I've seen camera crews film three performances to be sure.>

True, but there has been such a demand for the last few streamed versions to go onto DVD that maybe they are anticipating that? It seems people don't mind having different versions of the same ballet if they like the performers. I hope it does go to DVD; there is not enough Vadim on film (barring La Corsaire).

It's standard to film a previous version as backup: I can't imagine what a "different purpose" might be.  And if they don't have any film of the correct partnership available they do sometimes take footage from the earlier recording to illustrate some of the pre-performance items.

I see there is a matinee performance of the Rhapsody double bill being filmed on Saturday 16th January with a different cast. This is in addition to the 2 performances of the Osipova/Mcrae Rhapsody being filmed slightly later. Intriguing....