Pointing toes in ballet

aisha

11 hours ago, Kate_N said:

Also, sometimes people mistake scrunching up their toes for 'pointing' their toes - bare feet will help your teacher see if you're making that basic mistake. Focus on stretching your ankles, and trying to keep that line straight through your foot, and your toes spread out and long. 

Kate has a point here (if you'll excuse the pun!). Perhaps you are concentrating so hard on remembering to point your toes, that you aren't pointing your whole foot. 

Maybe try this: sit on the floor with your legs straight out in front of you and your feet relaxed and not pointed. Now keeping your toes relaxed, straighten & point your whole foot from the ankle. Then point your toes, keeping them long and straight. Do you get my drift? That's the sensation you need to feel, and the way to do it without scrunching or clenching your toes.

When you are dancing, your ankles straighten and the feet begins to point as soon as your heels leave the ground and the toes finish the point last, as they lose contact with the floor.

Edited by taxi4ballet
edited for spelling

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually something did occur to me Aisha are your shoes proper ballet shoes? Or are you wearing some kind of running shoe or other more gym type shoe because if you are perhaps then it is genuinely more difficult for the teacher to see what you are doing with your feet.....it is much easier if people are wearing a ballet shoe. 

I say this as some beginners don't buy the ballet shoes for a while until they are sure they are going to attend regularly etc.

I think you will soon be the class expert in toe/ foot pointing!!

• Like 1

I too was wondering what type of shoes you were wearing - but from the point of view of how they fit around your toes, and whether they constrict you.  Are they giving you enough room to get all your toes flat on the floor?  My feet are very broad at the toe, and I find it quite difficult to find shoes which allow my feet to do that.

• Like 1

Ah, those really are regular shoes taking their design style from ballet shoes. You need to buy a pair of ballet shoes - no heel, either canvas or a soft leather....does you’d teacher sell shoes or have a box of second hand ones at the studio to try a pair? They are inexpensive & if you have stuck it out for more than 5. Lasses in these or bare feet then wearing proper ballet shoes will be a total revelation & bliss I expect!

I love the ones called ‘Chacott’ stocked by Freeds of London (available on store & online) & most Freed stockists. They are lovely snug fit but do seem to stretch where needed to mound to foot (give good definition so teacher & you will be able to see what your toes are doing inside shie!) They are a ballet pink colour in canvas with a split sole.... I know teachers prefer beginner children to have full leather soles but as an adult I think wear what feels comfortable, makes your feet look best, makes your point more defined & most of all, makes you feel like a dancer! These also come with elastics pre-sewn cross cross in just the right place - a real bonus not to have to sew 👍🏻

I think this is your next point of action Aisha & good luck!

BTW, if you cannot easily get to a store to try on pairs, then call & speak to a shop & they will be able to advise on fit based on current shoe size/width (outdoor shoe sizes are not always same one needed in ballet shoes) or even suggest you draw round each foot on a piece of paper & send to them so they can post out the best shoes.... it will be money well spent! One beginner on our adult class kept being told by teacher ‘ no need to go to the expense of baller shoes just yet’ & took that to mean she wasn’t good enough to have proper ballet shoes or that the teacher thought she was wasting her time & money doing class.... not so of course, teacher just always very conscious of costs & money pressure on families.. but this lady was just desperate to get into the proper shoes to feel like a dancer! And now she has them they look lovely on her feet! 

Most new hobbies or sports require us to have the basic correct equipment to start out in.... the shoes your mum bought you are lovely to wear to & from class or when watching the ballet bit you NEED proper ballet flats (dancer term) for your classes!

Loads if brands of course.... but nest starting point is teacher/studio stock, nearest dance stockist - check first they they supply ballet shoes as sine may be just ballroom or similar - or the internet....in which case try a major brand as global availability such as Freed, Bloch, Capezio

• Like 2

I think that's your problem right there @aisha! Those are fashion shoes called 'ballet flats' or 'ballet pumps' but they are meant for wearing with jeans and a tshirt and not for actually wearing to a ballet class. You need to go to a dance store and ask for some ballet shoes, they'll look a bit like this (oh yikes sorry for the size it won't let me make it smaller!) sd16_1.jpg

See how nicely she is able to point her toes? It's because the shoe is designed for pointing your toes. I know that it can seem expensive, but canvas ballet shoes are generally a little bit cheaper and they'll last quite a while since you're not dancing much. Unfortunately, your mum can't go to the store to buy these ones for you because they need to fit your feet really well. You should go to the dance store and get properly fitted for ballet shoes, it will make pointing your toes 100% easier and you hopefully won't need to go barefoot anymore. And you can use your black pumps next time you go out for dinner, so they won't be wasted :) 

• Like 4

Oh goodness me! No wonder your teacher asked you to go barefoot! Those are not proper ballet shoes - they're street shoes (and incidentally not actually very good for your feet & walking gait - not enough support). 

Until you can afford proper ballet shoes (which cost around £13 in my experience), wear socks. Please don't dance in those shoes - you can't dance properly and they're terrible for a proper ballet studio floor. No wonder your teacher preferred you in bare feet.

• Like 5

Oh no i never realised how wrong they are as i have done a ballet class and my mum did ask for dancing pumps and was told they were fine.

As i started the class three weeks later than the others i think the dance centre did get ballet pumps ordered or sold them to the people who started the class on the first week. Socks are not allowed so i will do it with my barefeet for now. Just spent my savings on my first car hence my mother going out and getting pumps for me ( bless her). I wont say anything as she did mean well.

• Like 2

The irony is the proper ballet shoes will probably have cost you less than these fashion shoes!

What do the other students in your class wear .....do some have proper ballet shoes.

Those shoes are fine for an evening out etc but in a ballet class not even sure how they would stay on your feet!! 

just saw your above post Aisha....your  mum was only doing her best for you not her fault at all!! You can just make a bit of a joke about it all and you can still wear the shoes when you want to anyway.

But hey Aisha Christmas is coming!! 

Edited by LinMM
  • Like 3

33 minutes ago, LinMM said:

The irony is the proper ballet shoes will probably have cost you less than these fashion shoes!

What do the other students in your class wear .....do some have proper ballet shoes.

Those shoes are fine for an evening out etc but in a ballet class not even sure how they would stay on your feet!! 

just saw your above post Aisha....your  mum was only doing her best for you not her fault at all!! You can just make a bit of a joke about it all and you can still wear the shoes when you want to anyway.

But hey Aisha Christmas is coming!! 

Yes my mum meant well and i should have went with her when she got the pumps as i would have went to a dance shop.. I did notice when i went barefoot that i moved much better but having never done ballet never thought about footwear. Do you mean ballet pumps for my xmas ha ha? I will not dare ask for pumps again lol. 

• Like 1

Thanks for all the help people on here give as I am new to ballet classes and was a bit clueless on certain aspects, but have learned a lot just reading posts and have now looked up some great dance websites which I wish I had done before. I am loving trying out ballet, as only did things like Zumba before which is also good in a totally different way.

As for the pumps I was wearing for ballet, I think they will make a nice shoe/pump for going out with as some have suggested and suffice to say I will leave them at home when I go to Ballet class tomorrow. .  May need some nice nail polish for my toes though ha ha. xx

All I would add to the excellent advice you’ve been given is that just like regular shoes, you really need to try different makes of ballet shoes on before you buy them, so even if your Mum had got the right type of ballet flats, they may not have fitted you. ☺️ Some makes are better for wide feet, some better for narrow feet, but they aren’t expensive at all and you shouldn’t pay more than around £20 which is the top end.  

Are you in or near a city which has one or more dancewear shops? 

• Like 1

Hello,

Yes we have a few dance shops not too far away. For just now I will have to do it with my barefeet as got class tomorrow so will go barefoot from the start as I wont even take the original shoes with me now that I know better.

I will wait a bit to get proper ballet pumps as my mother did buy the original pumps with best intent and I was pleased when she gave them to me so do not want her to feel bad thinking she got the wrong shoes. I think asking for some dance things at Christmas is a good idea then I could always go to the dance shops to try things on and by that time I can say I could do with new pumps. We don't really wear a uniform though normally black shorts or leggings are worn with black top but the rules to what we wear are not rigid though on visitors/ open day we will try and be the same as much as possible.

• Like 1

Glad you got it sorted and realised it was the ballet shoes that were wrong, rather than keep doing classes in them.

The only thing is you will have to do the classes barefoot now.

It might be good if you got some more ballet pumps before Christmas though as that is a lot of classes away from now. It is a good idea to go to a dance shop and get the one's that will be suited to you.

• Like 1

Yes, If I had been more patient and went to a class first then the teacher would have maybe advised me about ballet pumps, but instead I wanted before I went so my mum went out and got pumps what we thought were okay but now I have seen all the proper ballet pumps I know better know so will not wear the original ones for dance anymore.

I will have to do classes barefoot whether I like it or not which is my own fault for not wanting to wait and get proper ballet pumps. Not asking or getting new pumps yet as my mum thinks the ones she got are fine. Have done the classes more or less barefoot up until now anyway.

Once I got over going barefoot I must admit it did feel better than having the original pumps on so will carry on like that.

Don't worry too much Aisha.

Some of the beginners here in Brighton often dance for about six months without proper ballet shoes. They usually wear just socks initially. Socks are definitely fine for the barre but you do have to be a bit careful in centre work if the floor is a bit slippery then it may be best to be barefoot. Some floors aren't too bad ....but have to say most of the ones I dance on are on the slippery as opposed to non slippery side!! 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Getting on so much better now that i found out that those pumps were not for ballet. Teacher happy with progress so it does come with practice as people posted. ☺️

On 02/10/2018 at 12:16, LinMM said:

Will look forward to hearing eventually about your very first pair of ballet shoes. Meanwhile keep up the good work!

• Like 4

That's great that you are finding your feet ( excuse the pun). 

It really just takes time and practice and you seem to be enjoying the dancing which is the main thing. Did you manage to get or find new suitable ballet pumps. 

Happy dancing!

• Like 2

Can you not get pumps sooner, just that I got blisters dancing barefoot for a short time. 

Not been doing dance for as long as others on here but my guess is that pumps are a much safer option, especially doing any jumps etc and with summer over the floors will be possibly be colder.

Not really looked yet, but to be honest after wearing the wrong footwear to start with I am now used to barefeet and it is like a comfort zone as that is the way I have always done the class and wary of changing as i feel i have improved a fair bit. Will start looking nearer Xmas as that would nice to get for a present.

• 2 weeks later...

A couple of things to consider:

• Don't be self conscious of being the only person in the class with bare feet.  If you have a teacher who tailors her class to each individual in this way you will learn quicker.
  • It may help to think about stretching your feet rather than pointing them
  • A good point depends partly on the structure of your foot, but also on strength, which will come with time and work.  Don't be hard on yourself.  Give yourself time to become stronger and enjoy the process.

Thanks, I did dislike being barefoot to start with but really do not mind now as I am used to it now. I did feel self conscious about a few things to start with but after getting to know the other girls I really like going now and feel I am improving:). I suppose a lot of us feel like this to start but practice can make it better.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So excited, got people coming to see our performance next week so have got my first dance shorts and top from my grandmother, same as the picture....early xmas pressie. We all wearing black as no real uniform so been getting lots of practice.

We stop for 3 weeks over Xmas and new year:unsure: so will be good to have people see what we have been doing.

Image result for ballet shorts and top

Thanks alot. So looking forward to wearing new shorts and top. We are not on for long ( about 20 minutes maybe as it is also an open night for a couple of other classes/ clubs that run) so great idea to have us all on the same day.😉

• Like 1