• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's been a while since they've done the Nureyev R&J, and there's been quite a turnover in dancers who might be cast in the leading roles since last time.  Perhaps Tamara Rojo is waiting until she's sure of who will be doing what, and when?  Or of course there may always be injuries/absences which change things.

How can the RB cast so early, and yet ENB cannot make an announcement for a performance less than a month away? I'm also probably more influenced by their casting in my booking choice than any other company, so it makes it very difficult. I have no objection to changes in casting that are made necessary by injury, etc.

I wouldn't mind, but tickets for Bristol seem to be selling well, and it's hard to make a decision. I guess I shall have to rely on the old first and last night's having the first cast.

But when it comes to ENB and Romeo and Juliet, there are at least two first casts... :-)

ENB are generally better at casting announcements than most BRB are terrible leaving it to about 2 weeks before so it's always pot luck with them and infuriatingly so! I often find ENB put their top dancer (Alina) on first night not necessarily last, and nearly always it is Irina Takahashi for Saturday matinées in my experience. Hope you get to see the cast you want.

ENB are generally better at casting announcements than most BRB are terrible leaving it to about 2 weeks before so it's always pot luck with them and infuriatingly so! I often find ENB put their top dancer (Alina) on first night not necessarily last, and nearly always it is Irina Takahashi for Saturday

matinées in my experience. Hope you get to see the cast you want.

Thank you. But I was just wondering that you named AIina

Cojocaru as their top dancer, I would have thought that Tamara Rojo would have been considered on a par with Alina?

As it takes several ‘goes’ to access all the casting information on the ENB website, I have reproduced it for the 4 main characters below. These are in the order Romeo, Juliet, Mercutio, and Tybalt

Bristol:

14th Oct. eve: Hernandez; Cojocaru; Corrales; Streeter

15th Oct. mat: Acosta; Takahashi; Saruhashi; Souza

15th Oct. eve: Berlanga; Cao; Bufala; Reimair

16th Oct. eve: Souza; Summerscales; Corrales; Streeter

17th Oct. mat: Berlanga; Cao; Bufala; Reimair

17th Oct. eve: Hernandez; Takahashi; Acosta; Souza

Milton Keynes:

[ 20th Oct: Lest We Forget: Rojo/Souza; Stott/McSherry-Gray; Rojo/Streeter]

22nd Oct. eve:  Hernandez; Takahashi; Corrales; Streeter

23rd Oct. mat: Westwell; McWhinney; Lapetra; Bufala

23rd Oct. eve: Souza; Summerscales; Saruhashi’ Streeter

24th Oct. mat: Acosta; Takahashi; Corrales; Souza

24th Oct. eve: Berlanga; Cao; Bufala; Reimair

Southampton:

28th Oct. eve: Berlanga; Cao; Bufala; Reimair

29th Oct. mat: Westwell, McWhinney; Lapetra; Kraus

29th Oct. eve: Acosta; Takahashi; Saruhashi; Bufala

30th Oct. eve: Berlanga; Cao; Bufala; Reimair

31st Oct. mat: Souza; Summerscales; Acosta; Streeter

31st Oct. eve: Hernandez; Takahashi; Corrales; Streeter

[Liverpool: casting for Le Corsaire not yet announced – week beg. 16th Nov.]

Manchester:

[24th Nov. Lest We Forget: Cao/Souza; Stott/McSherry-Gray; Takahashi/Bufala]

26th Nov. eve: Hernandez; Cojocaru; Bufala; Streeter

27th Nov. mat: Westwell; McWhinney; Lapetra; Kraus

27th Nov. eve: Souza Summerscales; Corrales; Streeter

28th Nov. mat: Acosta; Takahashi; Saruhashi; Bufala

28th Nov. eve: Souza; Cao; Corrales, Reimair

I hope that I have managed to copy it all correctly - (with reference to dates announced previously!). Casting for Benvolio, Rosaline and Paris is also on the ENB website (see link in post above).

Interestingly, there are Friday matinees (rather than Thursday ones) in both Milton Keynes and Manchester.

Edited by alison
Amended casting - in bold
  • Like 3

I thought they might be announced today, as they will have only just got back from abroad yesterday. Yes, I am very disappointed that I won't see Rojo, but am excited to see Alina on the Wednesday night in Bristol. Maybe Rojo is injured (or just too tired!). In some ways, in not sorry, as I carry always in my mind my all time perfect R and J, Rojo and Acosta at the ROH. I'm not sure I want to see her Juliet to anyone else!

Am I alone in thinking that it is such a lot of work for Cojocaru to do to prepare for her debut in Nureyev's production of R&J and then to have only ONE performance in this series of that version's presentations during this crucial tour which, as defined, is a core part of ENB's life-blood.  Certainly Cojacaru had more runs at the Deane version at the RAH if I remember correctly.  Was it not three or four in a shorter time span?  I re-read this schedule three times thinking that I must be mistaken ... and even now I find it hard to believe that I am not.  

Very much looking forward to Corrales' Mercutio.  That should be exciting.  

Delighted to see Cao retored to rightful prominence.  After those vibrantly stunning performances in SOMEWHERE IN THE MIDDLE one can certainly see why.  Drama personified they were.  

Edited by Bruce Wall

Disappointed that Cojocaru seems only to be doing the press night.  And wondering if Rojo may think this version doesn't suit her so well - I can see Alina in it rather more than Tamara.  Delighted that Berlanga is guesting, but sorry that so many of his perfs are evening ones, given that I can't get home from Bristol in the evenings at all and would I assume still have to duck out halfway through Act III to get home from Southampton.

Am I alone in thinking that it is such a lot of work for Cojocaru to do to prepare for her debut in Nureyev's production of R&J and then to have only ONE performance in this series of that version's presentations during this crucial tour which, as defined, is a core part of ENB's life-blood.  

No.  I assume she has guesting commitments elsewhere: can anyone confirm?

Given how men heavy the ballet is I'm surprised to see the cast drawn from such a small group of men, particularly when there are so many performances. Let's hope that there are no injuries as that will put a huge strain on the other dancers (and some are cast in more than one role). I'm surprised to see no Vireilles (has he left as he doesn't seem to have been cast in anything for ages?), Forbat or Lukovkin. I'm also disappointed to see no debut as Juliet by Kase or Ovsyanick. Regarding Rojo, she is performing in Lest We Forget and I expect that she will dance in Corsaire as well. No doubt she is busy with planning the new triple bill in April as well.

• Like 1

Surprised and disappointed that my favourite Mercutio, Anton Lukovkin, isn't down for the role this time around.

Sometimes the choices of Artistic Directors do not accord with our own, alas. In this case, it is worth remembering (I think that I am correct here) that Lukovkin won the Audience Choice Award the year that he last danced Mercutio in the Nureyev version. So that is a lovely accolade for him to remember.

• Like 1

And there's the welcome return of Esteban Berlanga as a guest artist.

It's very nice that Berlanga is dancing Romeo especially has, having been the 'poster boy' for the last runs of both the Nureyev and the Deane R&Js, he did not actually perform the role - in the first case through injury.

• Like 2

With regard to some of the comments regarding names missing from the cast list, Virelles and Fernanda Oliveira both suffered knee injuries during the China tour and have undergone surgery which will keep them from performing for several more months.  Ovsyanick also broke a bone in her foot on the same tour.  She had hoped to be fit enough for the trip to Barcelona but sadly had to pull out of that to do more remedial work.  Much as I would have loved to see her Juliet or even Rosaline, I think it is probably too soon for her to undertake such demanding roles but hopefully we can look forward to seeing her later in the season in 'Corsaire' and 'Nutcracker'.  As to Rojo, she is far from injured, having just wowed the audiences in Barcelona, but I understand she decided not to take on what would have been at least her third version of Juliet.

• Like 2