• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes thank you Irmgard. Speedy recovery to all. As I said earlier, I am also quite glad that Tamara Rojo hadn't taken on another Juliet, because I can now hold intact the memory of her as the perfect Juliet with Carlos Acosta's Romeo in my all time favourite ballet at the ROH in 2012.

Am I alone in thinking that it is such a lot of work for Cojocaru to do to prepare for her debut in Nureyev's production of R&J and then to have only ONE performance in this series of that version's presentations during this crucial tour which, as defined, is a core part of ENB's life-blood.  Certainly Cojacaru had more runs at the Deane version at the RAH if I remember correctly.  Was it not three or four in a shorter time span?  I re-read this schedule three times thinking that I must be mistaken ... and even now I find it hard to believe that I am not. 

You were not mistaken, but the schedule was wrong. Cojocaru is now dancing on the 26th in Manchester.

I'm sorry (and surprised) Rojo is not dancing her third version of Romeo and Juliet but I'm happy Cojocaru is dancing her (at least) fifth version

Given that things have now changed and Alina Cojocaru will dance Juliet in Manchester on 26th Nov (not Erina Takahashi), would it be a good idea for a Mod. to please amend the casting listed at post #20 (above)? Many thanks.

Edited by capybara

I wish ENB were bringing this production to London. :-( I would love to see Max Westwell as Romeo.

I managed to make a work trip to Manchester fit with being able to see Max as Romeo and now can see Alina as Juliet too the night before as my train gets in with time to check in, eat and get to the theatre. Hurrah!

• Like 3

I managed to make a work trip to Manchester fit with being able to see Max as Romeo and now can see Alina as Juliet too the night before as my train gets in with time to check in, eat and get to the theatre. Hurrah!

How lovely - please report back so I may enjoy it by proxy! :-)

• 3 weeks later...

ENB has put up a tweet on its website saying that Max Westwell will dance Romeo tonight in place of Junior Souza. Daniele Silingardi replaces Max as Paris. (Obviously hoping that Junor is OK, but I can't help thinking that,at last, an original Paris 'gets the girl'. Ha ha :-)

• Like 3

I was surprised to see that Max was due to dance R when I got to the theatre in Bristol on Friday night, as I was expecting Junor Souza, but I thought he was an extremely touching Romeo.

The thing that surprises me though, is in a situation like this, why do they replace just one part of the partnership? Wouldn't it make more sense to swap the couples, ie for Max Westwell to have danced with Alison McWhinney (with whom he has presumably rehearsed) and for Lauretta Somerscales and Junor Souza to have taken their slot later in the run, when he might have been recovered?

What a huge ask of anyone to have to dance Romeo at the last moment. Full credit to Max Westwell and Lauretta Somerscales, as you would not have had any idea from watching them that they had not been intended to partner each other. Do diff Rs and Js rehearse with each other, I wonder, in case of such an eventuality?

I was surprised to see that Max was due to dance R when I got to the theatre in Bristol on Friday night, as I was expecting Junor Souza, but I thought he was an extremely touching Romeo.

The thing that surprises me though, is in a situation like this, why do they replace just one part of the partnership? Wouldn't it make more sense to swap the couples, ie for Max Westwell to have danced with Alison McWhinney (with whom he has presumably rehearsed) and for Lauretta Somerscales and Junor Souza to have taken their slot later in the run, when he might have been recovered?

Companies do sometimes change both leads or even a whole group (cf Mayerling many years ago when Cope replaced Kobborg and all the women from his cast were also replaced and an explanation given before the start).

However, there may be a number of reasons why this wasn't done in the case of Laurretta Summerscales and Junor Souza/Max Westwell. For example, Laurretta had been featured in and on local media as making her debut that week and one summises that management clearly thought there was sufficient time for the new partnership to rehearse. Moreover, the kind of switch and slotting in which you suggest begins to look difficult if one scans the casting in other venues. If Max Westwell continues to have two Juliets, he will be a very busy (and tired) Romeo. He is also scheduled to dance both Benvolio and Paris throughout the tour.

The ENB website is now showing that Max Westwell will be partnering Laurretta Summerscales in both Milton Keynes and Southampton. This appears to have led to them dancing on Sat 24th (eve) - i.e. swapping places with Begona Cao and Esteban Berlanga, who now dance on the 23rd (eve).

Then I would have been a very unhappy bunny

i.e. swapping places with Begona Cao and Esteban Berlanga, who now dance on the 23rd (eve).

Blast.  That clashes with Frankie Hayward's performance at the ROH :(  And I see they're doing evening performances only at the Mayflower.  If they'd been on matinee days so there were 2 performances, I'd have gone down and risked it, but it's not really worth it just for two acts, given how much South West Trains charge.

Then I would have been a very unhappy bunny

Alison McWhinney is going to be a lovely Juliet, Tony.

Blast.  That clashes with Frankie Hayward's performance at the ROH :(  And I see they're doing evening performances only at the Mayflower.  If they'd been on matinee days so there were 2 performances, I'd have gone down and risked it, but it's not really worth it just for two acts, given how much South West Trains charge.

Begona and Esteban did dance the Sat matinee in Bristol. Agree about the problem with getting back from Milton Keynes as well as Southampton. I realise now that, when ENB performed R&J 5 years ago, missing the last act became the norm for me.

Agreed, I will be seeing her in Manchester

Begona and Esteban did dance the Sat matinee in Bristol. Agree about the problem with getting back from Milton Keynes as well as Southampton. I realise now that, when ENB performed R&J 5 years ago, missing the last act became the norm for me.

Yes, effectively the last train home for me is 10 pm - which is I think 10 minutes later than it used to be, so that's something.  It's ridiculous that it will cost me more than twice as much for a quick trip down to Soton as it does to get to Birmingham.  Actually, I'm wondering if I could risk changing at Clapham Junction really late at night and going to Victoria ...

Yes, effectively the last train home for me is 10 pm - which is I think 10 minutes later than it used to be, so that's something.  It's ridiculous that it will cost me more than twice as much for a quick trip down to Soton as it does to get to Birmingham.  Actually, I'm wondering if I could risk changing at Clapham Junction really late at night and going to Victoria ...

I think there are trains in both directions to/from Victoria all night from Clapham Junction.

Yes, but I also think they're probably only hourly on the Gatwick service, and they don't connect with anything else, as I recall.  Getting a cab back home from either East Croydon or Clapham Junction would cost me an arm and a leg, and I don't think the night buses go anywhere near me now.

I think the trains go at eight minutes past the hour or thereabouts from Clapham.  Don't forget a mini cab is a lot cheaper than a black cab.  The black cab fare is about £8-£9 to my place from E. Croydon (more at weekends) but the last time I took a mini cab, they charged me £4.

Oh: can anyone get this to work? http://www.southwesttrains.co.uk/summer.aspx#172733  I can't online - may need to talk to a human being.  There's nothing to say it doesn't work between London and Soton.

Now appears to be working :)  So effectively I could do the whole trip for around £25 ... might be worth reconsidering.

I've justy highlighted and enlarged capybara's cast-change post No. 58 above in the hopes of making it easier to spot for someone quickly scrolling down the page.  I originally did it in red, but then realised that may not be helpful for anyone who is red-green colourblind!

Any feedback?  Does it work?  Is it reasonably easy to spot and read?  Please post any comments in this thread http://www.balletcoforum.com/index.php?/topic/10891-highlighting-text-in-posts/, rather than clutter up the existing thread. 

• 3 weeks later...

There have been several changes to the originally advertised casting for Romeo and Juliet in Manchester. It is now showing on the ENB website as follows (in the order Juliet/Romeo/Mercutio):

Thurs 26th Nov: Cojocaru/Hernandez/Bufala

Frid. 27th Nov (mat 2.30): Cao/Forbat/Lapetra

Frid 27th Nov (eve) : McWhinney/Westwell/Corrales

Sat 28th Nov. (mat 2.30): Takahashi/Acosta/Bufala

Sat 28th Nov. (eve): Summerscales/Westwell/Corrales

There have been several changes to the originally advertised casting for Romeo and Juliet in Manchester. It is now showing on the ENB website as follows (in the order Juliet/Romeo/Mercutio):

Oh dear. I booked a trp to Manchester specially to see Max as Romeo on Friday afternoon and cannot switch to the evening performance :-( Edited by Jamesrhblack

I have just noticed further changes on the ENB website to the casting of Mercutio: 

Frid 27th (eve): Yonah Acosta (not Cesar Corrales)

Sat 28th (eve): Fernando Bufala (not Cesar Corrales)

So, unfortunately, Manchester audiences will not now see Cesar in what has quickly become 'his' role.