RAD Senior Grade solo variation

hfbrew

Any of you fellow dance teachers still have the old RAD Senior Grade syllabus?

One of my pianists unearthed the music and I was able to remember most of the variation save a little section in the middle! I was teaching it to my adults and adjusted the choreography but I'd love to see the actual version to see how close I am to the original!

Wish I'd kept all the syllabi from years ago!

Any of you fellow dance teachers still have the old RAD Senior Grade syllabus?

One of my pianists unearthed the music and I was able to remember most of the variation save a little section in the middle! I was teaching it to my adults and adjusted the choreography but I'd love to see the actual version to see how close I am to the original!

Wish I'd kept all the syllabi from years ago!

I remember every step of it.!!

• Like 1

If I heard the music I would remember it ! Wasn't there a balancees ( spell check ! ) step soutenu section ? The last bit was : chassee coupe chassee temps leve , right , then left , followed by step turn step with sort of Spanish feel 4 th arms . Pose turn , soutenu something or other at the end . Incorrect spellings but I'm sure it'll make sense to you hbrew !!!

• Like 3

I also remember every step of this variation, Lisa - I also took the exam in 1981 or 1982 - plus the music. I loved every moment of it.  You're right tutugirl, it was pose turn, releve in 5th, pose assemble soutenu, releve devant and releve passe at the end I think (apologies for wrong names/spellings etc, I'm very ancient now!)

DD's teacher has the old RAD syllabus in question on her bookshelf, hfbrew (I often have a look through and marvel at the content of the old children's grades) - I will ask if I can borrow it, copy the Senior Grade variation and send it to you :-) 

Edited by Legseleven
  • Like 2

Oh please do, its the middle section I can't quite get after the first lot of balances, I've a feeling there may have been some pas de chats of progressive heights!

I remember the beginning and ending very well!

I did my exam in 1980!

• Like 1

Is there such a thing as a sissone over? I am dancing it in my head and thinking sissone over (?doesn't sound at all right!), pas de chat landing in 4th, pas de chat landing in 5th, releve in 5th, then repeat? Then 5 balances de cote and pose assemble soutenu en tournant, 2 sissones ferme, assemble over, temps leve onto one foot (definitely not the right term!), 4 balances de cote en tournant, then I completely lose all sense of even remotely correct terminology for the next section although I can do it (still in my head, panic not dear readers!)....ooooh, now I can't wait to get to the studio and borrow the syllabus so we can be out of our misery and I can see whether my memory is more or less right and what the steps are actually called!! 

I am hoping this will stave off the death of my grey cells in trying to remember a dance I did at 10 or 11! 

• Like 3

And ta da - I now have the syllabus in front of me (couldn't wait for DD's class so I dropped in to pick it up ;-)) - it is indeed demi - contretemps, demi-seconde, pas de chat to 4th en face, arms 3rd, pas de chat to 5th, R arm to 5th, releve with epaulement looking to raised hand. I'm so impressed :-)

In passing, I see that this syllabus included pirouettes from 5th from Grade 3 onwards. Goodness.

• Like 3

Ellie, I will see if I can somehow post the entire variation. If not I will PM you if you would like me to send it to you. :)

No ! You can't PM me !!! Fiz, hfbrew et al need to know too ! (Thank you :) ) x

• Like 5

I am envisaging middle aged ballet ladies temps leve-ing around their living rooms this weekend recreating their senior grade year....Wonderful ! (I have ye olde vocational syllabus if anyone is interested) x

• Like 3

3 pas de chats and a pas de bouree ?! I remember the temps leve, balance (I think? I could be making it all up though !) am trying to remember the rest !

I`m almost certain there were only 2 pas de chats. Followed by releve in 5th,then repeat the other way.

Lisa, you're right! See my post 15, written in giddy excitement with the syllabus in front of me ;)

Ladies, never fear - I shall do my utmost to get the entire variation onto here this weekend. And I fear you could be correct, Ellie in that I may try to do the variation 'in the flesh' rather than in my head. I will be sadly disappointed that the mental image of my performance will not be matched by the reality.....

And Ellie, I still have nightmares about the set adage for Elementary in the early 80s and the fact that I could have been asked to perform it en dedans and with a rise at the end. DD's vocational examiner teacher always laughs and agrees with me about what an absolute shocker it was. So I'm not sure that ye olde vocational syllabus is something I'd want to revisit, ha ha!

• Like 5

Anyone remember the Bird Cage polka?!

My dreaded exercise was pivots in 2nd in old intermediate.

And in elementary petits jetes by half turn.

And from a teaching point of view how did we get primaries to polka? In between retying ribbons and sashes? Remember the white primary dresses anyone?

Edited by hfbrew
  • Like 1

Oh yes, I remember the primary White dress! And the bird cage polka. Now you mention it those pivots in second were also a horror to me, then of course the fouettés in advanced. Seem to remember individual things but not whole sequences. I see to remember a mazurka dance too (not what was in it of course) I think grade 3?

Edited by Harwel

Ha ha, we were talking about the white dresses and sashes (did we all wear pink satin sashes or was it pink, blue, white and yellow??!) recently. Mine was white broderie anglaise and I loved it. And yes, how on earth did 5 or 6 year olds polka in pairs 'so close you could keep a folded newspaper between your chests'???

I don't remember the steps of the birdcage polka (and it must have been recorded separately from the syllabus as it isn't written out in there) but I do remember all steps and music for the Breton dance (grade 2) - I can hear my teacher's voice saying 'pas de basque and heel - and peep' - and the music with most of the steps for the tarantella (grade 3). I have absolutely no memory at all of the grade 4 dance, though.

In terms of the old intermediate and advanced, yes pivots in second still give me the heebie-jeebies - well, pretty much all of those syllabi did if I'm honest - but it's definitely still the elementary adage top of the nightmare pops.

• Like 1

The birdcage polka was grade 1 I think? Will check the trusty syllabus but I think it was the teacher's own choice and choreography of a dance for primary. Our leotards for grade 1 were that thick nylon (oh, thank goodness for Lycra) and were pale bue with a skirt attached, Fiz. I always wanted them to be pink so I would have been very jealous of yours!

• Like 1

My first dancing school had the pink leotards with the little pleated skirt attached in pink but when we moved house the new school all had blue. To save money Mum tried to dye mine and I ended up with purple (with pink stitching)! Also remember birdcage and tarentella dances. Was the Bretton one the one with an apron? I didn't do anything after grade 4 as it was obvious by then that my body wasn't up to it (hip and lack of flexability problems) but my sister continued with senior grade which i remember had just been introduced and the vocationals.