What are you doing this weekend?

annaliesey

I only wish DD would let us help her with revision. She will occasionally ask to be tested but otherwise says it's her job as they are her exams and that she would rather get on with it on her own.

I know this bodes well for the future and for her university career - and she has always been very self-contained and more than able to manage academics, ballet, music and sports so it's entirely in character - but it would be nice to be needed on a practical level occasionally!

That's all I get to do Legseleven.  Test her after she has learned all she needs to know.  She spends hours and hours in her room and then will come downstairs and ask to be put through her paces.  Think that the majority of dancers are very organised and self-contained where academics are concerned as they have always fir them around dance.

• Like 1

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

To follow on from Janet's topic, my favourite place in the whole world is the Yorkshire Sculpture Park.  I started going about 20 years ago, as I could look at the Barbara Hepworths while the children rolled down the bank and ran around enjoying themselves.  I've seen it grow and change over the years but still love it with a passion.  I now take my teenage+ children and their partners (they know a condition of coming to stay is going to the park, and seem happy to indulge me) and it is still magical.  The Hepworths and the Moores are still there and the quality of the seasonal exhibitions is usually very high.

I think you can get a bus to and from the Sculpture Park to the Hepworth Gallery at certain times of the week.

• Like 2

I will pay any money and go anywhere to avoid sleepovers, particularly 'group' sleepovers. Annaliesey, you have a good excuse: your son is doing his A Levels and mustn't have his sleep disturbed. That should fend off requests for a few weeks!

Oh I'm dragging that excuse out for all its worth!!

I end up wanting to go to sleep before her! She's not the liveliest of people up at 7am to have hair gelled into ballet bun after chatting and eating haribos for 4 consecutive hours! I understand she wants "little girl time" but I dread sleepovers as they just involve no sleep whatsoever. We've settled at the moment for girls-night-in instead where friends will come round, eat popcorn, mess about then I take them home 10pm!

Cannot go this year as saying goodbye to our Saturday ballet teacher of the last five years as she is going to live in Berlin for a while.

Might make Jane Eyre on Wednesday in Ricmond though.

On Thursday afternoon I started watching the 1977 film Jesus of Nazareth,directed by Franco Zeffirelli and starring Robert Powell. The complete film's on You Tube. No idea what made me start watching it. It lasts for six and a half hours ,hence the reason I am watching it in segments. I remember it was made into a mini series for the TV around the same time. Remember at the time crying buckets when Jesus was crucified. Robert Powell was SO handsome when he was young ! [i also really liked him in the remake of the Thirty Nine Steps and in the comedy The Detectives with Jasper Carrott,which was a spin off from a sketch in Jasper's own show.]

• Like 4

Well tonight enjoyed a bit of a celebratory drink at the Lamb in Lewes whilst "cousin AVI" the band played some good funky rock and reggae numbers!!!

This is because last night out next door neighbour came round and said did we want the good news or the bad news first!

Well the bad news was that our car had a flat tyre .......good job we've got one of those battery operated pump things.....but the good news was that they are NOT now going ahead with their extension after all.

It's become too expensive apparently. I'm not sure if this is just for this year or forever so to speak. But yippee we will still have our view for at least another year. I think planning permission lasts for three years so they could still do it in the future but it didn't sound like it the way he was talking. Perhaps they expected constant sunshine down here on the South Coast ( they're from Rochdale) but no such luck it's been as dismal here as everywhere else .....except Liverpool I think!!

It's supposed to be good weather tomorrow in the South but down here on the coast what often happens if there is a sudden rise ( or fall) in temperature is that we get a very grey sea mist!!

Well if that happens tomorrow I won't mind too much as am on a day of scaravelli yoga in Brighton so a nice relaxing Sunday.

• Like 5

Well, I spent Sunday afternoon sulking because I'd somehow missed out on the email informing me that Bruce Springsteen was playing Wembley :( I only found out middle of last week, by which time it was of course all sold out. And thank you, Evening Standard, that whole-page advert on Friday just saying that all the UK dates were sold out was REALLY helpful :(

Wish me luck for next weekend.  The celebrations being planned by our village are enough to make me a raging republican - completely OTT.

I am missing most of them (in Birmingham where musical DD is playing some jazz, and then off to see Love and Friendship in the evening, meeting stage manager son Sunday morning) but back in time to sing a duet of Scarborough Fair at tail end of aforementioned village celebrations.  Lucky me, I get to do the harmonies.  I am not looking forward to this at all - can you tell?

Wish me luck for next weekend. The celebrations being planned by our village are enough to make me a raging republican - completely OTT.

I am missing most of them (in Birmingham where musical DD is playing some jazz, and then off to see Love and Friendship in the evening, meeting stage manager son Sunday morning) but back in time to sing a duet of Scarborough Fair at tail end of aforementioned village celebrations. Lucky me, I get to do the harmonies. I am not looking forward to this at all - can you tell?

You sound like you live in my village!! The preparations for this weekend have been going on for over a year. The two self appointed organisers have been getting increasingly frustrated that the other 100 or so occupants of our village have lost interest. There are only so many fetes, coffee mornings, lent lunches that a community of less than 50 houses can support. By luck of the draw I'm working all weekend so will miss the festivities.

• Like 1

Rather sadly, going to visit my father in a special dementia hospital where he will be for at least a month. While there he will be assessed and they will try to bring his delusions under control. It has come to a point where my mother just can not cope anymore and I doubt very much he will return home. ????

Sorry to hear that, Harwel. My mother also has dementia and has been living in a home for three years. Most families cannot cope once the dementia becomes very advanced and the person needs care and supervision round the clock. People with advanced dementia have no concept of day and night and so nights become very disturbed for the other person/people living in the house which quickly brings everybody down. Please PM me if you would like to talk about this.

• Like 1

Wishing you all the best Harwel. Sounds like you have a difficult weekend ahead.

Here is another village with a street part/fete going on. Managed to avoid being part of the planning and organising but with the main street being closed for the street party for quite a few hours, it would be difficult to avoid altogether and I daresay DH and I will have a wander around.

• Like 1

Rather sadly, going to visit my father in a special dementia hospital where he will be for at least a month. While there he will be assessed and they will try to bring his delusions under control. It has come to a point where my mother just can not cope anymore and I doubt very much he will return home.

I'm so sorry too, Harwell. I hope that your mother will get some rest while he is assessed, and that he will get the best possible care now and in the future.

• Like 1

So sorry about your father Harwel it is so difficult to see the strong person of your childhood become confused and child like.

I remember crying nearly all the way home back to Brighton because he could no longer work out how to work the toaster or work out how to pay a bill any more.

There can be a funny side though.

One weekend I went to see him and as soon as I got there he wanted me to go out and get him some Warburtons Toastie sliced bread.

But luckily I opened the fridge first and it was totally crammed up with.........Warburtons Toastie!!

Apparently he had been accosting every neighbour who passed or called round to go and get him one!!

I hope it won't be too bad for you and your mum.

• Like 1

Here is another village with a street part/fete going on. Managed to avoid being part of the planning and organising but with the main street being closed for the street party for quite a few hours, it would be difficult to avoid altogether

Funny, my current street would be ideal for a street party, given that it's already blocked off from the main road and part of it is a cul-de-sac, but nobody ever seems to organise one.

My village is basically three roads in the form of a right angled triangle and a number of cul de sacs off of them. Previous street parties have always been in little cul de sacs but this time I think they want big impact as it is the diagonal road of the triangle that is closed off - so basically no traffic through the village centre. Its amazing there is such a sense of community here as we have a school, a church and a pub and that's it and most of the school children don't live here but there does always seem to be something going on.

• Like 1

Yes I was lucky .....my dad didn't entirely disappear as can unfortunately happen. There were always times when he knew exactly who I was and could have some degree of shared conversation. And he was never aggressive with it.

The difficulty with time of day did come up eventually but once you'd explained it was only 4am and not really time for breakfast yet he was happy to go back to bed for a while!!!

• Like 1

Harwel, I'm so sorry to hear about your father. I often count my lucky stars we never had any of this with my mum. She died very peacefully in her sleep in 1999 aged 74 ,after only being diagnosed with COPD about six weeks earlier. 

• Like 1