Healthy recipies

Dd has to create an app for IT homework. She has decided to create a recipie ap for dancers with nutritious recipies that are easy to make at the end of a long day or easily transportable so you arnt reliant on junk food.

She is also keen to include a couple of vegan options. She found a breakfast smoothie recipie online but we discussed the fact that a smoothie for breakfast was not going to sustain a dancer etc.

So does anyone have any favourite recipies?

How about salmon fillet, stir fry vegetables and cottage cheese but make sure you heat the pan until it's very hot so you only have to put a tiny bit of oil for the vegetables. It only takes a few minutes to cook and it's even quicker when you have a bag of pre cut veggies so it's good after a long day. You have a spoonful of cottage cheese so it isn't dry and you can always add extras such as a boiled egg etc. I cook the salmon separately by if it has the skin, part frying it then putting it in the microwave for 3 mins but you can always peel the skin off if you don't want to eat it. I do not know if this is the healthiest and I am not an expert but I know it's better than a takeaway pizza or McDonalds, or at least I think! Hope it helps :)

Edited by PrincessandtheFrog

Well I am not sure I would call them healthy, but I have a selection of well used vegan cake/ brownie etc recipes as my youngest is allergic to both egg and dairy produce. I'm happy to share if they would be any help.

in terms of portable savoury food my DD is very keen on lentil loaf which if made the day before and refrigerated slices up quite well for a packed lunch. Also slices of spanish omlette, falafel and cold pasta or couscous salads make a good change from sandwiches for meals on the go.

• Like 2

Ready bags of stir fry vegetables can be even healthier if you poach in stock rather than fry.  Put 250 ml (approx.) of water into a saucepan with half a vegetable stock cube.  When it has dissolved and the stock is boiling tip in the vegetables and cook for 3-4 minutes, depending how crunchy or soft you like them.   You can eat this hot as vegetable soup, or drain and use as a cooked vegetable.  Any leftovers (or the whole thing) when cold make really nice vegetable salads.  Add nuts, cheese, cold meats - whatever takes your fancy.

The salmon one sounds similar to something I've cooked for dh before.

I tend to wrap salmon in tin foil & pop it in the oven so it cooks in its own juices but it does take a bit longer.

I tend to poach in stock a lot too. Dh especially likes the knorr stock cubes for chicken & fish.

The lentil loaf recipie sounds useful (a couple of her classmates are vegan hence why she wants to include these recipies)

• Like 1

A smoothie can be substantial enough if it contains the right things. I don't know what recipie she looked at but this is mine for a kale smoothie and has been approved by my nutritionist. Admittedly it hasn't been tested for dance but it made a good mid afternoon snack during a long cheerleading training session or as a long lasting energy breakfast. The amounts are rough, you can add more protein if it's a difficult day. It's also vegan :)

Kale smoothie: 1 bannana, handful of kale, handful of spinach, handful of goji berries, 2 tablespoons of flaxseed, 2 tablespoons of hemp protein powder, handful of another fruit (frozen is good such as frozen berries), enough water to blend (can also use a fruit juice instead)

• Like 1

DD is at college with a lovely girl who has an enormous following on Instagram for her fabulous healthy food and lifestyle. Google Clean Eating Alice ......she really is inspirational!! I think your DD will find more than enough recipes!!

I find that for recipes such as cakes & cookies, the vegan version is better even if you aren't vegan, as they tend to be lower in fat due to the omission of butter.... Also, in some cake recipes, using oats instead of flour can make it healthier, giving the cake more of a cereal bar texture, so good for long-lasting energy.

Does anyone know of any good recipes with tofu?

• Like 1

For vegan food that can be taken for lunch brown/white rice with vegetables can easily be cooked for dinner and leftovers used, or quorn do chicken pieces or slices and my friends and I used to snack on during whole days of dance, they're almost entirely protiens(some quorn isn't vegan though)

When making cakes/bars using wholewheat flour and brown sugar means you can use less sugar but still get the sweet taste and adding things such as raisins or nuts can bulk things out and give added sweetness!

I am extremely fussy and I really enjoy banana bread as a breakfast or a snack or peppers and hummus acts as a good snack too' you can get miniature pots of hummus or put some in a small Tupperware for taking out of the house.

I'd also echo the healthy pancake suggestion- there are so many simple, gluten free or vegan recipes online that aren't stall unhealthy for dancers to consume even regularly!

My non DD is a keen cook and athlete. Her favourite is finely diced veggies eg leeks, peppers, onions, broccoli and kale. Cooked in a pan with a dash of sesame oil and an egg broken over to bind together. It's great for using left overs - last night she added diced roast pork, sometimes lardons, tuna etc Quick and easy!