What are you doing this weekend?

annaliesey

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well it's Friday again, and after a long and very tiring week at work I shall be dashing the 45 miles to my parents for the weekend to look after them as mum has got pneumonia and she is my dad's carer.  In between I shall be dashing backwards and forwards to Leeds for my DD's CAT lessons.  At some point I will have to do my own food shopping online, clean my own house and wash and iron school uniform for Monday.

Is it only me that find's the weekends as tiring as the weekdays?  I think that if I ever get a day to sit and relax I might just go to sleep and never wake up!

Oh well!  Roll on Monday! 

I hope your mother is better soon, Huddsballetmum. What a worry for you. We are moving our youngest ex dd into her new flat. She wants to be independent. I'm fine with this but she wants us to transport her and her possessions and help move them...

• Like 2

Sorry to hear about your Mum Hudds. I do hope she is on the mend but I know that pneumonia is very debilitating.

I am visiting my very best friend. Tomorrow we are seeing the BRB matinee in Cheltenham and we are spending a lot of time chewing the cud!

• Like 2

We are moving our youngest ex dd into her new flat. She wants to be independent. I'm fine with this but she wants us to transport her and her possessions and help move them...

:lol:

• Like 1

Thanks for the kind thoughts about mum.  She is frail but at home and now has a sparkly clean house, stocked food cupboards and plenty of meals ready to take out of the Fridge/freezer and reheat.  Hopefully that will keep both her and my dad going until next weekend.  Its times like this I wish they lived nearer!!

• Like 1

After reading your post Huddsbm.... ....only this morning....I feel just how lucky I was to be able to spend a restful whole day on a scaravelli yoga course yesterday here in Brighton.

The years where we end up caring for our parents can be very stressful especially if any length of travelling involved no matter how much we may love them.

Anyway do look after yourself as well .....perhaps at least an evening a week doing something you really love? Something to keep you sane while doing all that running around after loved ones!

• Like 3

Sorry to hear about your parents Hudds but glad you had a productive weekend. It's hard when you don't live nearby - that's why my dad moved to be near us after my mum died.

My dad moved into his new home last Monday - it's a lovely place with caring staff but he's not overly impressed! My SIL's been visiting most days along with visits from my nephews. He's better some days than others and unfortunately want great when I visited on Sunday but I'm just glad he's safe and being looked after.

Had a lovely day on Saturday - went to a dog show and won Best Puppy and then 2nd in the Puppy Gundog Group. And my older one won Reserve Best of Breed. Our ring was moved outside so we had a lovely time sat in the great weather.

• Like 4

LinMM - I've got 3 at the mo.  The flatcoated retriever who's my avatar (he was less than a year old in the photo and he was 7 last October!).  The other two are Welsh Springer Spaniels - one's year 4 and the other's nearly 7 months old - will try to put a photo on :)

• Like 3

And the weekend will be hear again soon although I'll be pleased as the first round of A level exams will be out of the way and hopefully the teenage Lord will be a bit happier next week!!

Dd has cat scheme them Cambridgeshire youth ballet company and wants a sleepover in between which I'm not sure I can handle!

• Like 2

I will pay any money and go anywhere to avoid sleepovers, particularly 'group' sleepovers. Annaliesey, you have a good excuse: your son is doing his A Levels and mustn't have his sleep disturbed. That should fend off requests for a few weeks!

• Like 2

Husband and son have just left home for Wembley to watch the FA Cup final. They are long time Crystal Palace supporters and attend most home matches. My son was a mascot when he was six (August 2004) and that particular match was the club's first one following its return to the Premiership after several years. As a boy my husband was a Man U supporter and he still follows them with interest but in head to heads CP wins out. I fear that they will return disappointed this evening. Supporting the Eagles is a labour of love.

• Like 3

NOT watching the FA Cup Final.  It's ironic that, the first time in probably decades that I actually *wanted* to watch it, I have another, more pressing, engagement :) 

Go Eagles.  Just play your best - nobody can ask more of you than that.

• Like 1

I only wish DD would let us help her with revision. She will occasionally ask to be tested but otherwise says it's her job as they are her exams and that she would rather get on with it on her own.

I know this bodes well for the future and for her university career - and she has always been very self-contained and more than able to manage academics, ballet, music and sports so it's entirely in character - but it would be nice to be needed on a practical level occasionally!

Be grateful that your DD is like this, Legseleven. The alternative is constant nagging, lots of arguments and complaints of micro-managing your child's life when you check up on him/her / ask what s/he is doing / make suggestions etc. It took *me* three months to recover from my son's GCSEs and the run up to the exams was pretty turbulent in our household. It was a marathon as well: 27 exams plus an oral in six weeks because the school did all the exams at the end of year 11. I shudder when I think back to this period.

• Like 1

Well I had the most wonderful day at The Hepworth in Wakefield.

This wonderful gallery is celebrating its 5th birthday this weekend and there have been a number of events.

I love the light, airy galleries that are well laid out.  There is a permanent Barbara Hepworth display and changing exhibitions.  One of the current exhibitions is a photographic study of rhubarb farmers - it is fabulous.

Today we saw a singer and accordionist from Opera North performing in front of some David Hockney paintings and a local gospel choir singing in the foyer.  Of course my highlight was seeing some of Northern Ballet's dancers performing three short pieces choreographed by company members.

If you are near Wakefield it is definitely worth spending a couple of hours there.  The cafe is super too.

• Like 1

Well, barring the disappointing football result, I had a good evening.  I *actually got to see* the front left-hand corner of the stage in The Winter's Tale for the first time in this run, and it makes a big difference!  Plus since it was an early start performance I actually got to make my last train for once in my life: that was all fine, except that it was full of disconsolate Crystal Palace fans - and Transport for London totally screwed up my onward transport links :(

So, some good, some bad.