What are you doing this weekend?

annaliesey

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Lisa, that is definitely the best way to go and I'm sure what most of us hope for, although, 74 wasn't very old really was it?

No but she had life long health problems. She contracted TB when she was 21. There was no cure for it in those days so all they could do was remove her left lung in the hope it wouldn't spread to the other one too. Luckily it didn't but she spent seven years all through her twenties in a sanitarium where she was not allowed to get out of bed even for ten minutes. She told me even in winter time they had to keep all the windows on the wards wide open so they would get plenty of fresh air. She said there used to be piles of snow inside just under the window every winter. She struggled to breathe her whole life. Just walking up the stairs used to leave her exhausted. Of course she wasn't fit to work. Unfortunately nobody advised her that she was entitled to any disability money.We as a family [me ,mum and my sister] lived on her £36 a week benefit and £4.00 a week child benefit. It was only about ten years before she died that someone advised her and us that she was entitled to more money. She of course got the highest rate of Attendance Allowance. It couldn't be backdated by 40 odd years though of course. One of the side effects of her Tuberculosis was the medication they all had to take every day for about ten years after surgery. It gave them severe vomiting and the other as well, every day, for hours at a time none stop. Mum told me she persevered with this medication for a few years for as long as she could but in the end just couldn't live like that any longer. She stopped taking the medication which made her develop chronic constant Bronchitis. The poor woman would cough up sputum [sorry if anyone's eating!] all day long every day. It was incessant and never ever stopped. It was really embarrassing for her, so she hardly went anywhere. So although she was only 74 when she died to be honest, it was a miracle she lived as long as she did.But she had had two husbands and two daughters and was able to see her youngest daughter dance at the Moulin Rouge, which she was delighted about and meant her one and only trip abroad her whole life.

Edited by Lisa O`Brien

Well good luck there Alison!

I ve finally decided in cautious older age group that perhaps the devil you know is better than the devil you don't in the end. Perhaps if I was a lot younger I'd feel differently though.

• 2 weeks later...

Not to rub it in or anything but my weekend starts tonight!!  Birthday celebrations for my DD tomorrow and Prom on Friday - mum's taxi service is alive and well!!

Happy Birthday to your DD.

Not to rub it in but I have 7-day weekends!

• Like 2

Me too it's l-o-v-e-r-l-y!!

Mind you on good days I do feel a tad guilty as have enough energy to be working full time!!

However if I was would probably not last long before wanted out again!!!

• Like 1

My weekend really started last night when all three children were present in the same room at the same time.  Stage Manager son now off on the road again (it's what he does as relaxation in his holidays from the "day time" stage manager job).  Ballet son home for a couple of months (hooray!)  Musician daughter home for a long weekend.  Music festival tonight and tomorrow - I haven't been for years so am curiously looking forwards to this.  Jazz workshop in Birmingham Saturday, with a side trip to the Geology museum at Birmingham University.  Let's see if she really does want to do Geology A level ..  AirBnB overnight then back to school on Sunday, and start clearing the room for the end of term.  Only problem is, it's very near Glastonbury so a little apprehensive about the return journey.

• Like 3

I'm looking forward to all 3 of mine together on Sunday too :)  - 2 home from uni and oldest visiting as we'll have a belated Fathers' Day (hubby was away last weekend).  And a wedding tomorrow (work friend of said hubby) - should be a posh do - haven't been to a wedding (except for an evening reception recently) for aaaaages.  Good excuse to put a nice dress on!

• Like 3

Having popped over to Aldeburgh for fish and chips on the beach, on the way back to the car I swerved to avoid bumping into a guy on the pavement.  It was only when my wife went all googly eyed and started babbling like a teenager that I realised it was Tom Hiddleston.

• Like 2

Oooo I know that fish and chip shop in Aldeburgh we've queued there many times .....my partner is really into fish and chips and Aldeburgh....if it is the one just off the sea front ....is one of his favourite.

His no.one at mo is the Pilot Inn at Dungeness.

As to Tom Hiddleston I honestly cannot see what all the fuss is about.....does nothing at all for me I'm afraid.

• Like 1

I'm going to be working for at least part of it, unfortunately, having got too distracted yesterday - but am thanking my lucky stars I quoted my new German client in sterling and not in euros.

Apart from that - probably cleaning (i.e. watching) some tennis matches off the hard drive so I can fit the Wimbledon coverage on there.  I apparently still haven't learned that it's wall-to-wall tennis on terrestrial TV from late May onwards, and it always catches me unawares just how much space it takes up :)

As to Tom Hiddleston I honestly cannot see what all the fuss is about.....does nothing at all for me I'm afraid.

I did ask my wife "apart from fame, youth, looks, height, hair and money, what has he got that I haven't?'  She chose not to reply, so I take that as a win.

The fish and chip shop there is pretty much our local - we're only twenty minutes away.  The wild flowers on the beach are glorious at the moment, particularly the big drifts of valerian.

• Like 2

Having popped over to Aldeburgh for fish and chips on the beach, on the way back to the car I swerved to avoid bumping into a guy on the pavement. It was only when my wife went all googly eyed and started babbling like a teenager that I realised it was Tom Hiddleston.

He is a local! Hope you missed the downpours as well.

Lin we used to live near Dungeness, they used to have the hugest cat I've ever seen.

• Like 3

Just got back from rehearsing for Alive Ballets performance in couple of weeks. A few enjoyable hours at least away from all the Political chaos going on!

If anyone is interested we are performing on July 9 th at the Chelsea Community theatre....just off Kings Road but a bit of a way down...at Worlds End.

We are performing works on the Seasons ( but only one work has THE Seasons music) spring summer winter autumn etc.

The shows are at 5.30 and 8pm

Posted on a Monday, I know, but:

This weekend I:

1)  Cleaned the house from top to bottom, and did all the laundry and ironing.

2)  Completed all oustanding paperwork and filing

3) Did a fortnight's worth of shopping.

4) Told all my friends that I was only available for communication before midday.

Yes, I am ready for Wimbledon.  :D

Have I forgotten anything?  :unsure:

• Like 6

Not a great fan of tennis myself but what an achievement Fonty!! You deserve to put your feet up....well in the evenings anyway ...and enjoy the Wimbledon ups and downs!

Hope Murray can do it to cheer us all up!!

• Like 1

So this weekend supposed to be spent on preparation for Ballet school exam day. (Parents often have no idea what goes on behind the scenes!)

Numpty gorgeous son walks from Tring to Watlington. Then realises he has left the keys to his flat in my bedroom. And the spare is with his girlfriend in Portugal!

Don't we love our children!! Even when fully grown men!

• Like 5

Went to the music festival prize giving last night, to pick up my daughter's trophies (she's back at school).  There really is something to be said for being able to watch these things without having to worry about your children's performance.  Dancing son accompanied me, and his caricatures this morning of some of the performers were a little unkind but very, very funny.  

On a side note, the number of competitors is falling alarmingly.  I suspect the days of 48 entering  the age 6 and under set piece are past.  OK, maybe that's not such a bad thing, I still bear the mental scars from sitting through that one. But is it the same in ballet festivals?

Meadowblythe

I've had a lovely weekend watching my dd perform

Saturday night was the year end performance at NSCD and then Sunday evening was spent watching her dance in a new troupe at festival.  Both performances were brilliant and the troupe took first place so a good weekend.

Also managed to fit in the washing, the ironing, the weekly food shop, and the gardening.  

Back to work for a rest!!  :)

• Like 2

Thinking ahead to the weekend already.... eldest son's 23rd birthday on Saturday and he's managed to swap his shift at the gym to come home for the weekend. Other 2 back from uni and hubby not disappearing off on a work trip - so we're all getting together - yay. Plus the in-laws coming round (not a bad thing as often quite entertaining!)

And weirdly - it's his first birthday not being a full-time dancer (either student or professional) for 13 years! Many birthdays spent apart for end of year shows!!

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

Musical daughter is playing with the CBSO Youth Orchestra this weekend.  Third year of auditioning, so pleased she got a place - turns out to be an even more impressive achievement as she is in year 11 and all others accepted are at Conservatoire!  So a weekend in Birmingham (hooray! still miss it!) with the concert on Sunday evening.

Any suggestions for a film to see while we are there?

• Like 5